East Washington At 1818-1814 Washington Ave.

Mab

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 11:54 PM, hindesky said:

My bad, I posted it to the wrong Washington Ave. address. Sucks cause the right address is staring right at me.:unsure::blush:

I'm probably being hyper critical but how hard is it to just repave a new sidewalk to the curb instead of having this additional cement block next to the original sidewalk?

5 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm probably being hyper critical but how hard is it to just repave a new sidewalk to the curb instead of having this additional cement block next to the original sidewalk?

new flood rules so yes very complicated. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 7:32 PM, ybrikuil said:

new flood rules so yes very complicated. 

On 7/14/2020 at 2:29 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Expanding a little on this - Center St. is at a higher elevation than Washington, so to avoid flooding, the whole building slab is at the Center St. level. This means there are two levels of sidewalk along Washington with steps and ramp to bring you up to the finish floor level. The overall distance from curb to building on Washington is about 20' so there's some room to negotiate the grade change. The existing concrete sidewalk will also be rebuilt which will help resolve the difference. Unfortunate circumstances, but no real way around it.

vKTJiJA-6DhZ9VJxHMTfQZUyNWk2nc949wgCBrrtGxB8xOuq0i6b8xxNfYEmqXq17csi87L2ua6UEfZ_RsmSHQ5N7o3tnHopHQd50erALhACgbGv1WWsanJz4LfX1VjvL7PyLM1q3nzfmtubF6BAWrsscj7iRk_aOGQb1ZHdTyZZ_DMNzKyoU2YPSvxVZ9Bo_3RNHt8iEvcJHiT2O2_qc9Qzy-Koy4ScY3lgMnT3QXtrX81gyylEZrjeWYBk46DupCmaI8gBHJn3mn_nkkfKhYtaacRgpOc0-cpi23MOLr4JpoaeGtF8UYbxuZUyVRAzSwu-j3Ym--cYteZ6Z6OOLRCoT92ERfMusxrGLqAFz2f4z8RWyEvNddQDGn7711LFwRUkUt5FuTLuXx5krXnp1XXbh7OAAk_YYU-nazzB4y5rk5d6AJexnTK6yB7H_qCN4Z6aYPl0pimH_XyerdaYOaT8hkP_oaBfCd0jbPW2pgcdDBxuPH9lCnWKuqtNRfjG8wYR97-YkyjxBovQsm6y926VQAwqWEQ3eoNqJeUqblQfOESRIAcY7bxhs5wEDSDJFv3KM6I431W5Ru-IIV7WDB0TVss_X4X8DQEBGcXfRbwH-pFpx7J6h4nkDJppH0Qr8gorIqubOWEhF0bgrVM8hc5afdhY1dvn4FTdisOMC69UxY0iRngU5JEh29Xd1g=w1062-h797-no?authuser=0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Visitor said:

This looks really nice. I'll likely never visit the projected tenants but this building is a clear upgrade to the corridor.

Huh? So far it seems like a decent mix of tenants with a couple spaces left. 

I'm certainly looking forward to the Optimist. Punch Bowl Social and the rooftop bar could go either way - definitely worth a visit, but ultimately will depend on what kind of crowd they attract. 

I don't personally use salons, but there are plenty of people in my life who do, and Sola seems ...good maybe? I have no idea.

Edited by Texasota

12 hours ago, Texasota said:

Huh? So far it seems like a decent mix of tenants with a couple spaces left. 

I'm certainly looking forward to the Optimist. Punch Bowl Social and the rooftop bar could go either way - definitely worth a visit, but ultimately will depend on what kind of crowd they attract. 

I don't personally use salons, but there are plenty of people in my life who do, and Sola seems ...good maybe? I have no idea.

Are you questioning if I would visit the projected tenants?

I didn't say they were bad, I just said I likely wouldn't visit any of them.  I can still like the building right?

There are many places on Washington I have not visited and likely never will (lived in the area for 6+ yrs), doesn't make them all bad, just not for me.

• Like 1

It made me curious, only because there seemed to be decent variety in the planned tenants. If nothing else, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to at least give the Optimist a try - who doesn't like checking out a new restaurant?

But maybe you don't like seafood. Or bowling. Or (like me) visiting salons. Or, to be fair, the crowd at a lot of places on Washington. 

I don't really know why I want to know why you don't think you'd visit any of the proposed tenants, but for some reason I do. Maybe it's related to a useful conversation about how to develop and diversify the corridor. Maybe it's selfish curiosity for its own sake.

• Like 1

Fair points and I too myself am curious in general.  You are correct that the crowd whom Washington typically attracts is not for me, and I often find that these "elevated" social experience places like "Punch Bowl" don't offer great value relative to their cost.

The Optimist, maybe one day? But their concept isn't something I typically seek out. Also, I am of the opinion that any outside concept that comes to Houston is almost assuredly going to be a downgrade from the original. Case in point: Gus's across the street. I love Gus's and have eaten at locations in 5+ cities, and EVERY bad experience I have had has come from this Houston location. It is unspeakably disappointing that my favorite fried chicken joint finally comes to Houston, sets up <5min from me, and I can't even bring myself to try again.

Maybe I'm just jaded, who knows...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think you're underestimating just how massive that surface lot is. Even with these two buildings, it is absurdly huge. 

Now I know there's a difference b/w what this development actually needs and what the City will require, but it looks to me like there's plenty of parking even for the City's obscene requirements. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Retail Development at 1818 Washington Ave. and Silver
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Retail Development At 1818 Washington Ave. And Silver
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2019 at 12:30 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

An updated site plan was uploaded very recently to Lovett Commercial's website and included in an updated brochure.

https://www.lovettcommercial.com/properties/houston/1818-washington-ave- (archive link)

Brochure:
https://www.lovettcommercial.com/Pdf.aspx?id=332  (archive link)

The updated site plan has two new retail tenants:

• Punch Bowl Social  - a fancy bowling alley and restaurant (similar to Pinstripes and Bowl & Barrel)

Punch Bowl Social wiLiunitso stories and fronting Center St. The first floor is 5,000 SF. The second floor is 15, 000 SF and will be the location of the bowling lanes.

Level 1 Site Plan
TQpCEcu.jpg

Level 2 Site Plan
Lkjhvep.jpg

Roof Deck site plan
Y6oDgWJ.jpg

Punch Bowl is no longer coming to 1818 Washington.

Lovett is splitting the two story unit into several units.

One of the tenants to sign on is Berg Hospitality. The group led by Benjamin Berg operates B&B Butchers next door.

Berg Hospitality applied for a TABC permit listing a restaurant named Benny Chow at 1818 Washington Ave.

I have no clue about the concept or an opening timeframe.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...