Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

On 6/20/2015 at 8:17 AM, Ann Cain said:
On 9/13/2004 at 2:46 PM, ssullivan said:

Several from long ago in my childhood when we used to come to Houston to see my grandparents:

-Kapan's on South Main at Kirby (where the Eckerd's is now), our usual Sunday after church lunch place - good steaks and seafood, and those excellent crab ball appetizers that the guy in the white suit used to bring around to all the tables

-Angelo's, another long gone seafood restuarant

-The Strawberry Patch on Westheimer, the Pappas family's country/home cooking concept (Pappas Bros. Steakhouse is there now)

-Tokyo Gardens, the first place I ever had Japanese ssullivan, I know you penned this 11 years ago but my heart skipped a beat when I saw you not only loved the BEST& classiest seafood restaurant in Houston, Kaphans, but you also appreciated the magnificent dining experience my sister & I loved at Tokyo Gardens!  So long ago, but my palette learned to appreciate the best and it's literally gone from Houston!   No lumb crab meat au gratin, oysters with sherry sauce, which Peter also took to tables as toothpick appetizers, and then there was the traditional and almost sacred ritual of dining at Tokyo Gardens with our shoes off, seated on the floor and a regal & graceful Japanese lady in Kumono serving us 4 course meals with the delicacy of a butterfly!   Thank you.  I just moved back home after living out of state for 30 years.  I miss the Appalachian foothills of Cincinnati, my horse and my home.....I sure wish these 2 stellar restaurants were around to soothe my soul.  

Oooooooohhhhh  Tokyo Gardens, sat on the floor.....so good. Such awesome decor. 

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is the pick me up I needed!! Can someone please tell me the name of the Chinese restaurant on the 3rd floor Galleria 2 in the 1980s?? I always wanted to eat there but when I finally grew up and got my first job I went and it was on the verge of closing down.. To help out with the location it's was where the Abercrombie and Fitch store is.. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2016 at 10:59 PM, Rexster314 said:

I don't remember seeing it, but does anyone remember getting dressed up and going to El Chico on South Main to sit on the second level to people watch? Used to really enjoy that place.

For a while didn't El Chico have a happy hour buffet thing?  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2017 at 10:07 PM, LaraAvelina said:

This thread is the pick me up I needed!! Can someone please tell me the name of the Chinese restaurant on the 3rd floor Galleria 2 in the 1980s?? I always wanted to eat there but when I finally grew up and got my first job I went and it was on the verge of closing down.. To help out with the location it's was where the Abercrombie and Fitch store is.. 

Szechuan East. I can still smell the sesame oil odor when I walk by that area of the Galleria. It was a hopping place back in the 80's, don't know what happened why it closed

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2004 at 11:59 PM, Montrose1100 said:

I miss that drive threw only burger place, and they where cheap, but the BEST! Does anyone remember? I think they had like 3 around Uptown-Westchase... I remember the color yellow, there where generally in parking lots, ONLY drive threw...

and CHECKERS!!! They had the BEST fries!!

Cinco De Mayo on Holzworth (It burned down to the ground)

Prince's, or Price's? 2 different burger places, early 60s. I liked Price's better.They had a 'secret sauce' that was like ketchup and mayo mixed, 1000 island? Their burgers were thin and crispy 'round the edges.

On 9/12/2004 at 8:23 PM, groovehouse said:

Even though it's only been gone a short time, I miss the original Antone's on Taft. The chain Antone's pale in comparison to the original locations. I don't even know how many 'original' stores exist.

I also miss ZuZu, which was on Shepherd near Fairview. It was Mexican fast food and I remember a salsa bar or something... it was quaint with good food.

Antone's! Po'boys, and pickles in barrels.

On 10/5/2005 at 9:32 AM, TJones said:

Over the years many many restaurants have come and gone in out fair city. Houston is known as "The Restaurant Capital of The World". Houston has more restaurants per capita than any other U.S. city. I started this Thread to let people list their all-time favorites, of the ones they miss the most. Does anyone remember The Rail Head and Victoria Station from back in the 70's? These were Rail Road themed restaurants, that's were really popular in the 70's and 80's. As a kid it was wonderful. At the Rail Head, they actually had a stage for music acts, surrounded by open rail cars with dining booths and tables. I used to frequent it alot when The Elliot Walter Band used to play there. My mother is really good friends with them. If you never heard of The Elliot Walter band, you have probably heard a song of their's though, it's called "Slime in the Ice Machine". Marvin Zindler's theme song. :lol:

My last year in Houston, 1972? Saw Michael Martin Murphy play songs from his first album. Calico Silver stays in my mind...

1 hour ago, CathyLyn said:

Prince's, or Price's? 2 different burger places, early 60s. I liked Price's better.They had a 'secret sauce' that was like ketchup and mayo mixed, 1000 island? Their burgers were thin and crispy 'round the edges.

Price's was like predecessor to Mickey D's. I remember nineteen cent burgers, twelve cent fries & ten cent Cokes. Prince's was more like a "regular" drive-in with car hops & a large menu - including beer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CathyLyn said:

Well I wasn't alive much less in Houston at that time. Thinking 96-01.

Does anyone remember "Hamburgers by Gourmet" that had several Southwest, Montrose, and Downtown locations. They were Flame Broiled and had several combinations. My favorite was with Barbeque Sauce. After they were gone, around 1997,  a former employee opened one on Park Place Blvd. in an old house. It just didn't fit the now Latino neighborhood. Many years before, while growing up in the East End, there was a Hamburger place on South Richey in Pasadena just south of Southmore called Kibbey's or Kibby's. They too had Flame Broiled Burgers and also had one with almost the same Barbeque Taste. Nowadays the only thing close to that taste is Bellaire Broiler Burger(originally one of the Bellaire Broiler Burger locations).

Sharpstown mall was THE BEST. I do remember Princes and Hamburgers by Gourmet. 

Spoons, on Westheimer made good burgers. I worked there. We actually thought we could compete with Chili's. HA.  You see whose still on business and who isnt....

I have vague recollections of Dirtys. BEST burgers, real casual. No one else seems to remember it, though

I remember at least three Hamburger by Gourmet locations, of which I regularly patronized two, the one on Kirby and the one on Alabama next to Saint Thomas. There was a third one on Fondren (Hillcroft?) maybe more. Don't really remember the one one on Park Place which is odd since I lived and frequented that area until the 1980's, it must not have lasted long. They've been closed for quite a while, however, I read somewhere on this site that they had reopened down south somewhere (Clear Lake?).

One of my all time favorites, I always ordered the number one with barbecue and fries.

• 4 months later...

It was Ballatori's in the original East End Bank Building on Leeland. Just down the street from Rainbow Bread at Cullen and Leeland. The owner's son is Luigi Ballatori who lives in The Woodlands. He is not a Restauranteur and works in the oil and gas Industry Industry. He is on Facebook and collects and drives Lamborghinis.

Edited by dmil

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the site. It is a treasure trove of history. I am a Houston transplant and I am enjoying learning about the city. I need your help.

Does anyone remember a pizza parlor "across the street" from/in close proximity to La Bastille Jazz Club in 1972? What advice do you have for how I can figure out the name of the pizza parlor he remembers playing a gig at across from La Bastille?

A couple weeks ago I filmed an interview with a jazz musician who was a student at Texas Southern University in 1971/72. He was a part of the school's jazz band at the time and he remembers playing at a pizza parlor "across the street" from La Bastille jazz club on Congress St. (Market Square in Houston) back in the Spring of 1972. I have done a lot of research online trying to figure out as much info as I can about La Bastille--which led me to this site.

Thanks!

Cattle Rustlers Steak Buffet - mentioned earlier in this thread.  I was thinking it had the word cattle in the name but maybe it was just called Cattle Rustlers?  I went only once, really no memories.  It was right at the first entrance to the mall parking lot on the SB feeder, where the Gaylynn theater was.

Oh visiting this site and this thread has brought back so many memories!! I was born in Houston, but grew up in Richmond, but like any Houstonian family, going out to eat every week in Houston was part of the culture here in the 60s/70s/80s. It was such a part of my life to go to one Houston restaurant or another that when I moved away from home to go to school (San Marcos) I was suddenly astonished and dismayed that the rest of the world didnt have the variety and "foodie" culture that Houston had! I was so disappointed.

Going through everyone's lists reminded me of so much! I remember The Boston Sea Party and Nantucket Inn, where I celebrated my birthday because I love seafood, but I remember eating my first raw oysters with my Dad at the Blue Oyster Club.

We also went to the Mason Jar and the Strawberry Patch quite a lot - Mom and Dad liked the omelets at the latter place. They would also spend their anniversaries at places like The Great Caruso and Vargos. 

I remember when Good Times Charlie opened up at Sharpstown and hearing the music there.  I also remember Piper Pizza, Atchafalaya (that came out in the 90s, I remember as well as Ralph & Kacoos). There used to be a restaurant where the Town & Country Mall used to be - I'd never been in it but my husband had and he loved it, saying it had a big tree in the middle. It reminded him of some of the fantasy books he used to read. Anyway, all that's long gone now, including the Mall. 

Someone else mentioned Westwood Mall - I trolled that place a lot myself in my teenage years! I remember there used to be a little restaurant in the food court there called "Olga's" and it served gyros. 

Does anyone remember a seafood restaurant called "Christie's"? It used to be in the Braeswood area I think - its where i had my first taste of broiled flouder and it was for the longest while considered to be one of the best seafood restaurants in the area...

Edited by ThisKindredSpirit

On 8/11/2017 at 6:18 AM, brucesw said:

Cattle Rustlers Steak Buffet - mentioned earlier in this thread.  I was thinking it had the word cattle in the name but maybe it was just called Cattle Rustlers?  I went only once, really no memories.  It was right at the first entrance to the mall parking lot on the SB feeder, where the Gaylynn theater was.

I remember that place too!! It was called Cattle Rustlers Steakhouse and it was BIG when "Urban Cowboy" and Willie Nelson's "Red Headed Stranger" came out. I remember being really impressed because they served their tea in Mason jars!! That was a good place to eat...it was right next to that hotel that was built to look like a castle (the one near Sharpstown Mall). 

On 9/22/2014 at 2:34 PM, Subdude said:

You know what Mexican restaurant I miss?  Las Alamedas on the Katy Freeway.  Going there always seemed like a special occasion.

We even had a special Las Alamedas song (to the tune of Guantanamera):

"Las Alamedas

We ate at Las Alamedas!

Las Alameeeeedas!

We ate at Las Alamedas.."

Actually I believe there is a Las Alamedas in La Centerra in Katy off the Grand Parkway. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThisKindredSpirit said:

Oh visiting this site and this thread has brought back so many memories!! I was born in Houston, but grew up in Richmond, but like any Houstonian family, going out to eat every week in Houston was part of the culture here in the 60s/70s/80s. It was such a part of my life to go to one Houston restaurant or another that when I moved away from home to go to school (San Marcos) I was suddenly astonished and dismayed that the rest of the world didnt have the variety and "foodie" culture that Houston had! I was so disappointed.

Going through everyone's lists reminded me of so much! I remember The Boston Sea Party and Nantucket Inn, where I celebrated my birthday because I love seafood, but I remember eating my first raw oysters with my Dad at the Blue Oyster Club.

We also went to the Mason Jar and the Strawberry Patch quite a lot - Mom and Dad liked the omelets at the latter place. They would also spend their anniversaries at places like The Great Caruso and Vargos. 

I remember when Good Times Charlie opened up at Sharpstown and hearing the music there.  I also remember Piper Pizza, Atchafalaya (that came out in the 90s, I remember as well as Ralph & Kacoos). There used to be a restaurant where the Town & Country Mall used to be - I'd never been in it but my husband had and he loved it, saying it had a big tree in the middle. It reminded him of some of the fantasy books he used to read. Anyway, all that's long gone now, including the Mall. 

Someone else mentioned Westwood Mall - I trolled that place a lot myself in my teenage years! I remember there used to be a little restaurant in the food court there called "Olga's" and it served gyros. 

Does anyone remember a seafood restaurant called "Christie's"? It used to be in the Braeswood area I think - its where i had my first taste of broiled flouder and it was for the longest while considered to be one of the best seafood restaurants in the area...

I think Christie's is still there, at Westheimer and Greenridge.  They also used to have a location on South Main.  

The Strawberry Patch was on Westheimer as I recall.  Good place.  

There was a Christie's at 5911 Bellaire @ Renwick; according to the website in must've opened in the 1960s.  I went there a couple of times.  According to the website there also was a smaller, mostly take-out place on S. Post Oak.  That's a new one on me.

I was told back in the 70s by a native Houstonian who introduced me to Christie's that the Bellaire location was by a different branch of the family and not co-owned with the S. Main and eventual Westheimer locations.  Maybe he had it wrong since it's on the website.

Scroll down for some timeline photos and down at the bottom click on the About Us link for more history.

3 hours ago, Subdude said:

I think Christie's is still there, at Westheimer and Greenridge.

Christie's is still there. Not a bad place. Sort of stuck in a time warp, but I don't mind. The food was more than good enough both times I've gone. I will say that someone earlier mentioned having broiled flounder once at another Christie's location. I do not remember seeing that at the one on Westheimer. That could be simply because both times I've gone were for lunch and it just wasn't on the lunch menu.

Every place under the sun has fried seafood, and if they offer alternatives, the only ones are blackened (which I like) or grilled (which I hate). So very few have broiled, (outside of shrimp scampi). I love broiled fish. The best seafood meal  was the broiled seafood platter at a place called the Sea Ranch in South Padre Island. But that was 20 years ago and I don't think they have it any more. 

Edited by Firebird65

I remember most of those places, too.  The Boston Sea Party was great, but I tend to doubt that an all-you-eat buffet with similar choices could operate today without having to charge exorbitant prices. 

At Good Time Charlie's (a better-than-average food court), I vaguely recall several good places ... one was a shwarma place.   The giant antique music player (can't recall what it was called) was a gem.  After they sold it, I hope it went to some place where they maintain it and people can still enjoy it. 

There is still a Christies at 6029 Westheimer, by the way.

Edited by ArchFan