Avenue Station: Multifamily At 2010 N. Main St.

Triton

...and so it begins.

Boring design, but as you said this project is significant for the area.

I mean it doesn't have to be this amazing design, its just basic living. These are the kind of developments that I wouldn't mind lining the streets, with ground floor retail of course.

• Like 1

Mixed-use doesn't even have to be ground level. One great example of where mixed-use worked (as "they must be able to work separately") was in College Station, and one of my favorite subjects to study. Enter Doux Chene Apartments, a trendy French-themed apartment complex (here on Google Maps, note the largest main building with the stairs leading up) very similar in layout, theme, and trendiness of the Chateau(x) Dijon Apartments where a younger W. lived years before. Originally, it was a fancy restaurant called Mansard House.

Screen+shot+2013-07-13+at+9.23.31+AM.png

Later, it held no less than 3 nightclubs, one of which was a discotheque. The set-up lasted at least 10 consecutive years, better than most can claim. We can observe that although it had low density (it was on the fringes of town at the time) and was set back from the street, it had good parking, on a busy road, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY it followed the golden rule: an area where it was both acceptable for residential and commercial to survive in the spot.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

We just moved a bungalow from the Heights onto a lot on Gentry and James two block over from these new townhomes. Luckily we have minimum lot size requirements on our block. The lot just across from from these on Freeman and James will have new townhomes as well. Also the two bungalows on the corner of Everett and Burnett were bulldozed on Friday. I beleive that lot will have 4 townhomes also if I am not mistaken, maybe just 3 though.

Here goes the northside. Highend townhomes going up with several in the vicinity to come on Everest. 

19435168748_948bccd8d2_h.jpg

Near Avenue Station Houston by Marc longoria, on Flickr

19435175108_1c3ebe42cf_h.jpg

Avenue Station Houston by Marc longoria, on Flickr

Edited by IamHouston

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Avenue Station: Multifamily At 2010 N. Main St.
  • 8 months later...

This was brick on the lower level floor 1 and half of floor two and stucco on 2 1/2 levels. For the last 6+ months they removed all the lower brick and all the stucco because of course this is not the climate for poorly done stucco. They are now going up with either wood or more likely Hardy planks.

g0dJc9u.png

wWNDdnx.jpg

Ewsynlo.jpg

k5AyynZ.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, jessicau said:

Wow 🤦‍♀️ 

Does anyone know why the metro rail through near Northside does now allow much pedestrian crossing or where I can find more information about this?

It wasn't always that way. When the Northside section of the Red Line was originally constructed, there was not nearly the amount of pedestrian fencing that exists now. Metro added more fencing several years ago to certain areas, supposedly to prevent people from walking out in front of trains. IMO it's a hindrance and should not be necessary - people mostly manage to keep out of the way of cars, so they ought to be able to keep out of the way of something as big as a train. Then again, you'd think cars would not turn directly in front of trains, but there were a bunch of car-train collisions caused by careless/inattentive drivers when the rail lines first entered service (and it still happens occasionally now).

More info here:

Metro Plans New Safety Improvements Along The Light Rail Lines

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 4:57 PM, mkultra25 said:

It wasn't always that way. When the Northside section of the Red Line was originally constructed, there was not nearly the amount of pedestrian fencing that exists now. Metro added more fencing several years ago to certain areas, supposedly to prevent people from walking out in front of trains. IMO it's a hindrance and should not be necessary - people mostly manage to keep out of the way of cars, so they ought to be able to keep out of the way of something as big as a train. Then again, you'd think cars would not turn directly in front of trains, but there were a bunch of car-train collisions caused by careless/inattentive drivers when the rail lines first entered service (and it still happens occasionally now).

More info here:

Metro Plans New Safety Improvements Along The Light Rail Lines

Yea I was wondering how it is in other cities. I see people jumping the fencing at times.

On 4/3/2023 at 1:23 PM, Justin Welling said:

@jessicauVery valid frustration. I would suggest submitting a suggestion to METRO at the specific intersections you would like to see a crossing. 

Link to comment here: Home  | Submit comments to METRO | Customer service | Houston, Texas (ridemetro.org)

I want to take a video. Thank you for the information.