Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

On 3/4/2007 at 12:55 PM, mkultra25 said:

I suspect you're thinking of a different restaurant, but this made me think of Ta Hua, which used to be in the strip center on the east side of Post Oak just north of Westheimer (the one anchored by Container Store on one end and Oshman's superstore on the other). Ta Hua wasn't exactly upscale, but they had dependably good Americanized Chinese food, and I have many fond memories of it as my wife and I used to be semi-frequent diners there when we were first dating. They moved to a much larger location way out on Memorial a few years ago. We went there once, but it was simply too far to drive when there are plenty of other Chinese restaurants that are much closer, and the new location didn't have the funky charm of the old one, which always seemed to be fairly dark and a bit cramped inside.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently my husband and I revisited Houston after being gone for nearly 37 years. Yes ....so much has changed! We found ourselves looking for one particular restaurant but couldn't exactly  remember where it was. We believe "The Best Little Steak House in Texas" was on Wirt Rd. Anyone remember this place?

So, I'm youngish and there's some places I've been going to for my twenties that shut down recently and I'm sad about it and want to share here. One would be Happy Fatz on White Oak, they did a fancy hot dog and baked goods (cakes and cake balls and interesting pies), Italian sodas, fancy coffees and the like, and surprisingly good salads. I miss it. I also miss Pop & Pan the well reviewed and liked panini and popcorn place that shut down mysteriously a month or two ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2018 at 9:55 AM, Jose Torres said:

Attached are photos when my brother visited some years ago I think in 2007 and him with my father in front of Cardet's Cafe in the 70's.

167541_187689294577261_6811883_n.jpg

166260_187692334576957_4837775_n.jpg

21567_107900972556094_69438_n.jpg

On 5/12/2018 at 9:43 AM, Jose Torres said:

Lived there from 1975 -80, I was 10 years old when we left back to Miami. My mother Josefa was one cooking in the kitchen during that time. We lived upstairs. Hector Cardet and his family lived above the Market on the corner. Chances are that I was running around the front of the restaurant during that time. 

You wouldn't happen to have the recipe for the garlic sauce and the fried pork chunks served at Latina Cafe would you?  I think it was a pineapple based mojo sauce?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/21/2019 at 9:15 AM, Huy Le said:

I love Ta Hua dumpling. Just found a dumpling place named Dumpling King on Westheimer, serving dumpling, dipping ginger sauce and its menu exactly like the old Ta Hua on Post Oak. Not sure its relationship with Ta Hua

Ah, Dumpling King, when I first moved back to Houston from college in '98, I lived on Westheimer at Fondren, picked up takeout from Dumpling King all the time, I probably had everything on their menu. Can't believe it's now been 20 years (moved downtown in January 2000) since I ate there. Glad to hear they're still around.

On 12/18/2019 at 12:50 PM, Reefmonkey said:

Ah, Dumpling King, when I first moved back to Houston from college in '98, I lived on Westheimer at Fondren, picked up takeout from Dumpling King all the time, I probably had everything on their menu. Can't believe it's now been 20 years (moved downtown in January 2000) since I ate there. Glad to hear they're still around.

It's been there longer than that...records indicate it's been there since at least 1990.

• The title was changed to Barbecue Place On Boardway - Shoping Strip - Ice Cream Shop - And Much More!
  • 1 month later...
On 7/16/2009 at 9:31 AM, spiderroller said:

I remember a "Lee's Den" on South Main.... some of the best Chinese Food ever in Houston.... ate there many times as a child with my parents.

I haven't read this whole thread... but... will always remember the Shakey's Pizza on Bellaire Blvd. (now Enterprise Car Rental, and next to Baskin Robbins and Dunkin Donuts which are STILL there!)...... and...... Alfie's Fish & Chips... there were many Alfie's all over town, but we spent many a childhood asking for extra "chips" at the one in the strip center behind the Dunkin Donuts on Bellaire Blvd. Come to think of it.. right across the street where there is a big bank (in front of Bellaire Post Office)... was... Kip's Big Boy!

Was there an Alfie's Fish-N-Chips on South Shepherd?

• 1 month later...

Please!!! There was a steakhouse/bar-b-que place on Stella Link right before Bellaire Blvd back in the 60's that I think began with a C (but I wouldn't swear to that). They served an amazing cheese spread at each table to spread on your crackers. Help me remember!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 7:42 AM, gnu said:

Corn Dog 7?

i used to love the corn dog 7 at the woodlands mall!!!! dang i forgot about that place and pretty much went there every mall visit haha!

Edited by gene

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, rcseptemple@gmail. said:

Any memories of Bill Miller Steakhouse on OST?

That would be something interesting to learn about. Your wrote "OST" so I take it you are not confusing the restaurant with Bill Williams that was on Main Street. There is a Bill Miller's chain of bar-b-que restaurants in and around San Antonio. I believe the closest one to Houston is in Seguin at Interstate 10 and Texas 46.

On 8/4/2005 at 7:50 PM, BayouCityGirl said:

Mr. Gatti's (their still around somewhere)

Showbiz Pizza (AKA Chuck E. Cheese)

Del Taco (their still around!)

JoJo's (breakfast house...y'all know what I am talking about right?)

Champs

I remembered going to Chuck E. Cheese back in the day.

• 4 weeks later...

Fond memories of  Bavarian Garden, Rosnovsky’s, Mexico City, Alfred’s Deli, Chuckwagon, Sonny Look’s (my first baked potato!), Hillman’s, Dobb’s House, even Monterey House. Original James, Last Concert, Antone’s. Drawing some blanks on my trip down memory lane: all from early 1970s: BBQ joint on Telephone near Hobby; speciality was chopped BBQ brisket baked inside a loaf of bread. Burger joint on Cullen in a new strip mall across Cullen from the main entrance to UH and the student center; had pitchers of beer and local bands on weekends. Burger joint on Washington near downtown in an old schoolhouse (Abbott’s?). Tex-Mex place (Las Cazuelas?) on Quitman near North Main, second floor (recollect a store below); was my place for nachos and beer. 

You mention two of my all-time favorite eateries. I remember that BBQ place on Telephone near Hobby Airport, especially that incredible chopped beef stuffed into half an unsliced loaf of bread. That was a serious meal. Laz Cazuelas on Quitman was another favorite. My wife and I would drop in there for very late night beer and tacos. Most of its clientele were Hispanics, which is a sure sign that the food is gonna be good. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just this week I was trying to remember a fancy restaurant my parents took me to in the 70's. I was born in '64. It was out of our league, but so exciting. What I recall is elephants, and maybe other African animals, and a spacious stand-alone place (not Harry's Kenya in the base of a downtown building, nor a strip mall) that was maybe east of Spring Branch. The interior was cream and gold. That's pretty much all I have. Does anyone's memory fit that description? African, or Middle-Eastern, or possibly Asian. I was not accustomed to any of those cultures and I just loved the experience. Thanks in advance!

22 hours ago, celestedawn said:

Just this week I was trying to remember a fancy restaurant my parents took me to in the 70's. I was born in '64. It was out of our league, but so exciting. What I recall is elephants, and maybe other African animals, and a spacious stand-alone place (not Harry's Kenya in the base of a downtown building, nor a strip mall) that was maybe east of Spring Branch. The interior was cream and gold. That's pretty much all I have. Does anyone's memory fit that description? African, or Middle-Eastern, or possibly Asian. I was not accustomed to any of those cultures and I just loved the experience. Thanks in advance!

I seem to recall an African-themed restaurant (or possibly bar) on the northeast corner of 610 and Richmond in the late 60s/early 70s. I want to say it was called Safari, but searching for that name proved fruitless as it only turned up much newer establishments with that name.