Pizza in Houston

Frank's is very good.  I have had Piola twice with one hit and one miss.  

Pizza le Vino is a new delivery place that will deliver you wine as well.  I have had it about 4 times and it was pretty awesome.

Regular pizza, Frank's. I love the atmosphere there, it's always busy, and when we're stuck at work, they deliver.

For specialty/ hippy pizzas, Reserve 101 at Dallas at Caroline, across from HoB.

the BBQ chicken and pineapple pizza is to die for, and the pepperoni/feta pizza is awesome  :)

Downtown pizza on my boycott list:

Frank's: They lobbied City Council not to allow food trucks to operate with permission on private property Downtown.

Bombay Pizza: They weren't paying overtime to kitchen staff, some of which were working more than 80 hours a week

• Like 2

I consider myself something of an expert here as I have tried literally dozens of places.

The best is

Pizza King in League City, which is near where my parents live.

Also in that general area is a new place called Slices and Ices, which has a good grandma slice, and Dan's which is excellent for full pizzas.

In the city, I think the best overall is Pizzeria Solario, but the service is slow, and it's gourmet.

For Deep Dish, Pizza L'Vino, followed by Candelari's and Chicago Pizza.

For Italian style, Solario followed by Piola and nundini.

For slices, Romano's, then Frank's.

For value, Pizza Patron followed by Daddy O's (hole in the wall off Antoine)

For overall, Solario, then Pizza L'Vino (provided you don't order just cheese), and then Pink's/Daddy O's

Happy's is on my list I need to try. But overall I wasn't impressed by Luigi's, Tastee, Brother's, New York Pizzeria, Pizaro, Ponzo's, Texas Pizza, Flakey's, Gotham, Capone's, Napoli, Collina's, and Star (the MOST overrated)

Luna is a new place, pretty good too but kind of greasy.

If you're ever in south Dallas aka woodlands gozetti's is pretty good.

Edited by Slick Vik

Happy's is on my list I need to try. But overall I wasn't impressed by Luigi's, Tastee, Brother's, New York Pizzeria, Pizaro, Ponzo's, Texas Pizza, Flakey's, Gotham, Capone's, Napoli, Collina's, and Star (the MOST overrated)

If you're ever in south Dallas aka woodlands gozetti's is pretty good.

I'd certainly agree with Star being overrated.

I may have to try Gozzetti's...

Grimaldi's in The Woodlands is pretty good, but not worth the wait when they're busy.

I'm curious as to what kind of pizza those who consider Star overrated have had there. I've eaten pizza at a lot of places, and IMO the deep-dish Joe's at Star has very few peers. 

Soggy from the veggies that should have been cooked before going onto the pizza.

I'm curious as to what kind of pizza those who consider Star overrated have had there. I've eaten pizza at a lot of places, and IMO the deep-dish Joe's at Star has very few peers.

Deep dish, regular crust. It seems like it's more of a place people feel cool about saying they're at than the pizza itself.

• Like 1

I've had several different pizzas from Star. If you eat in, they are passable, but for take out, or if you eat slow, the crust gets soggy, and I've had a couple that weren't completely cooked. As mentioned above, they need to cook the water out of the veggies as well. Their lunch buffet isn't too bad, but I still prefer Candelari's.

I've had several different pizzas from Star. If you eat in, they are passable, but for take out, or if you eat slow, the crust gets soggy, and I've had a couple that weren't completely cooked. As mentioned above, they need to cook the water out of the veggies as well. Their lunch buffet isn't too bad, but I still prefer Candelari's.

This occurred to me after I posted, and I think there's definitely something to it. I've never had a bad meal there when dining in, but have been underwhelmed by takeout. The other thing that occurred to me is that they've been around for quite a few years, and it's possible that they're coasting on their past glory, when there wasn't nearly the amount of competition that there is now. 

There might be some truth to that, I've been eating there for decades and it seems to me that it isn't quite as good as it used to be.

eating in is okay, but I stopped takeout there for the same reasons.

now when I do takeout for Pizza, I hit up franks.

Pizza L'Vino is my new go to for hand tossed. Their ingredients are very fresh. For deep dish the two times I tried from there, it was way undercooked for my taste (delivery). I just popped it in the oven on a pizza stone for a few minutes and then it was pretty good.

I haven't had Star in a while, but always loved their wheat deep dish. Never had any problems with soggy toppings.

Franks for a late night slice for sure!

I wish I could like Pink's more since I can walk there, but its just too expensive...

Has anyone tried the new pizza/pizza by the slice place that opened up at the corner of montrose and westheimer in the location that was Montrose Photo Booth? It just opened last week:   http://www.pepperonis.net/

Montrose Now Open!

(713) 526-0202
2710B Montrose Blvd.
Houston, TX 77006

Hours

Mon - Sat: 7am-10pm
Sunday: noon-10pm

Slices only after 10pm (with a cool little walk up window for slices after 10 till late...2 or 3am maybe?)

Edited by gene

Pepperoni's next to BBs. I was going by and saw they were giving away a free slice as part of their soft opening. Got a slice of pepperoni, pretty good. I guess its a local chain with several locations in the burbs. Pink's is probably the closest thing I could describe it as (both the place and the pie). The guy said they were planning on being open til at least 2am Thursday-Saturday for slices.