Two Hermann Place & Three Herman Place: High-Rises At 1661 Hermann Dr.

ClutchCity

• 1 month later...

Not sure how this judgement will affect this project but it certainly doesn't help.

Houston property management firm hit with $62 million judgment

Natalie Postgate The Texas Lawbook
Aug. 17, 2021Updated: Aug. 17, 2021 12:21 p.m.

A federal judge in Sherman on Thursday awarded Plano-based property management software company ResMan $62.5 million and permanently enjoined ResMan’s courtroom opponents, Houston-based Karya Property Management and Expedien, from accessing and using ResMan’s confidential information.

The final judgment follows a jury trial this spring that found Karya and Expedien improperly accessed ResMan’s confidential software to develop a rival product. The five-woman, three-man jury awarded ResMan $152 million. U.S. District Judge Amos Mazzant’s $62.5 million award reflects what is allowed under the law.

The plaintiff is entitled to attorneys’ fees, and on Thursday ResMan’s lawyers asked the court to award $14.8 million in attorneys’ fees and other costs.

“ResMan is very pleased with the final judgment and permanent injunction,” Maria Wyckoff Boyce, a Hogan Lovells partner and ResMan’s lead attorney, said in a statement.

In a statement, Swapnil Agarwal, chief executive of Karya Property Management and its sister company, Nitya Capital, said only that plans at the companies would not be impacted by the judgment.

“Nitya is in the process of closing deals worth $650 million in the next 45 days,” he said, adding that the company is expanding in Orlando, Fla., with the purchase of 1,600 apartment units and in Dallas with the purchase of 2,500 units.

R.A. Schuetz contributed to this report.

A longer version of this story is available at TexasLawbook.net.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"-Nitya Capital, a leading national privately-owned real estate investment firm headquartered in Houston, today announced a portfolio sale of five Houston multifamily assets, consisting of more than 1500 units."

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220523005783/en/ Nitya-Capital-Exits-Houston-Multi-Family-Portfolio

I wonder if they are hurting for money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

"-Nitya Capital, a leading national privately-owned real estate investment firm headquartered in Houston, today announced a portfolio sale of five Houston multifamily assets, consisting of more than 1500 units."

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220523005783/en/ Nitya-Capital-Exits-Houston-Multi-Family-Portfolio

I wonder if they are hurting for money.

haha you realize people sell assets in times other than being short on cash, right?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, swtsig said:

haha you realize people sell assets in times other than being short on cash, right?

I thought Tema Development was the owner of this site and Nitya was just a syndicator for capital—but I don’t see Two Hermann as an investment option with Nitya, so I’m not sure if Tema’s still using them to try to raise equity.

8 hours ago, swtsig said:

I think we're riding a serious housing bubble and we've already passed the high water mark. If they're thinking the same thing, now is the time to sell. I doubt this will be as bad as 2008, but even so, it could be 5-8 years before inflation-adjusted prices recover.

Houston does seem pretty resilient to bubbles bursting though. Where I'm from in small-town Michigan, prices have only just gone up to 2008 levels. My parents were under water on their mortgage for a decade.

Edited by aachor
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Two Hermann Place & Three Herman Place: High-Rises At 1661 Hermann Dr.
  • 6 months later...

Tema Development's The Parklane apartment-to-condo conversion wraps up - Houston Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

"The building sits along the northeastern edge of Hermann Park and is part of Tema Development’s master plan for the 6.8-acre site it owns there, which also includes One Hermann Place, at 1699 Hermann Drive, which was completed in 2016, and the 32-story Two Hermann Place, at 1661 Hermann Place, which is still under construction."

Um... who wants to tell the reporter about the HMNS-contracted parking over there?

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

Tema Development's The Parklane apartment-to-condo conversion wraps up - Houston Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

"The building sits along the northeastern edge of Hermann Park and is part of Tema Development’s master plan for the 6.8-acre site it owns there, which also includes One Hermann Place, at 1699 Hermann Drive, which was completed in 2016, and the 32-story Two Hermann Place, at 1661 Hermann Place, which is still under construction."

Um... who wants to tell the reporter about the HMNS-contracted parking over there?

Tema was previously working with Nitya Capital on this.  The most recent write-up I recall referencing Nitya is the one below, which just briefly mentioned them as one of the companies facing apparent distress:

https://therealdeal.com/magazine/national-december-2023/syndicators-are-sinking-wholl-make-it-out-alive/

Two Hermann Place is at least fully permitted.......if rates drop a bit and there's an itch to get something up relatively quickly in anticipation of multifamily shortages in 2026 and beyond, I'd guess it might have a shot.  I dunno if Nitya would be the one to get the equity in order, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1