Downtown Office Market

Lowbrow

Burlington is another great outfit. They bought up Louisiana Land and Exploration which makes BR one of the biggest onshore players in Louisiana for oil and gas... and that is saying something.

Both Burlington Resources and El Paso Natural Gas are spin-offs of Burlington Northern RR.

Edited by Lowbrow

Here's confirmation on one of the rumors.

EPCO (Enterprise) is buying 1100 Louisiana and moving their offices downtown, filling the building, which is now 75% occupied. Doesn't sound like 600,000 square feet, but still sweet.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Edited by Houston19514

not 600,000, but 325,000 isn't bad. It's definitely a good start. I work in 1100 Louisiana, and the West side of downtown was completely dead following the Enron collapse. There is definitely a lot more life here with Chevron and I expect the Enterprise move will add even more.

many moved to the new enron building but i would not be suprised to hear more from chevron, before the end of the year... just a hunch. they keep playing with office space in houston and they don't seem to be making decisions on new orleans either.

• 1 month later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories.../26/story5.html

Second Enron tower beckons as Chevron hunts for space

Jennifer Dawson

Houston Business Journal

Buying the brand-new skyscraper developed by Enron Corp. apparently wasn't enough for Chevron U.S.A.

The California-based oil and gas company acquired the downtown office tower last year for the purpose of consolidating employees. But the 1.2 million-square-foot building at 1500 Louisiana isn't big enough to hold the projected number of transplanted workers.

From article:

" Chevron requires an additional 500,000 to 700,000 square feet, according to the buzz among downtown real estate brokers."

WOOOOOOOOHOOO! :)

But, in 2007, Heritage Plaza will be almost vacant, it seems...:(

Edited by UrbaNerd

• 2 months later...

This was in yesterday's HBJ but decided to post the article to start a discussion, since Chevron-Texaco increased their office demand a couple of weeks ago as well.

I've not heard any updated stats on the office vacancy rate but I'd imagine that it's under 20% again. The key to garnering any prospects for new office construction is getting the vacancy rate closer to 12%. I realize that the Bayou Place expansion will bring more office space into the market but still... the fact that over half a million feet of additional (meaning, beyond what was already expected) office space has been absorbed is a good sign.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ml?surround=lfn

This was in yesterday's HBJ but decided to post the article to start a discussion, since Chevron-Texaco increased their office demand a couple of weeks ago as well.

I've not heard any updated stats on the office vacancy rate but I'd imagine that it's under 20% again. The key to garnering any prospects for new office construction is getting the vacancy rate closer to 12%. I realize that the Bayou Place expansion will bring more office space into the market but still... the fact that over half a million feet of additional (meaning, beyond what was already expected) office space has been absorbed is a good sign.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...ml?surround=lfn

A Wall Street Journal article about this issue stated that 4th Quarter 2005 vacancy had dropped to 19.4%, which has to be considered a psychological barrier of sorts. If your CBD is over 20% vacant, you have this fatalistic feeling. Once it drops below 20%, you feel that it might survive. 19.4 may not be much under 20, but it sure sounds better without the 2 at the beginning of it.

• 7 months later...

With Chevron's purchase of the old Enron Tower taking nearly 1,100,000 square feet of vacant space off the market and Brookfield's announcement that in addition to their purchase of both Enron towers, the entire Allen Center complex, and two vacant parcels, there's further good news today.

Cheniere Energy is almost doubling their downtown lease...

http://www.houston.bizjournals.com/houston...23/daily33.html

What's up with Heritage Plaza?

I walked by Friday and the entrance was boarded up.

Is it completely empty? I remember the day they removed the big "T".

So is Texaco not in there (Heritage) any more? I have a friend who worked there, but i haven't heard from him in a while. Guess I need to give him a call.