What Car Would You Want If Money Were No Object?

Nothing but me and my Cadillac

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hardly. If you are in the market for a prestigious luxury car, buying a discount flop like the Phaeton is hardly the way to go.

Like I said, you get everything but the Flying B.

The car was only a flop in the states because we snobby Americans couldn't fathom a luxury Volkswagen. The fundamentally same car is for sale for 300k under a different brand. Go figure.

If you are looking for the luxury, comfort, power, features of the Flying Spur and don't care about the Flying B, then a Phaeton will serve your purposes. If you want the social prestige, then you get the Flying Spur.

Like I said, you get everything but the Flying B.

The car was only a flop in the states because we snobby Americans couldn't fathom a luxury Volkswagen. The fundamentally same car is for sale for 300k under a different brand. Go figure.

Well let's be fair here. The Phaeton was also a flop in Europe.

I don't think the problem was just that it was a luxury Volkswagen. Potential buyers were also put off by the reputation of Volkswagen dealers, which is dubious at best.

I don't think the problem was just that it was a luxury Volkswagen. Potential buyers were also put off by the reputation of Volkswagen dealers, which is dubious at best.

It wasn't a flop in Europe. It is still in production and on sale in Europe. They are also doing a mid-cycle redesign and will be re-releasing to the US market.

The irony to me is, the Phaeton sold out in the states. If you wanted one brand new, you couldn't find one.

Regardless, it is still an amazing car. The technology, luxury, and speed is remarkable. Jeremy Clarkson tried to make fun of it, but couldn't. So flop or not, it is still a great car.

Just for the entertainment value, here is the Top Gear video for the Phaeton. Click Me

I was wondering, if you could have ANY car, what would you get any why?

I currently drive a 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC which I purchased NEW when I was 17, and had to work 3 jobs just to pay it off, but after 8+ years, I still love it as much as I did when it was new! I'm planning to move to Houston in the next few weeks/months and since my Eldorado has 110,000+ miles on it, I might purchase a new car to go with my new lifestyle.

I don't plan (probably can't afford) any of the cars that someone says but one can still dream! I will never trade my Eldorado for any other car, but I need a new one, so I guess I'll have 2!

What is your fantasy car with money being no option? (sorry if I didn't list your favorite, but I'm going to majority) Mine would be a new Porsche Boxster, and hopefully I get one someday!

I honestly think the Honda Accord (luxed-out) is one of the finest cars for the money. If money was no option I would probably get the Mercedes E320.

The E-Class looked better than the previous gen S-Class, but the new S-Class is just pure sex. I've never been a fan of Mercedes-Benz either (save for the CL and the SLR). The new S and CL classes are some of the sexiest cars on the road. And the new S-Class interior isn't typical boring Benz.

I would gladly sport a new S-Class. If I won the next MegaMillions (I will buy a ticket if it is over $65mil. It is my idiot tax), I'd grab an all Mercedes fleet.

S-63

CL-64

GL-550

SLR Roadster

A Brabus Unimog if I realy had my way as well.

i had a WRX before, then found out i was having a kid. so, i wanted a 5 door and the best one/the one i liked is the mazda3's (fully loaded with more options than a new civic by the way). then, low and behold, what does subaru come out with 2 months after recieving my car. a nice 5 door WRX that gets the same flipping gas mileage (new EPA standards) as my "fuel effecient mazda". now, dont get me wrong i LOVE my mazda, but there is nothing like AWD...oh and 256 HP...

EDIT: and there is nothing like the BMW 335xi Coupe...droool :wub:http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3/335xicoupe/default

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
II get a lil' worn on hearing the "Bangle this, Bangle that" commentary. He is an award winning designer who has done nothing but IMPROVE BMWs sales. Design is very subjective, and his subjects love him and are growing by the lot.Too bad their reliability and service can't improve as well.So far, this vehicle doesn't exist.They will be making an X6/7 variant, but it will be a full size Sport SUV (think X5 but bigger and more luxurious) with some sport thrown in (low slung roof line, high hip line).

The BMW X6 is being put into production, and it unfortunately looks just like the show car. Top Gear was ragging on how pointless a vehicle it was. It was really quite funny.

What is your fantasy car with money being no option?

I think I'd hire a bunch of engineers to provide something on the scale of an 18-wheeler with amphibious capabilities such that it'd be capable of making transatlantic crossings, as well providing a launching platform for ultralight aircraft.

If money was no object, I'd send my 1982 Mercedes-Benz 300D Turbodiesel off to the Mercedes-Benz Classic Center in Irvine, CA and have them do a complete overhaul of the car and then drive it as long as I could. It's 26 almost 27 years old with nearly 380k mi on it and it still looks pretty good inside and out and runs GREAT. Like all old cars, it needs things fixed here and there, but it's not like your average 27 year old comparable American car. The interior has no rips or tears in the uphoulstry, the ceiling is not hanging down, no warning lights on, it's aged well. I took it up to Conroe on Friday and today and took it out to Katy on Saturday. It's a mostly city driven car, and the over 300 miles of highway driving accumulated since Friday did it some good. On the treks to Conroe, I took it out on the Hardy Toll Road and opened it up as much as traffic and weather would allow. It got some much needed exercise and seems to run a little smoother as a result of my "Italian Tuneup" treatments.

Simple, a Corvette. I'm turning 50 next week. Maybe I'm going through a mid-life crisis.

• 3 months later...
I have several friends who drive hybrids. Of them, (8 in total), five have had to have batteries replaced. Luckily, four of them were under factory warranty (3Y-30k). Next round, they won't be so lucky.

Ever since this post first appeared, I have kept an eye out for any evidence that early battery failure is, or ever has been, a problem with hybrids. No evidence or even credible allegations were to be found.

Your account does not fall into the category of credible.

Archived