East Washington At 1818-1814 Washington Ave.

Mab

Wow, Rice Military, Sawyer Yards, and Downtown are all different neighborhoods yet they say it's in all three.  My guess is this is actually in Sawyer Yards (which some people seem to think is part of Rice Military).  Interesting that we are getting a Putt Shack in downtown and a Drive Shack from Puttery not far away, at about the same time.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Puttery, A New Entertainment Venue At 1818 Washington Ave

A two-story miniature golf and entertainment venue called Puttery is slated to come to Sawyer Yards in Houston's Old Sixth Ward area at 1818 Washington Ave., Houston.

Although few details have been released on the Houston location, an Aug. 9 press release indicates that it will feature an "adults-only scene with four nine-hole putting courses, multiple bars and rotating DJs."

A food menu will provide guests with an upscale menu and craft cocktails. The golf courses will be themed and equipped with state-of-the-art scoring technology, according to the release.

Puttery will be a project of Drive Shack Inc., whose portfolio also consists of other "competitive socializing" venues such as American Golf and Drive Shack. In addition to Houston, the company's newest concept is being launched in Dallas; Charlotte, North Carolina; Washington, D.C.; and Miami.

An opening timeline is still being determined, a company spokesperson said.

https://puttery.com

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/business/2021/08/16/business-roundup-upscale-minigolf-coming-to-old-sixth-ward-nettbar-coming-to-shady-acres/

• Like 6

this is definitely not in Sawyer Yards, Rice Military, Old Sixth Ward, or Downtown. lol. sigh.  "washington ave corridor" or maybe "6th ward"  

Has The Optimist backed out? i was realllly looking forward to that, but now that Tony Mandola's is opening a few blocks away I guess that might have changed? 

Edited by crock
added another Q about the area

PGA Champion Rory McIlroy Is Bringing A Miniature Golf Course To Houston

Featuring an adult-only scene with four nine-hole putting courses, multiple bars, and rotating DJs.

By Kelsy Armstrong August 19, 2021

HOUSTON’S SAWYER YARDS, one of Houston’s hottest arts and entertainment districts, is getting a new, adults-only place to playScheduled to open by the end of this year, Puttery, a new celebrity-backed miniature golf course, is coming to Houston. 

The golf course was developed by Dallas-based Drive Shack in partnership with two-time PGA Champion Rory McIlroy.

“Puttery is an immersive, unique, and one-of-a-kind entertainment golf experience – it is an exciting and logical partnership for me and my investment group,” McIlroy said in a statement. “I have been collaborating with the Drive Shack team for more than two years on Puttery and have remained engaged throughout its entire evolution.”

The golf course marks Puttery’s fifth outpost, joining other locations in Dallas, Charlotte, North Carolina, Washington D.C., and Miami. Drive Shack Inc. President and Chief Executive Officer Hana Khouri shares in a statement why bringing a location to the Houston area was great for the Drive Shack brand.

“Houston is one of the fastest-growing metro areas in the country, so it made perfect sense to bring this exciting new take on competitive socializing to one of the market’s most popular destinations,” she says. 

The two-story structure will span 23,000 square feet and will create a “competitive socializing and entertainment golf experience, ” featuring four nine-hole courses. The new location in Houston places a modern spin on putting by combining a lively, vibrant atmosphere with state-of-the-art auto-scoring technology and themed courses for an immersive guest experience.

“This isn’t your typical night at the mini-golf course. Puttery will offer Houstonians and visitors an experience unlike any other,” Khouri says.“We’re looking forward to bringing Puttery to the area and setting the tone for strategic and rapid growth ahead.”

Puttery is slated to open in Houston at the end of 2021 in Sawyer Yards. 

https://www.houstoniamag.com/news-and-city-life/2021/08/new-luxury-golf-course-sawyer-yards-houston

• Like 2

From the Sawyer Yards website.  They're calling this the South Yard.  I personally have thought of "Sawyer Yards" as what is depicted as the Main Yard, but they are clearly stretching the brand to all of their properties in the First Ward/Sixth Ward/Washington Ave Arts District etc...

web_map_2021.png

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TrainTrak said:

From the Sawyer Yards website.  They're calling this the South Yard.  I personally have thought of "Sawyer Yards" as what is depicted as the Main Yard, but they are clearly stretching the brand to all of their properties in the First Ward/Sixth Ward/Washington Ave Arts District etc...

web_map_2021.png

Oh wow I like this! Wasn't this area designated by the state as an arts district so it receives special funding?

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

The two-story structure will span 23,000 square feet and will create a “competitive socializing and entertainment golf experience, ” featuring four nine-hole courses.

“Competitive socializing”? These marketing buzzwords and terms are getting out of hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2021 at 2:56 PM, thedistrict84 said:

“Competitive socializing”? These marketing buzzwords and terms are getting out of hand.

Ahh so thats whats going on the football field when they are talking trash to one another....no its okay, thats just "competitive socializing" *facepalms*

On 10/18/2021 at 1:12 PM, Luminare said:

Ahh so thats whats going on the football field when they are talking trash to one another....no its okay, thats just "competitive socializing" *facepalms*

No, that's taunting in todays NFL and gets the offending team a 15 yd penalty.

Ti9ndPa.png

Edited by hindesky
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2020 at 8:43 AM, Avossos said:

I can't wait to see this come alive with activity!

Also I am waiting for the front curb and sidewalk redo. I find it very important to have a good pedestrian and street presence. Currently the curb and sidewalk is a mess.

4 hours ago, TrainTrak said:

They recently finished up some sidewalk and curb improvements along Silver and Center.  Construction of the 2 buildings for Phase II currently planned to start in 2Q2022.

Just thought it was interesting how long this took (sidewalks)... I was waiting more than a year!

On 9/25/2020 at 11:41 AM, Avossos said:

image.png.9a8a212bbbcf0430549121b84d7e3e95.png

image.png.90e68576a6f1c2bde18c9ae2b020f3c9.png

Awesome! The quality of these developments are really nice. I hope they set the standard for the historic neighborhoods there. Perfect scale for the area.

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 7

• 5 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 7:26 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

One of the tenants to sign on is Berg Hospitality. The group led by Benjamin Berg operates B&B Butchers next door.

Berg Hospitality applied for a TABC permit listing a restaurant named Benny Chow at 1818 Washington Ave.

I have no clue about the concept or an opening timeframe.

Berg Hospitality's Benny Chow seems as if it is moving forwardat 1818 Washington Ave.

A few weeks ago, an architectural barriers project filing was filed with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation for the restaurant.

The build out is estimated for completion towards the end of the year.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to New Steakhouse- 1814 Washington Ave.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Retail Development At 1818 Washington Ave.
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"The Houston location of Puttery, a new mini-golf entertainment complex announced in 2021, will open Sept. 16 at 1818 Washington Ave., Houston, between Tacodeli and The Butcher Shop at B&B."

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/impacts/2022/09/09/officials-announce-sept-16-opening-of-new-mini-golf-entertainment-complex-on-washington-avenue/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A photo of the rooftop portion of 1818 Washington Ave. I know this isn't a recent image, but am posting it here. I don't know whether or not Lovett Commercial uploaded this to the 1818 Washington Ave listing in 2020 or 2021.

NZhVrQO.jpg

https://www.lovettcommercial.com/properties/houston/1818-washington-ave-

And from a July Instagram post from 1818 Washington tenant Glam Room:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgKslA6Jl-Y/

G9D3fdc.jpg

mA7erMf.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 2:12 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Some news about the rooftop bar that's part of 1818 Washington, Lovett Commercial's new retail development at 1818 Washington Ave (Houston):

The 3,000 SF space on the roof will be home to McQueen's (or the name could be McQueen). This will be a rooftop cocktail bar.

There's an Instagram account for McQueen's, which launched a few weeks ago.

https://instagram.com/mcqueenshtx

d0vwc0c.jpg

On 9/6/2020 at 5:12 PM, hindesky said:

The glass tower.

kAemr8O.jpg

On 9/1/2022 at 6:03 PM, hindesky said:

epqdn1r.pngCyeQMwk.png

On 10/25/2022 at 3:15 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

A zoomed-in view of the rooftop portion of 1818 Washington Ave that is across the street from B&B Butchers & Restaurant.

rUUzJky.jpg

sg5jPjQ.jpg

On 10/25/2022 at 2:49 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

A photo of the rooftop portion of 1818 Washington Ave. I know this isn't a recent image, but am posting it here. I don't know whether or not Lovett Commercial uploaded this to the 1818 Washington Ave listing in 2020 or 2021.

NZhVrQO.jpg

https://www.lovettcommercial.com/properties/houston/1818-washington-ave-

Berg Hospitality Group is leasing space in Lovett Commercial's 1818 Washington Ave development (1818 Washington Ave, Ste A-300). 1818 Washington is one the latest additions to Sawyer Yards. 

The rooftop top concept may be named Canopy Social or CanSoc. I don't know if this will be a restaurant, bar, or lounge. It's possible it could be all three. We'll likely find out more in the coming months.

Canopy Social (or CanSoc) will be located above another Berg Hospitality Group concept coming to 1818 Washington Ave: Benny Chows. Both are across from B&B Butchers & Restaurant at 1814 Washington Ave.

A rooftop bar concept named McQueen's was previously planned for this space two years ago (I did not know the person or group behind McQueen's). 

Edit: I somehow missed the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation filing for this in early September.

According to the filing, Canopy Social will be a bar. October is the estimated renovation start date, which will include extreme landscaping and patio construction. The reported square footage is 5,700 sf. Issac Preminger Architecture & Design is designing the space.

Benjamin Berg nor Berg Hospitality Group are listed as the tenants, but this is one of their forthcoming projects.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Print/TABS2023000042

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Berg Hospitality Group is leasing the 3,000 sf rooftop space in Lovett Commercial's 1818 Washington Ave development (1818 Washington Ave, Ste A-300). 1818 Washington is one the latest additions to Sawyer Yards. 

The rooftop top concept may be named Canopy Social or CanSoc. I don't know if this will be a restaurant, bar, or lounge. It's possible it could be all three. We'll likely find out more in the coming months.

Canopy Social (or CanSoc) will be located above another Berg Hospitality Group concept coming to 1818 Washington Ave: Benny Chows. Both are across from B&B Butchers & Restaurant at 1814 Washington Ave.

I don't know what Benjamin Berg's Canopy Social will entail, besides having a rooftop component. However, here are design inspirations for the space which may provide some clues. 

pFkZhHC.jpg

On 5/21/2021 at 7:26 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Punch Bowl is no longer coming to 1818 Washington.

Lovett is splitting the two story unit into several units.

One of the tenants to sign on is Berg Hospitality. The group led by Benjamin Berg operates B&B Butchers next door.

Berg Hospitality applied for a TABC permit listing a restaurant named Benny Chow at 1818 Washington Ave.

I have no clue about the concept or an opening timeframe.

Design inspiration for Berg Hospitality Group's Benny Chows / Benny Chow's. It's possible some of the elements shown will be used is some way.

The restaurant is under construction at 1818 Washington Ave, Ste A-150.  It's across from B&B Butchers.

AyfCQGh.png

• 3 months later...

Berg Hospitality Group finally reveals plans for their two forthcoming food and beverage concepts at this development. Houston Chronicle reported news of Canopy Social and Benny Chows / Benny Chow's today (likely from a press release).

Canopy Social is a rooftop bar concept located at 1818 Washington Ave, Suite A-300. Below it, Benny Chows at 1818 Washington Ave, Suite A-180. Both are slated to open this spring, possibly in April.

More about both from the article:

"Benny Chows, located on the first floor, will be Berg’s first dip into Chinese fare, described as an 'elevated Cantonese' restaurant. The 5,489-square-foot restaurant with a Peking duck room..."

"On the third floor will be the rooftop bar, Canopy Social, a 5,200-square-foot, British Caribbean-inspired space... The design features a retractable roof with both covered and uncovered seating offering views of the Houston skyline."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/berg-hospitality-group-washington-corridor-houston-17744441.php