Farb Hyde Park: Multifamily High-Rise At 2409 Montrose Blvd.

trymahjong

Hopefully this will push the city to upgrade Fairview between Montrose and Tuam. It drives like a war-torn, bombed-out rural road in Eastern Ukraine. Curbs and decent sidewalks would be nice too. You know...like you find in cities. 

Edited by aachor
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, aachor said:

Hopefully this will push the city to upgrade Fairview between Montrose and Tuam. It drives like a war-torn, bombed-out rural road in Eastern Ukraine. Curbs and decent sidewalks would be nice too. You know...like you find in cities. 

They are doing the repair work on Fairview right now. From Montrose to Genesee St. It started about 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hindesky said:

They are doing the repair work on Fairview right now. From Montrose to Genesee St. It started about 2 weeks ago.

I see that they're doing something. I hope they're doing more than just patching the patches.

One issue that I see (mostly between the Barnaby's and Taft) is that it seems like street parking crowds the sidewalks because there's no real curb. There are a lot of pedestrians pushed into the street. More development will just exacerbate it until that's fixed.image.png.a292316d461f96b4dac36a8080b2acaa.png

• Like 2

Geez I was on the wrong thread- embarrassing .

The corner of Montrose and Fairview really flooded during Harvey-- more green space might help that, especially if Texas native trees  and plants are used. 

Perhaps  Mr Farb could follow Mr Random example (Montrose collective) and donate a completely architecturally Devine bus stop for the community.
 Another thought.....my understanding is ALL NEW  sidewalks must be 5' width-- so additional green space would accommodate  that ......where would all this additional green space be found........? Perhaps making building footprint smaller  and building itself taller?  Tall enough to have 360 degree unobstructed view?l from that roof top swimming pool teaming with mature palm trees?
of course that  type of design might scream for more on site parking......open sided parking that might collect rainwater and allow for tumbling, hanging greenery that would provide a square block that would be 15% cooler than the other blocks during Houston's swelter summers?   Finally, all that "tweaking of the design" might produce a unique large multi planted  lobby, that would be made available to the occasional community meeting..................oh no I'm urban development daydreaming again- sigh.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

As someone who has lived directly across Hyde Park from this lot since it was still Hollywood Vietnamese, I can assure you that this design is not "good news." AT ALL. The original Bowery design would have been slightly better. 

This corner flooded horribly during Harvey. The utility lines and drainage desperately need an upgrade before something this enormous goes in. It is loud here at night and occasionally dangerous if you're not aware of your surroundings. And the kind of people who will want to live in this place are going to try to get our last remaining LGBTQ bars shut down. (Mark my words).

This wild-west development isn't always just automatically a good thing. Build this Montrosity at Commonwealth and Fairview, or better yet, on the old Kroger land instead since they've changed the project manager on that about sixteen times and have no idea what they're doing. 

2 hours ago, phillip_white said:

I try to remember that the identity of a neighborhood is fluid.

To paraphrase Chuck Marohn: no neighborhood should be forcefully subjected to rapid and radical change, and no neighborhood should be exempt from slow but significant change. 

But in truth, the "should" is irrelevant. It is impossible for a neighborhood not to change, because people change.

• Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...