What is your ideal transit plan for Houston?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cloud. Really like the streetcar concept. That really addresses the last-mile issue.

I also agree about the way you connect HOU via the East End LR down Broadway. This seems to make more sense and where I think Metro is headed. Could make the terminus right in the Hobby Parking Garage. How slick would that be!?

Thank you, the "last mile" light rail issue was the main thing I was trying to address with the streetcar system. I really think those areas are some of the most prime in Houston for a streetcar network to help promote walkability and an urban lifestyle. The East End system as planned is about 4 miles long. At 10 million a mile that's only 40 million.. The midtown/medical center/4th ward streetcar system is probably closer to 10 miles (completely random guesstimate, I haven't done the math) but that would still only be the price of about one mile of light rail. I think it would be worth it given all the additional ridership it would add to the light rail system, the extentions of the "last mile" range around the light rail lines, and the cars it would take off the roads in the downtown area.

I wasn't completely set on ending the commuter rail at Hobby, I wasn't sure how people would feel about it but I really like your idea of putting the terminus in the Hobby parking garage.

I would build the light rail as planned except have it go through Afton Oaks and have it submerged at the 4 most busy intersections. Furthermore, the light rail wouldn't be built at the expense of local bus and P&R bus; in fact they would be expanded. 

Thank you, the "last mile" light rail issue was the main thing I was trying to address with the streetcar system. I really think those areas are some of the most prime in Houston for a streetcar network to help promote walkability and an urban lifestyle. The East End system as planned is about 4 miles long. At 10 million a mile that's only 40 million.. The midtown/medical center/4th ward streetcar system is probably closer to 10 miles (completely random guesstimate, I haven't done the math) but that would still only be the price of about one mile of light rail. I think it would be worth it given all the additional ridership it would add to the light rail system, the extentions of the "last mile" range around the light rail lines, and the cars it would take off the roads in the downtown area.

I wasn't completely set on ending the commuter rail at Hobby, I wasn't sure how people would feel about it but I really like your idea of putting the terminus in the Hobby parking garage.

Great thinking

The terminus for Minneapolis' light rail is the garage of mall of America, but it stops at both terminals of msp before that.

For it to end at the hobby garage will require some interesting routing options.

If the LR entered down the center of Broadway couldn't the line just enter the parking structure? The Stone Fountain thing would have to be moved elsewhere or removed completely. And, Broadway...wow...such an impressive gateway. I always enjoy taking first time out-of-town guests down this magnificent and welcoming corridor. ;-)

Thank you, the "last mile" light rail issue was the main thing I was trying to address with the streetcar system. I really think those areas are some of the most prime in Houston for a streetcar network to help promote walkability and an urban lifestyle. The East End system as planned is about 4 miles long. At 10 million a mile that's only 40 million.. The midtown/medical center/4th ward streetcar system is probably closer to 10 miles (completely random guesstimate, I haven't done the math) but that would still only be the price of about one mile of light rail.

Are you talking the METRO east end line?  where are you getting the 10 million a mile figure?  the railroad underpass is over 40 million alone.

If the LR entered down the center of Broadway couldn't the line just enter the parking structure? The Stone Fountain thing would have to be moved elsewhere or removed completely. And, Broadway...wow...such an impressive gateway. I always enjoy taking first time out-of-town guests down this magnificent and welcoming corridor. ;-)

The fountain and statue have to go, b But the thru traffic lane for people to (stupidly) circle around would be disrupted.

Not to mention the entrance and exit roads would either have to be reduced in the number of lanes, moved, or taken out altogether.

What would be ideal is for the light rail to go underground completely as to not disrupt surface automobile infrastructure. 

You could have the rail station underneath the baggage claim at Hobby.

What would be ideal is for the light rail to go underground completely as to not disrupt surface automobile infrastructure. 

You could have the rail station underneath the baggage claim at Hobby.

I don't see how that would be ideal given the cost. A perfect compromise would be to submerge rail at a handful of key intersections. 

I don't see how that would be ideal given the cost. A perfect compromise would be to submerge rail at a handful of key intersections.

But why not elevate it once it crosses 45? Then you can continue it so it can drop off/pick up just above the arrival ramp?

Besides, that area floods to easily during a major storm.

I was only suggesting to submerge it when it got to Hobby Airport, not the whole way.  But grade separations (whether elevated or submerged) over most intersections would be nice. 

Are you talking the METRO east end line?  where are you getting the 10 million a mile figure?  the railroad underpass is over 40 million alone.

I think the poster is getting the 10 million figure from the East End street car presentation. It's not from Metro. I know I have seen that figure somewhere in the report.

I think the poster is getting the 10 million figure from the East End street car presentation. It's not from Metro. I know I have seen that figure somewhere in the report.

precisely.. the 10 million a mile figure is for the street car. light rail is over 100 million a mile if im not mistaken. i really hope Houston brings back the streetcar.. it would be a great addition to expand the reach of the light rail system and to promote more development inside the city.

• 2 weeks later...

Some terrible sketches, but you get the idea. The roads are fairly accurate. there was just a bit of sharpie bleeding through from when i had the papers stacked on top of each other.

The black is light rail, blue is commuter rail (the yellow makes the blue look black when they are on the same corridor), and yellow is high speed rail. I wasnt sure wether to have the high speed rail going to Austin or San Antonio but im sure they could easily branch that line off of either corridor to serve both cities, so the option is open, though 290 already has the rail line along Hempstead highway.

8012D9A8-4240-4DE7-8853-0F826CC66ABF-989

Here's my inner city street car plans, with the light rail system drawn in as well. The East End streetcar system is drawn in, as is my doodles for a streetcar system serving the midtown region and beyond.

At the southern end the streetcar tracks make a loop around the medical center/through the museum district, down bissonnet-binz, almeda, halcombe, and back up greenbriar. From there continuing north across 59 where the streetcar line continues down Shepard, where it finally turns right on Gray, where it travels east through midtown before looping back around just before 288. I also have a streetcar line going down montrose, from the Sam houston statue turn around at the museum district, all the way north to Washington ave, where the line would run east/west down Washington ave, stretching east into downtown, ending by minute maid park. There is also a spur off of montrose going down westheimer/Elgin, and turning around at Baldwin park. Either that or have it go down Alabama and turn around at the 288/59 junction. Another route I just thought of would be a route down W Dallas street, traveling into downtown, following the road northeast as if turns into bagby street, and have that spur connect into the Washington Ave line.

I'm sure there are better routes, as I'm not very familiar with the midtown area, these are just some ideas I had after looking at a map of the area and finding roads that were at least 4 lanes, in popular developed areas.

1ac35a12-c01a-4323-9a6e-ebafe08de3fd_zps

i need to draw up new plans because it just occurred to me how badly uptown needs better transit, im going to draw up a streetcar system to connect into the brt/future lightrail

Some terrible sketches, but you get the idea. The roads are fairly accurate. there was just a bit of sharpie bleeding through from when i had the papers stacked on top of each other.

The black is light rail, blue is commuter rail (the yellow makes the blue look black when they are on the same corridor), and yellow is high speed rail. I wasnt sure wether to have the high speed rail going to Austin or San Antonio but im sure they could easily branch that line off of either corridor to serve both cities, so the option is open, though 290 already has the rail line along Hempstead highway.

Here's my inner city street car plans, with the light rail system drawn in as well. The East End streetcar system is drawn in, as is my doodles for a streetcar system serving the midtown region and beyond.

At the southern end the streetcar tracks make a loop around the medical center/through the museum district, down bissonnet-binz, almeda, halcombe, and back up greenbriar. From there continuing north across 59 where the streetcar line continues down Shepard, where it finally turns right on Gray, where it travels east through midtown before looping back around just before 288. I also have a streetcar line going down montrose, from the Sam houston statue turn around at the museum district, all the way north to Washington ave, where the line would run east/west down Washington ave, stretching east into downtown, ending by minute maid park. There is also a spur off of montrose going down westheimer/Elgin, and turning around at Baldwin park. Either that or have it go down Alabama and turn around at the 288/59 junction. Another route I just thought of would be a route down W Dallas street, traveling into downtown, following the road northeast as if turns into bagby street, and have that spur connect into the Washington Ave line.

I'm sure there are better routes, as I'm not very familiar with the midtown area, these are just some ideas I had after looking at a map of the area and finding roads that were at least 4 lanes, in popular developed areas.

1ac35a12-c01a-4323-9a6e-ebafe08de3fd_zps

the Uptown plans consist of streetcar lines (BURGUNDY) going East/West on San Filipe, Westheimer (and W. Alabama for a brief period to make a loop around the Galleria, and past Williams tower), and Bellaire; and North/South on Hillcroft, Chimney Rock, and Weslayan (admittedly mainly because of the 2929 Weslayan tower going up, lol); with future expansion (highlighter PINK) north of Uptown, into the Memorial neighborhoods, with a line running down Memorial connecting that area into the light rail line (BLUE) to the east, and a line running down Bissonnet from Weslayan to Hillcroft, with a possible extension (dashed pink lines) on towards 59, and then two other possible extensions east on Westheimer and east on Bellaire, connecting the uptown streetcar grid with the midtown streetcar system in my quoted plans, intersecting at Holcombe/Green Briar (for the south line), and Westheimer/Elgin (for the north line).

9D71427B-0581-44B7-A816-1DBF6CD4FF5C-227

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, totally Buck Rogers, but macro to micro,

1. Maglev Golden Triangle linking HTown to Dallas via 45 corridor; to San Antonio via i10 corridor, Austin via i10 then 71 corridor.

( connecting SA and Austin with Dallas via i35 corridor.)

2. Tolls- Hempstead Tollway following old Hempstead Rd.; Eastex tollway (think Katy style 2 lane); ???

3. Light rail- extend Northline to Bush airport, extend line to Uptown via Richmond, continue to Tollway connecting to Briar Lake(?), then to Memorial City area.

4. Living in LA for a few yrs I used the Orange line as well as the Red line. The Orange line was a luxury bus line with it's own path and green space. Really transformed the Valley in those areas. Would like to see these type of transit paths crisscrossing HTown. Only 1.50 for the start to stop pathway, up to roughly 20 miles or a monthly pass for only $72.

5. More rent-a-bikes for DT , UT, MT and Woodlands Pkwy

Again I know, I know, $ 20 billion and half a century later, I was just dreaming.

1. Maglev Golden Triangle linking HTown to Dallas via 45 corridor; to San Antonio via i10 corridor, Austin via i10 then 71 corridor.

( connecting SA and Austin with Dallas via i35 corridor.)

Again I know, I know, $ 20 billion and half a century later, I was just dreaming.

Um, this is way more than $20 billion. California's semi-high speed rail is estimated at $68 billion.  A Maglev Golden Triangle would be in the hundreds of billions.

I doodled one up on a population density map from flickr.

Houtrans_zps2d512d26.png

Black is Commuter Rail.

Red is Light Rail.

Green is Heavy Rail.

You have east and west Commuter Rail Circuits tied together by Heavy Rail serving the inner loop and Westchase business districts tied to light rail to serve inner city neighborhoods. Hardy Rail Yards would be the main hub with secondary hubs at Greenway Plaza, Wheeler, and Northwest TC.

Um, this is way more than $20 billion. California's semi-high speed rail is estimated at $68 billion. A Maglev Golden Triangle would be in the hundreds of billions.

Ok so 20 billion is too conservative. In the same token, trust me, I have lived in CA for 20 yrs. Any development estimated cost there is inflated. No I seriously don't think it will be hundreds of billions.

OK, this is gonna seem a bit nuts, but I'm gonna go with it: upgrade one sidewalk of Almeda Road into a wide "two lane" bicycle path, integrating the Brays Bayou trail with Hermann Park with Midtown and Downtown. This is to close Columbia Tap Rail Trail, as that tends to go through rough neighborhoods, and some bicyclists have even been assaulted. The closed Columbia Tap Rail Trail will then be made into a bus-only route connecting 288 to Interstate 45. A transit center will be built at Leeland and Velasco. 

Also, extend Spur 5 down to 610, except modify the route slightly to spare the Fiesta and Mykawa Road, instead taking out the vacant Auchan. 

Finish up the connections of Buffalo Speedway between Orem and Willowbend.

Connect Kirby between Holmes and Airport Boulevard. Rename the west part of Reed Road and close off the railroad crossing there.

this doesnt really have to do with transit except in the sense of pedestrians, but every time i look at a satellite view of Houston these big black parking lots stare back at me and i hate it. 
what if they expanded the sidewalks/turned them into "green trails" along Avenue of the Americas and Texas Ave, better connecting Discovery Green with Minute Maid Park and then down Texas Ave to BBVA Stadium. the "green trails" would be wider more bike/pedestrian friendly sidewalks with more shade and vegetation. there could also be more eccentric objects along the paths to look at like the train along Ave of the Americas. maybe other objects that reflect Houstons history like pieces of a space shuttle/rocket. i guess you could go so far as to add something from the energy or medical industries, but idk how great of a conversation piece they would make.
now back to those big parkinglots (which doesnt have much to do with this topic but i didnt know where else to put it without making a new thread).
i know they are mainly to serve for game days at MMP and BBVA Stadium, but MMP could build a parking garage over Hamilton Street, between the stadium and 59, with direct access from the garage into the stadium (the top floor could connect into the upper decks of the stadium, ect).
then BBVA could have a garage on 1/4th of the 4 block lot (most likely the corner of Texas and Bastrop, across from the stadium).
these garages would free up the remaining 5 blocks of parking lots for a large park and some development like a residential tower on one of the plots along the park.

Screenshot2013-08-28at22709PM_zps581a24c

Archived