Hyatt Place Hotel At 1114 Texas St.

pineda

**** Can we move this post to the Downtown Forum ****

This is no different than the other hotel renovations we have followed there (Downtown Forum)

honestly sounds like construction logistics. I am sure the developers of this project would have worked out the functionality of the final product by now. I am optimistic that we will see construction activity this year.

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 1

I seems to me that downtown hotel space has exploded over the last 4 years and I just have a nagging sense that it is getting over built.  6 years ago it could be hard to find a room in downtown on any given day.  Now, that really doesn't seem to be the case.  But, I know zip about the lodging business and what "over built" means.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I seems to me that downtown hotel space has exploded over the last 4 years and I just have a nagging sense that it is getting over built.  6 years ago it could be hard to find a room in downtown on any given day.  Now, that really doesn't seem to be the case.  But, I know zip about the lodging business and what "over built" means.

Remember, we are shooting for the highest level of conference hosting. This requires a hotel / bed minimum. We were drastically short compared to other cities we try to compete with. All these rooms help. We also have growth in residents and office, which also increase the demand.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Hyatt-Place-Hotel-to-occupy-Southwestern-Bell-12361027.php

The midcentury Southwestern Bell building in downtown Houston will get new life as a 150-room Hyatt Place Hotel.

The development group, including Anthony Patel and Nick Patel of Pride Management, has obtained a $22.8 million loan for the long-vacant building from Dallas-based Hall Structured Finance, the companies announced. Renovation of the 16-story high-rise is targeted for completion by March 2019.

The first-lien construction loan, which closed after Hurricane Harvey and represents a portion of the development costs, will jump start the project.

• Like 7

Wow!  That’s great news.  A 16 month construction cycle seems a bit optimistic to me but, whatever.  

What I am really enjoying is seeing how the hotel chains are putting various “levels” of product  across downtown.  Some “luxury”, some “business”, some “budget” etc.  Kinda cool to watch.

is ther one category that we don’t have in DT yet?  “Extended stay”?  I don’t think that we have that, yet.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Wow!  That’s great news.  A 16 month construction cycle seems a bit optimistic to me but, whatever.  

What I am really enjoying is seeing how the hotel chains are putting various “levels” of product  across downtown.  Some “luxury”, some “business”, some “budget” etc.  Kinda cool to watch.

is ther one category that we don’t have in DT yet?  “Extended stay”?  I don’t think that we have that, yet.

We have a Residence Inn and a Homewood Suites.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

FWIW, the doors were open again yesterday with a port-a-potty parked in the vestibule.  A few workers were milling about waiting for someone or something else to show up.

It would appear that at least some cash is flowing, which is always a good sign.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

Rooms at the Hyatt Place Hotel project, between Fannin and San Jacinto, will be on floors 3 through 16 and average more than 400 square feet each, according to Hall Structured Finance. Plans call for a dining area on the ground floor, a rooftop cocktail bar, a pool and fitness center in the basement, and 800 square feet of meeting space on the second floor.

Keep 'em coming. That'd give us three rooftop hangouts downtown (the others being Le Meridien and Aloft).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

That's not accurate. There are other rooftop bars in downtown: The Grove, El Big Bad, and the High Dive at Marriott Marquis.

The Grove yes.  El Big Bad no - it is a balcony attached to the second floor of the building.  I didn't know about High Dive either.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:48 PM, H-Town Man said:

One measure of downtown success will be when the sidewalks are so busy that any development must keep them open and build covered walkways. Still a long way off.

I think there might be some requirement that at least one side of any given block must be open. The International Tower Garage project had a covered "sidewalk" in one lane of Prairie Street while the Chronicle building across the street was being demolished.  It turned in to a bum toilet.

It's nice when they wrap up a project and open the area back up with brand new surroundings. Big stuff like 609 Main (which had a covered sidewalk on Main) and Hillcorp blocked off entire blocks for long periods.

1 hour ago, Nate99 said:

I think there might be some requirement that at least one side of any given block must be open. The International Tower Garage project had a covered "sidewalk" in one lane of Prairie Street while the Chronicle building across the street was being demolished.  It turned in to a bum toilet.

It's nice when they wrap up a project and open the area back up with brand new surroundings. Big stuff like 609 Main (which had a covered sidewalk on Main) and Hillcorp blocked off entire blocks for long periods.

Yeah, there obviously isn't the level of pedestrian traffic currently for such a requirement to make sense.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

To move big heavy or dirty stuff that for many reasons would be impractical to move in a normal elevator.

Agree, and I would presume that rehabbing old elevators that have been out of service for a long time is fairly time consuming, specialized work.  Putting that in the way of the rest of your critical path could push your schedule significantly.

• Like 1