White Oak Music Hall At 2915 N. Main St.

Triton

18 hours ago, Triton said:

The neighborhood has agreed, they most certainly will, but I believe for our area it is 11pm actually. 

I think the noise ordinance is 10 for the entire city, though they may be using special event permits to extend it later.

I live about two blocks away from Raven Tower and haven't had any noise problems yet from the Raven Tower concerts. We'll see how that changes when WOMH starts running shows. We have had people parking on our street for the bigger Raven Tower shows, but I view that as the acceptable price I pay for living in a vibrant city.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

I don't understand "my street will be full of cars" as a complaint. It's a public street; that's where cars belong. 

I do understand if drunken people are obnoxious in front of your house, but they really shouldn't be driving anyway...

Not sure what the solution is other than continuing to increase density and improve transit. Maybe some kind of program to encourage people to use Uber?

Of course, it's fair for others to use a public street. But it's also a fair concern for homeowners who don't want to live on a crowded street or major thoroughfare. Many homes in that area don't have garages so street parking is the only option. I'm sure you'll agree that it would be majorly annoying for a homeowner to park a few blocks away because his/her street is filled with cars from people who don't live in the neighborhood. Passing cars also add to noise pollution. 

I've read that there are talks of closing the North St bridge during events to reduce traffic in Germantown. Hope the proposed shuttle will be a good fix. 

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

I don't understand "my street will be full of cars" as a complaint. It's a public street; that's where cars belong. 

I do understand if drunken people are obnoxious in front of your house, but they really shouldn't be driving anyway...

Not sure what the solution is other than continuing to increase density and improve transit. Maybe some kind of program to encourage people to use Uber?

I completely understand what you're saying. I'm usually the guy saying that people in the Heights need to get used to changing areas, especially those that were so upset about a walkable shopping center being built along the bike trail between Yale and Heights Blvd.

But I think you have to consider this small neighborhood itself. For 80 years, it's been a quiet area cut off by two cemeteries and a creek from the rest of the area. Traffic never flows through and all of a sudden you have hundreds of cars parked in the neighborhood because of a concert hall. 

Here's Glen Park:

26018873500_36908b8066.jpg

That's why I'm mixed. I love living inside the loop because of how vibrant it is, and I realize it will eventually change and things will come closer to where I live and that I have to get used to it. But as another poster said, there's only like five homes in this neighborhood that have a garage and most park on the streets. When you thrust that many people parking in your neighborhood all of a sudden with a bass noise pounding in all parts of the house and you also have older Hispanic families that have been living here since the 50s, 60s, and 70s, you can imagine there's going to be a lot of pissed off people, especially after you hear about this retarded loop hole they're using for the temporary stage. Again, I'm just going to have to get used to it or my girlfriend is going to convince me to move. haha

38 minutes ago, mbx said:

Many homes in that area don't have garages so street parking is the only option.

That's a lifestyle choice. It's the same as these townhome builders that build driveways so short that the homeowner has no choice but to block the sidewalk when they park in their driveway. Buying a house with a tiny driveway doesn't give the person the right to block a public right of way. Similarly, choosing to buy a house with no garage doesn't give the homeowner the right to banish all cars from public property such as a street. If people want more parking dedicated to their sole use, they should build it on their own property.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, kylejack said:

That's a lifestyle choice. It's the same as these townhome builders that build driveways so short that the homeowner has no choice but to block the sidewalk when they park in their driveway. Buying a house with a tiny driveway doesn't give the person the right to block a public right of way. Similarly, choosing to buy a house with no garage doesn't give the homeowner the right to banish all cars from public property such as a street. If people want more parking dedicated to their sole use, they should build it on their own property.

I hear yall... I really do. I guess what I'm saying is, I feel like the developers should have built a parking garage instead. They expect 3,000 people for this one show alone and even more at the one after this. If two people go in a car, you still have 1,500 cars showing up (exclude biking and light rail) with only about 400 spots. You can imagine the type of nightmare that's going to bring to an area.

Again, I know we'll have to get used to the parking issue (most likely, we'll put up no parking signs in the neighborhood which would be a bummer for everyone) but the noise is a separate issue... The Woodland Heights and Glen Park have already banded together to report every single noise complaint to the city. Like I said, there's a lot of pissed off people after this Houston Chron article came out.

Me, although I'm clearly mixed, still kind of excited about this place. It looks fantastic and it's made this area look a lot nicer.

19 minutes ago, kylejack said:

Similarly, choosing to buy a house with no garage doesn't give the homeowner the right to banish all cars from public property such as a street.

Fully agree with you. Only noted how it can be an inconvenience to people who already live there and didn't have the foresight to realize they would have the shell out beaucoup money for a new garage because street parking is no longer available to them. 

People do however have the right to shape the character of their neighborhood as they see fit. It's not uncommon for neighborhoods to strategically add stop signs and speed bumps to slow or divert traffic, or worse, petition the city and wrecker lobbies to enforce residential permit parking.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mbx said:

Fully agree with you. Only noted how it can be an inconvenience to people who already live there and didn't have the foresight to realize they would have the shell out beaucoup money for a new garage because street parking is no longer available to them. 

That's true too. Most of these people, at least on our side, have been living here for 40 to 50 years. Most are low income and this concert hall news only popped up in the last year or so. 

If the area were richer, they could just petition for neighborhood parking only. Southampton does it on the streets closest to Rice because so many students and employees were clogging the roads by parking everywhere. It made it so emergency vehicles couldn't pass. Hint... there's your angle.

Also, Southampton Extension has no parking during daytime hours so Rice Village patrons won't clog their streets as well. I've gotten a ticket there before without knowing because the signage isn't great.

I learned today from hearsay that WHCA has already petitioned the city for residential permit parking in Germantown. There is also talk of converting the North St bridge for pedestrian use only when the i-45 expansion begins. 

1 hour ago, KinkaidAlum said:

If the area were richer, they could just petition for neighborhood parking only. Southampton does it on the streets closest to Rice because so many students and employees were clogging the roads by parking everywhere. It made it so emergency vehicles couldn't pass. Hint... there's your angle.

Also, Southampton Extension has no parking during daytime hours so Rice Village patrons won't clog their streets as well. I've gotten a ticket there before without knowing because the signage isn't great.

Actually, that's what it sounds like this neighborhood will petition for also... about the emergency vehicles. Video on the Glen Park side of the argument:

http://www.khou.com/news/local/new-downtown-music-venue-raises-parking-concerns/123534521

6 hours ago, Triton said:

Wow there's no way the sound test they just performed is legal. 120 decibels by the neighborhood's measurements and most have already reported it to the city.

I was wondering how the first sound test would go over.. 120dB? Geez.. Any chance there is space where they could build a parking garage between the outdoor stage area and the neighborhood? Seems like it could be a win win. More venue parking, taking cars off the local streets, and a potential sound block?

11 hours ago, mbx said:

I learned today from hearsay that WHCA has already petitioned the city for residential permit parking in Germantown. There is also talk of converting the North St bridge for pedestrian use only when the i-45 expansion begins. 

Converting North St for pedestrian use would hurt this project.  Without its close proximity to the Heights, no one would know how to get to this development.  The parking is going to be a serious issue and I'm amazed the city hasn't interjected with concern over emergency vehicle access

13 hours ago, Triton said:

Wow there's no way the sound test they just performed is legal. 120 decibels by the neighborhood's measurements and most have already reported it to the city.

There are decibel measuring devices installed in the neighborhood? Are they the neighborhood's or the music hall's? 

I think everyone is getting a bit dramatic. If parking becomes a problem for the residences, the city gives you several options. If the sound is too loud, the City has ordinances for that. If the music hall is having a hard time getting people in to the show because of parking, they will have to fix it or go under. Somehow Fitzgeralds with their like 10 parking spots manages. At the end of the day, homes right on all the action on White Oak are selling at the same price as the rest of the neighborhood farther away. I think this area will be fine.

The concert was awesome and organized quite well. As a former sound engineer, I thought the levels inside the venue were perfect. Only problems I heard were an issue with cars getting stuck in gravel and some not allowed back-in after thinking there was re-entry.

Houston Press's review is spot on: http://www.houstonpress.com/music/if-m83-is-any-indication-white-oak-music-hall-has-a-bright-future-8314372

The exit music sounded faint walking over the North St bridge back towards Woodland Heights. Don't think it will be an issue on that side. Curious to know how the sound fared in Glen Park.

On 4/10/2016 at 5:49 AM, LarryDierker said:

We could just hang out on tritons's lawn while he's at the show. I hear the decibels are quite high. haif party?

I'd actually be down for a HAIF party.. but my neighborhood probably hates me cause I hosted a 70 person party a week before this grand opening... some people asked me if I was getting people ready for the big event, parking wise. :lol:

As for the neighborhood, the readings came out again to 110 to 120 decibels. Most windows were rattling in people's homes. There's going to be a big meeting about it this week at the Castillo Community Center but I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend that. Inside the concert hall itself, I heard about the samethings I saw on Twitter and Reddit... the music was really great, quality wise, but you could clearly hear a lot of people talking, so perhaps wasn't loud enough inside the venue itself? 

As for parking, it was still pretty much a madhouse, especially with the concert hall charging $15 and $20 for their parking locations. I'm not too concerned about parking though anymore since I am going to be getting the city to do permit parking in front of my place.

My main beefs: there was only one entrance. This caused a line to form from the music hall all the way down the sidewalk to the light rail tracks... yes, that's far and ridiculous. Should have had entrances from both sides. This also caused the left side (east) to fill up quickly while the right side was pretty open. Eventually, the fire marshall asked everyone to move to the right.

Second beef: No re-entry?? My friend and me were getting a little chilly so I was going to walk back to my house and grab a jacket. Didn't see the sign facing the way going out that there's no re-entry.. was a little disappointed about that.

Not sure how loud it was at my house since I love M83 and saw them live. Overall, it's absolutely a music landmark overlooking a creek that has potential and has an outstanding view of the city. Once the parking situation gets figured out and the developers finally build a permanent stage and are more in line with city sound ordinances, this place could be a huge plus for all.

• Like 5

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Fans-neighbors-sound-off-on-White-Oak-Music-Hall-7242220.php?t=91bd604f0a&cmpid=twitter-premium#photo-9786904

" dozens of people who called the police to report noise violations, although a Houston Police Department spokesman said Monday it had no record of any complaints issued from the area surrounding the venue on Saturday night"

That's odd... Does the stage face the neighborhood?