Lumen: Apartments At 2400 West Dallas St.

guess

• The title was changed to Lumen: Apartments At 2400 W. Dallas St.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 3:50 PM, hindesky said:

Northwest corner. The ever present broken windows, I wonder if the estimators account for several replacements when estimating the cost of the project?

Yes, they do. I don't know the percent or dollars, but it's a part of const costs, like any other repair needed during const.

When we sold windows to multi-family, we used to offer free labor on all reglazes. GC only had to pay for the glass. Sometimes, if we really wanted a project, we'd even throw in "X amount" of free window replacements, ex: the first twenty free. It was easier than it sounds, as both the sash and the fixed panel were removable (Ply-Gem windows; we were their distributor in Houston at the time). So instead of having to send a glazier (an expensive employee) to actually replace the glass, a 15-30 minute chore, we would send a service person with the panels. Pop the old ones out, the new ones in. Takes a minute or two, and can be done from the inside (no scaffolding, easy peasy even on the higher floors). 

We (Gulf & Basco) were also the first company in Houston to offer film on our windows, instead of wrap. Starting sometime in the mid-90s, window companies started wrapping the entire window in a loose plastic bag. The idea was it kept const debris, esp drywall mud & mortar, off the glass, and made the final cleanup MUCH easier. It was a big hit. But one problem was in the summer, you couldn't get airflow, so workers started punching holes in the bags.

So in the early 2000s, we heard about this film that could be applied directly to the glass. The window was still operable, airflow worked, and at the end, you peeled it off. It was being used up north, but no one in our area did it. We offered it for $3/window, both sides, and it was an immediate hit. Within months, every window company in Houston was doing it (Champion, BFS, Kaiserhoff, etc).

Sorry you asked?

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 4:05 AM, TX3G4R said:

Why did they leave the garage so exposed? They should put a nice mesh facade or something. It looks really bad. They should've found a way to integrate it better. 

Money. It cost money to make things Iike this look nice and they determined that the money saved leaving this exposed would be more than the money lost from it not looking as nice. 

You also have to remember the people owning and financing these types of projects have no personal connection to the projects. They don’t care if it doesn’t look from certain angles or doesn’t fit well in the neighborhood or is just plain ugly. All that matters is ROI.

With that said I’m not dogging on this project, I quite like it, minus the exposed garage. I’m just trying to explain decisions like the above one. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, NB_Brendan said:

So much space wasted on a parking garage :/ 

I'm no fan of parking garages, but for Houston, this is quite well tucked-away. And as the area is not served by any higher-order transit and is on a segment of Dallas without bike infrastructure, I can't really see it working without a garage. 

I've come to accept that developers don't operate based on my fantasy rail & bike map, and that acceptance has brought me some peace.

This building is definitely a net-positive, in my opinion.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 004n063 said:

I'm no fan of parking garages, but for Houston, this is quite well tucked-away. And as the area is not served by any higher-order transit and is on a segment of Dallas without bike infrastructure, I can't really see it working without a garage. 

I've come to accept that developers don't operate based on my fantasy rail & bike map, and that acceptance has brought me some peace.

This building is definitely a net-positive, in my opinion.

oh for sure, it's just rather unfortunate is all. 

Question in reference to the wasted space.

Does anyone know if it would have been more expensive to do 2-3 levels of parking across the property and apartments above, similar to the Urban Genesis projects? It seems like it would have better utilized the space and they could have added more apartments, which means more income.