What Car Would You Want If Money Were No Object?

Nothing but me and my Cadillac

The annoying thing to me is the fact that hybrids are marketed two ways:

1. Save the environment. Scowl at all the big bad hummer drivers as you drive your eco-friendly go-kart (albeit the Prius is actually a decently trimmed car). Too bad they don't mention that the environmental cost of building that car and running it for five years exceeds that of a Hummer H1, the Satan of Al Gore's world. They also choke and scoff every time this is brought up. Bill Maher still drives a Prius, but he does get to bang lots of hot Playboy coot, so kudos to him.

2. Save money. Laugh at the jerk in the Nissan Armada who is pumping a few grand worth of unleaded in to his moving-mountain because you get better gas milage. Too bad no one thought to mention that the premium you are paying to buy and maintain the car (when people have to start replacing batteries, they are REALLY going to feel it) outweighs any fuel cost savings you might have accomplished.

While I absolutely *LOVE* the Lexus LS460, the concept of a hybrid of this car is laughable, not to mention useless. But Ari Gold does drive one, so that is good enough for me.

=)

What rubbish.

Hybrids have been on the market for ten years, and their popularity continues to grow. There has been plenty of time for any design failures to become apparent; they haven't.

Toyota, a company known for producing some of the most reliable automobiles on the planet, isn't afraid to put their nameplate on a hybrid car. Do you think they would risk their reputation just to appease Al Gore?

It's such fun to discount right-wing tripe, and so easy, too.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No i have a mercedes SL 65 Amg Roadster
Very nice.
Those are off the scale when it comes to cool. :)
Have you seen that new show "Moonlight" on CBS Friday nights about the Vampire PI? He drives an old convertible Benz. I went looking for one the other day. Decent ones can be had for 50k, nice ones 80k.Wowzer. Coolest of the cool too.
What rubbish.Hybrids have been on the market for ten years, and their popularity continues to grow. There has been plenty of time for any design failures to become apparent; they haven't.Toyota, a company known for producing some of the most reliable automobiles on the planet, isn't afraid to put their nameplate on a hybrid car. Do you think they would risk their reputation just to appease Al Gore? It's such fun to discount right-wing tripe, and so easy, too.
Hmmm.Too bad you're wrong.First, I was talking about how they are marketed. Not how they are built or their quality. Secondly, eventually you will have to replace batteries, which will cost you a small fortune.I am neither right nor left wing. I'm on the side of common sense (which doesn't seem so common anymore). You should try it rather than trying to debunk me by simply saying I'm a right winger.

Pious rhymes with Prius for a reason.And just what landfill will all the hybrid batteries land in?

hopefully recycled...

Is there a recycling plan in place for nickel-metal hydride batteries?

Toyota has a comprehensive battery recycling program in place and has been recycling nickel-metal hydride batteries since the RAV4 Electric Vehicle was introduced in 1998. Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled. To ensure that batteries come back to Toyota, each battery has a phone number on it to call for recycling information and dealers are paid a $200 "bounty" for each battery.

http://www.toyota.com/about/environment/te...004/hybrid.html

hopefully recycled...

Is there a recycling plan in place for nickel-metal hydride batteries?

Toyota has a comprehensive battery recycling program in place and has been recycling nickel-metal hydride batteries since the RAV4 Electric Vehicle was introduced in 1998. Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled. To ensure that batteries come back to Toyota, each battery has a phone number on it to call for recycling information and dealers are paid a $200 "bounty" for each battery.

http://www.toyota.com/about/environment/te...004/hybrid.html

Now what about Honda, Ford, and GM?

Now what about Honda, Ford, and GM?

good question...only with murky-at-best answers so far. Seems like GM's commercial battery recycling suggestions are the most clear so far.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility...ttery/step4.jsp

http://world.honda.com/news/2007/c071004No...nmental-Report/

http://www.ford.com/innovation/environment...id-battery-371p

eventually you will have to replace batteries, which will cost you a small fortune.

Are you sure? What evidence do you have?

It's my understanding that the batteries are guaranteed for 100,000 miles (actual life expectancy 150k - 200k miles.)

Ref: HybridCars.com FAQ

Eventually cars wear out; who would replace expensive batteries in a car that's already past its useful life?

And my apologies for labeling your political leanings.

Are you sure? What evidence do you have?

It's my understanding that the batteries are guaranteed for 100,000 miles (actual life expectancy 150k - 200k miles.)

Ref: HybridCars.com FAQ

Eventually cars wear out; who would replace expensive batteries in a car that's already past its useful life?

And my apologies for labeling your political leanings.

I have several friends who drive hybrids. Of them, (8 in total), five have had to have batteries replaced. Luckily, four of them were under factory warranty (3Y-30k). Next round, they won't be so lucky.

Hydrogen Fuel Cells are the only real viable answer to moving off of carbon based fuels. Bio-diesel is great, but running off of it is a pain since very few stations carry it. Same with E-85.

Unless photovoltaics make major advances in their ability to harness the sun, solar isn't really viable either.

We need to dump as much money as we can in to HFC. Filling up with your garden hose with zero emissions seems like a pretty decent bet to me.

*if* hydrogen cars ever become priced to sell to the general public, there will have to be something made to go wrong to fuel the repair industry that makes an incredible amount of money off of (on-purpose) badly designed vehicles.

the auto industry has the know-how to make clean, reliable, affordable cars, just not the will to let go of the money involved in not doing so.

I have several friends who drive hybrids. Of them, (8 in total), five have had to have batteries replaced. Luckily, four of them were under factory warranty (3Y-30k). Next round, they won't be so lucky.

I remain unconvinced. If the batteries' longevity was so abysmal, word would have spread by now.

I remain unconvinced. If the batteries' longevity was so abysmal, word would have spread by now.

It has. It is just widely ignored and there is a marketing campaign to suppress such information.

Electric cars aren't the answer. They were a stop gap at best and they consume more during production and running them than most carbon based vehicles.

This is all easily researchable information.

That Bently looks like a Toyota Avalon.
The hell it does. My Avalon was parked next to a Flying Spur earlier today. They look nothing alike.Now, my Avalon has gotten mistaken for a Mercedes-Benz S550.
Bentley.AB_Bentley_1042a.JPG
You can have all but the different interior and the Bentley logo by purchasing a Volkswagen Phaeton. The Flying Spur is based upon it.A few year old W12 Phaeton can be had for sub $50k. 205MPH in an ultraluxury saloon. Seems like a winner to me.

You can have all but the different interior and the Bentley logo by purchasing a Volkswagen Phaeton. The Flying Spur is based upon it.A few year old W12 Phaeton can be had for sub $50k. 205MPH in an ultraluxury saloon. Seems like a winner to me.

Hardly. If you are in the market for a prestigious luxury car, buying a discount flop like the Phaeton is hardly the way to go.

Archived