Cool Sights In The Big City

RedScare

On a just-barely-related note: Many people know that Service Corporation International, the world's largest funeral home company, is headquartered in Houston.

What most people don't know is that there is a cafeteria in the basement of their building.

Even fewer people know its nickname is "The Coffin Cafe."

Good Bar-b-que, they use only the choicest, freshest, cuts of meat. ;) BTW, ask to sit in Leatherface's section when you get there, great service. A little dangerous with the utensils though.

On a just-barely-related note: Many people know that Service Corporation International, the world's largest funeral home company, is headquartered in Houston.

What most people don't know is that there is a cafeteria in the basement of their building.

I thought American General was the world's largest funeral company?

Or maybe I have become massibly confused, yet again...?

*And (I believe Jmancuso corrected me on this one) that Buffalo Bayou was named after the Buffalo Gar, not the actual Buffalo. :)

The Arboritum in Memorial Park.

The Japanese Gardens in Herman Park.

The rose garden in Herman park.

The kiddie train at the zoo.

The Rothco Chapel.

City Hall lobby.

Julia Ideson Library.

Chase Bank lobby in the Esperson Building.

The downtown tunnel system-take an afternoon and get lost under ground!

The CAM.

The Menil.

I think all of the above are free except the Japanese Gardens and the train.

B)

I believe the Forbidden Gardens is closed. The place looks kinda ratty right now, and I haven't seen the gates open in sometime.

It is? I went about a year and a half ago. I thought it was really interesting, and I spoke with some of the people there and they said it was expanding. You could also see some of the new buildings they were going to have.

With a name like that, it seems like they should be closed.

"Forbidden Gardens - No Trespassing!"

It is actually a very neat place. This very very wealthy Chinese businessman, apparently just had no idea what to do with his money. His collective wealth afforded him to be very eccentric, so he decided to make his own "Forbidden City" to rival the actual Emporer's palace, He has quite a few of the famed "Guardsmen of the City" as to replicate every facet of the Emperor's city. Some are actually from the Forbidden city, the others were cast here, based on the originals as a model. I think he has lost interest though, the flags are all tathered and torn. I believe I read an article that he has built this thing to actually be his final resting place when he dies. I only wonder what will happen to the place as soon as they start building the northern part of 99 Grand Parkway ? <_<

So one day did he just fire everyone and lock the doors?

I don't know th ewhole story on that, but I'm gonna chalk it up to lack of interest, he still has a security guard or two I'm sure, if he didn't there would be graffitti all over it. :D

1/5th of an inch to the left is all it would take for me not to look retarded.

Not my fault the B is so close to the V :P

It's ok Montrose, I got fat finger syndrome also. I'm here for you bro. :D

I assume that people are just dying to get in there.

• 3 years later...
Has anyone been to the Telephone Museum?

The one on Ashland? No, but I drive by the sign almost every day and say I should check it out. Then when I'm bored it never comes to mind. It's like 5 blocks from me, I should just walk over and check it out.

The one on Ashland? No, but I drive by the sign almost every day and say I should check it out. Then when I'm bored it never comes to mind. It's like 5 blocks from me, I should just walk over and check it out.

I always thought "hm, that's a funny place to put a Telephone Museum." I've never gotten around to it either.

Finally went to Bayou Bends when I found it on accident a few years ago.

I haven't been there yet despite living close by for the better part of ten years, mainly due to their very limited operating hours, but I do know a few things about it.

If you go, they are only open on Tuesdays from 9-12. However, you can call the phone number and schedule a guided tour by appointment if you have a group of 10 or more people. It is run by a group of retired telephone workers, and I believe AT&T gave them the space to display the collection. The building's been up for sale for a while, but no one's bit on it in the current economic climate. If it sells, they'll have to relocate the collection elsewhere, probably to another AT&T-owned facility.

The collection is large and well-organized, and the volunteers who lead the tours are a fount of knowledge on all sorts of arcane telephone lore. My wife took a tour group there recently and was extremely impressed by it. If you're even remotely interested, my advice is to go sooner rather than later - their future in the present location is obviously unclear, and most of the people who run it aren't getting any younger.

-National Museum of Funeral History - Houston (good for the Goth kids) B)

Mrs. Porchman and I went the NMFH today. It's pretty cool. They have a lot of different exhibits on funeral traditions. I was particularly impressed with their hearse collection which dates back to the mid-19th century (many from Robert Waltrip's collection), and the array of programs and momentos from funerals of the famous. They sort of lack an overarching examination of funeral custom, but the various, individual sections of the museum are great. I highly recommend it.

Archived