On 1/27/2021 at 11:14 AM, Naviguessor said:

Wow, Urb.  Lot's of meaty nuggets in this:

https://issuu.com/midway2/docs/210126_junior_achievement_rfp_response/6?ff

Aside from the Junior Achievement pitch, there is a list of prospective retail tenants and restaurants including Common Bond, Urban Eats, Southerleigh (From San Antonio), a Creek Group outlet, etc...   a Par-3 Golf course & Driving Range and Ice House on the eastern end of the property... Awesome! 

On 2/1/2021 at 10:48 AM, ljchou said:

IMG_1161(2).jpg.2941098afaf2bcd1cc07314fa3733046.jpgIMG_1160(2).jpg.b507a975d71306a1a6077da6d8c623fc.jpg

The names on the merchandising plan are purely representation of categories and uses. There are multiple brands that could successfully serve our coffee, juice, or yoga needs but the key is the placement of each within the project.

Our immediate focus is on the larger users in office and retail building along Buffalo Bayou, as they will be early adapters and set the tone for the project considering the buildings adjacent to both the Central Plaza and Bayou connections.

Current Tenant Mix:

2k SF restaurant by Fifth Ward resident and Multi-nominee of the James Beard Award

Papercity Magazine ran an advertorial article last month in partnership with Midway and East River. There weren't much new details, but there was confirmation that Johny Rhodes, the James Beard Award nominated chef of Indigo (closed last year), will open a restaurant in the East River mixed-use development.

News of the restaurant was leaked last year in the merchandising plan linked above. The unnamed restaurant will also join Rhodes' boutique market Brohams at East River.

From Papercity:

A new restaurant from local James Beard Award nominated Chef Jonny Rhodes, who earned national acclaim for his “neo-soul food” tasting menu as owner/chef of the former Restaurant Indigo, is also coming.

Rhodes grew up down the street from the East River site. With this new restaurant, his goal is to provide farmers market quality foods at an accessible price.

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estate/east-river-houston-coming-first-restaurant-stores-office-tenants/

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 4

most of the recent photos have been on the East side of this development following the golf course, but I was shocked driving by the West side on Jensen at how much dirt is moving around on that side.

this thing is definitely gathering steam and moving ahead at speed.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, samagon said:

most of the recent photos have been on the East side of this development following the golf course, but I was shocked driving by the West side on Jensen at how much dirt is moving around on that side.

this thing is definitely gathering steam and moving ahead at speed.

It was about time. At this rate, it will be finish once I retire. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2021 at 10:48 AM, ljchou said:

IMG_1161(2).jpg.2941098afaf2bcd1cc07314fa3733046.jpgIMG_1160(2).jpg.b507a975d71306a1a6077da6d8c623fc.jpg

Current Tenant Mix:

2k SF restaurant by Fifth Ward resident and Multi-nominee of the James Beard Award
4k SF cultural grocer/market
2k SF East End Barbershop
2.5k SF market of locally sources products from Fifth Ward retailers
10k SF Architectural Firm
20k SF multi-strategy holding company
5k SF ral estate development company
15k SF chain rooftop event space and cocktail lounge
3k SF bank
Preliminary negotiations are underway with tenants and build-to-suit opportunities.

Current On-Site Activations:

Moonstruck Drive-In Theater at East River specialized in first-run films and classics playing every Fri-Sun. In January on 2021, the drive-in will be a satellite location for the Sundance Film Festival. Additionally, the drive-in acts as the venue for monthly private events for non-profits, corporate and community functions.

East River Gold, a planned par-3 golf course with driving range and ice-house restaurant concept will be the eastern end of the property. Construction to begin 2021.

Plans are underway to bring a black-owned and operated urban farm to East River, offering access to fresh produce and community programming.

Aside from the proposed merchandising plan above, an updated one was accidently posted last spring on the East End District's Facebook page. However, no one posted a screenshot here. So, I don't know if the most recent site plan lines up with the placement of Lick and Broham on the previous one.

Here is an updated site plan for phase 1 of the East River mixed-use. Broham, Lick, and Urban Dental are shown (all were previously announced & discussed, but I don't recall seeing them listed on an updated site plan until this month, though it's possible I overlooked it). This is from East River's Loopnet, updated last week.

spacer.png

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/100-Jensen-Dr-Houston-TX/20944149

East River Retail Brochure (Jan. 2022)

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been following this topic for three years. I have a question I’ve wanted to ask this entire time.

I bought my house here in 2018 solely because of the East River development. I wanted to be “one of those people” who actually earn huge gains on a house. (Like The Heights homeowners who bought in the 90’s).

My problem with this neighborhood is the loud, angry, excessive train horns that surround us. Blowing more than the (long, long, short, long) sequence simply isn’t warranted at 2am. A single engineer choosing to blow 25-30x is overkill. I’ve done relentless legwork and learned there is no solution.

I find this neighborhood unlivable. The noise is one thing - so is the odor - there is no point sitting outside in the backyard. And the crime is a little annoying. Not being safe to walk at night is unacceptable. But when I drive along Clinton, and read HAIF, I’m 100% inspired and eager to stay. When I hear a train horn or gunshots, I want to drop everything and move. Two extremes.

Would it be the stupidest mistake of my life to sell the house? I don’t know how high home prices can go. Would a $280k house max out at $350k? East River is going to be monumental. The I-45 cap park affects us in a great way. So does the future of Navigation. Greater Fifth Ward may remain stagnant, but I think they want it that way.

Later this year will either be the greatest or stupidest decision I’ll make. It’s that extreme in my mind.

All that follows is my two cents only.

The short answer: if a big ROI matters to you, you would be dumb to sell right now.

The long answer: you don't get huge ROIs by buying in an area where people already want to live. Regardless of yours or anyone's feelings on gentrification, the reason you have so much headroom to appreciate is precisely because of the issues you're dealing with. I also bought in 2018 and also looked very strongly at buying over in that little Clinton pocket solely because of East River. Ultimately, I decided it wasn't worth it, and 4 years later as they barely break ground, I'm very happy with my decision. My advice would be: if what gets you excited is the possibilities you see for the neighborhood, being part of new and exciting things, then stick it out. If what gets you excited when you see things like East River, the cap parks, Navigation redevelopment, is what dollar signs it might mean for you, then go find somewhere you find livable. Life is too short.

• Like 1

what are cap parks? im actually building in the area now. im building a couple homes now. im excited.  im living in one and selling others..  the prices there are jumping so much im not even selling until its completed. yes i believe you will profit if you sell. depending on if you selling townhome.. and if its updated. if its a home with 5000 sqft lot...id hold on to it but it would definitely..prices will get crazy..especially with the high prices of wood. some builders are holding off until it goes back down... you also have the option of renting your home untill youre read to sell. Goodluck!! it doesnt matter where your  at …crime and gunshots all over houston. however im positive the area will get better

• Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 9:32 PM, HOUHOU83 said:

I’ve been following this topic for three years. I have a question I’ve wanted to ask this entire time.

I bought my house here in 2018 solely because of the East River development. I wanted to be “one of those people” who actually earn huge gains on a house. (Like The Heights homeowners who bought in the 90’s).

My problem with this neighborhood is the loud, angry, excessive train horns that surround us. Blowing more than the (long, long, short, long) sequence simply isn’t warranted at 2am. A single engineer choosing to blow 25-30x is overkill. I’ve done relentless legwork and learned there is no solution.

I find this neighborhood unlivable. The noise is one thing - so is the odor - there is no point sitting outside in the backyard. And the crime is a little annoying. Not being safe to walk at night is unacceptable. But when I drive along Clinton, and read HAIF, I’m 100% inspired and eager to stay. When I hear a train horn or gunshots, I want to drop everything and move. Two extremes.

Would it be the stupidest mistake of my life to sell the house? I don’t know how high home prices can go. Would a $280k house max out at $350k? East River is going to be monumental. The I-45 cap park affects us in a great way. So does the future of Navigation. Greater Fifth Ward may remain stagnant, but I think they want it that way.

Later this year will either be the greatest or stupidest decision I’ll make. It’s that extreme in my mind.

The Heights was loud with train horns and gun shots in the 90s too. You could hear the trains in the Jackson Hill area. It wasn't relentless horns like the east end. I've had fantasies of throwing eggs at the trains late at night but decided to buy a white noise machine. Now addicted to sleeping with said machine who travels with me everywhere.

Also hear gun shots but they're mostly celebratory on holidays (hopefully). Actually deleted the citizen app because I was tired of being paranoid about everything.

Anyways, I knew what I was getting into when I bought over here. Sure the horns are annoying, so is the stopped ones that block the crossings. You know what else is annoying? The Galleria area traffic. Couldn't wait to leave that place. What's worse than that? The elder and out of state drivers around the TMC. Perhaps even worse is the commute from the burbs on any freeway (IMO).

It's all relative. Hold out if for investment purposes. Or rent out the house! It should more than cover your mortgage. 

• Like 1

I've been a resident of the east end for 14 years now. 12 of those were at Telephone and Lawndale, right in the middle of 3 very busy tracks, 1 of which was less than a football field from my house. after the first 6 months of ownership, I didn't notice the noise. I did notice when the track nearest to my house became a quiet zone. I would wake up startled that I hadn't heard the noise I was expecting at 3am. lol. 

I now live about a mile down Lawndale from Telephone. I can hear the train along Griggs Rd. (one blowing his tooter right now!). it's something you get used to, and you don't notice after a while, it's blank noise after a while. and the potential of a quiet zone, especially when East River starts taking tenants, isn't outside the realm of possibility.

ever since someone on this forum recommended The New Potato it has been in my normal rotation of places to visit. I've never noticed a smell. can you describe it, I'll try to tune in next time I'm there.

as far as the look, and the safety, you gotta do you. I certainly had some uncertain moments when I first lived in the East End, but it paid off big. and I definitely used the memory of going over to my friends house in the heights in the late 90s as a shining example of why I didn't want to give up. 

here's a fun link to 2007 google street view of the entrance to my (former) neighborhood.  https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7291789,-95.3270715,3a,75y,278.55h,63.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sSnM81T5Aiqgalq-BrQnm4A!2e0!5s20071101T000000!7i3328!8i1664

yes, those are chickens. they lived in the neighborhood until about 2013.

On 2/6/2022 at 1:43 AM, MidwayBoy said:

what are cap parks? ....

at the moment it is vaporware. 

Edited by samagon

@HOUHOU83you just have to make that decision for yourself. 

I have my days where I feel a little out of my comfort zone when walking my dog but I also have days where I just feel lucky to be so central to everything and surrounded by potential on top of the existing charm. I don't know how close you are the train tracks and what smells you are suffering but neither of those things greatly affect me. Smells fine where I am except for maybe a day or two a year where the wind brings in something and the train while audible does not keep me up at night anymore. 

I moved in a few years before you did and have had moments where I felt like I wanted to move. If it was all about money, I probably would leave but I personally am enjoying watching the area take shape and hope to be here to reap the benefits that East River, The Mill and other developments bring to the area beyond financial gain.

36 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

@HOUHOU83you just have to make that decision for yourself. 

I have my days where I feel a little out of my comfort zone when walking my dog but I also have days where I just feel lucky to be so central to everything and surrounded by potential on top of the existing charm. I don't know how close you are the train tracks and what smells you are suffering but neither of those things greatly affect me. Smells fine where I am except for maybe a day or two a year where the wind brings in something and the train while audible does not keep me up at night anymore. 

I moved in a few years before you did and have had moments where I felt like I wanted to move. If it was all about money, I probably would leave but I personally am enjoying watching the area take shape and hope to be here to reap the benefits that East River, The Mill and other developments bring to the area beyond financial gain.

bolded can't be understated.

City Centre, Sugar Land Town Square, Woodlands Market Street. I've been to these places, they're great venues. movie theater, restaurants, shopping, outdoor space. for people with kids, these are gold mines. if the kid gets frustrated with shopping, go grab a coffee and let them run out their frustrations on the greenspace, then get back to shopping while they are too tired to be frustrated.

those sites are all roughly 30-40 acres, maybe more/less if we argue over what area is within the borders of these things.

just this phase 1 portion of the East River is 26 acres. the entire East River complex is 136 acres. so basically, take all 3 of those, pack them next to each other. that's what this is. and put it on waterfront property with an amazing view of downtown?

I will spend a lot of time and money here, I have a feeling.

• Like 1

Out of pure curiosity, what odor? Based on your description, I live fairly close to you (south bank of the Bayou) and don't notice any particular odor. I have lived here for about 7 years though, so I may just be used to it.

26 minutes ago, JBTX said:

Out of pure curiosity, what odor? Based on your description, I live fairly close to you (south bank of the Bayou) and don't notice any particular odor. I have lived here for about 7 years though, so I may just be used to it.

The odor I’ve noticed is some mixture of landfill/sewage/bayou. It’s strong especially along Clinton, from Eado Edge to almost New Potato. It somewhat extends into the neighborhood. It’s not everyday, but some nights it’s so thick, car/house windows close immediately.

It was a topic during a civic meeting about a year ago. I don’t know what the source is. My guess is the wind blows it from the landfill along the bayou at Lockwood.

I know exactly what odor you talking about.  It is sewer gas and comes from the Main sewer line for the north side of the bayou, which runs under Clinton.  The smell mostly just comes from the sewer's man holes about 200ft East of Jensen and, also, seems usually present around the intersection Clinton and Hirsch. 

I live on Sydnor half a block north of Clinton and never sense the smell in the general area.  Its' pretty localized, but sharp.  

I live in the westernmost edge of Eastwood, right where the Harrisburg and East End II rail lines enter BNSF's Milby Yard. I love the neighborhood, but like you I have had issues overcoming the horns. I'm a light sleeper and for whatever reason have never been able to develop the ability to zone out the horns over time like many others I know. 

If you're able to afford it, I found laminated glass window inserts to be a savior. Laminated glass is also called acoustic glass, which is used in music studios, hotels, etc. They didn't fully eliminate horn noise, but in my opinion they reduced it by more than half. 

The window inserts are removable and mounted in the window frame, and the greater distance between the window glass and the window insert, the more noise you've a chance to block. They are indistinguishable once installed, except you lose the ability to put items on the windowsill (assuming you place the insert as far back as possible to create the most distance between it and the window). 

You can also go another route and buy so-called soundproof windows, many of which are made using laminated glass. But they were approximately 10 times more expensive than laminated glass window inserts due to the additional materials related to framing and labor hours. 

The contractor I used was Sun & Sound. Honestly, their customer service was less than I'd like. They rarely responded to emails and returned literally none of my calls. The tech said they'd send an invoice in days, but I only got it more than a month later after emailing many times. I even saw a person comment on their Facebook page that they've emailed, called, and texted but have not yet received a response.

All that being said about their response time, the end result was incredible for me. Took noise interruptions in excess of 125 decibels multiple times per hour, many hours of the day, to between 40 and 60 decibels.

https://sunandsoundwindows.com

If you do inquire about window inserts, I suggest not going with a firm that does acrylic window inserts. A major installer uses them and they're also found at home improvement stores. They do block sound, but many studies have shown laminated glass to be a superior sound blocker. A neighbor went with acrylic window inserts to save money but ultimately regretted the purchase. 

Edited by JClark54
  • Like 1

Apologies for taking this thread further off topic, but here's a decent description of STC ratings and glass types. I can't tell you how much better I enjoy my at-home experience with them than without. 

https://www.dillmeierglass.com/news/stc-ratings-of-glass

It's a window manufacturer and installer, but their information is fairly less salesy than others and provides good information, minimizing the need for the extensive research. I still encourage it, though, so you can make the best decision.

Assuming you've double pane windows, you're getting between 30 and 40 decibels of sound reduction. Since the train horns in the east end have been regularly measured at between 120 and 150 decibels, depending on the engineer, you're taking the brunt of the sound. 1/8" laminated glass panes may carry a STC rating of 40, per the blog post, and that matched what I could find at the university level. So it'll block 40 DBs, but thicker panes may block more.

Sun & Sound purport to use 1/4" panes, and I measured mine at approximately that. I can't say exactly what their STC rating is, but I imagine that my combination of double pane windows and 1/8" laminated glass inserts account for a 70 to 80 DB sound reduction, although that may be more perception than fact since adding panes doesn't mean you can add their respective STC ratings together. 

You'll notice acrylic didn't even make their list. I stuck it out with Sun & Sound despite their horrendous customer service because they offered laminated glass. The others in the area and the DIY ones found in home improvement stores are acrylic. A cursory search of acrylic's STC rating was 20s to 30s, depending on whether you went with 1/8" or 1/4" thickness. 

Edited by JClark54

1 hour ago, JClark54 said:

Apologies for taking this thread further off topic, but here's a decent description of STC ratings and glass types. I can't tell you how much better I enjoy my at-home experience with them than without. 

https://www.dillmeierglass.com/news/stc-ratings-of-glass

It's a window manufacturer and installer, but their information is fairly less salesy than others and provides good information, minimizing the need for the extensive research. I still encourage it, though, so you can make the best decision.

Assuming you've double pane windows, you're getting between 30 and 40 decibels of sound reduction. Since the train horns in the east end have been regularly measured at between 120 and 150 decibels, depending on the engineer, you're taking the brunt of the sound. 1/8" laminated glass panes may carry a STC rating of 40, per the blog post, and that matched what I could find at the university level. So it'll block 40 DBs, but thicker panes may block more.

Sun & Sound purport to use 1/4" panes, and I measured mine at approximately that. I can't say exactly what their STC rating is, but I imagine that my combination of double pane windows and 1/8" laminated glass inserts account for a 70 to 80 DB sound reduction, although that may be more perception than fact since adding panes doesn't mean you can add their respective STC ratings together. 

You'll notice acrylic didn't even make their list. I stuck it out with Sun & Sound despite their horrendous customer service because they offered laminated glass. The others in the area and the DIY ones found in home improvement stores are acrylic. A cursory search of acrylic's STC rating was 20s to 30s, depending on whether you went with 1/8" or 1/4" thickness. 

Thanks for the info. I already dropped $20k on “serenity series” STC47 windows from a local company. Great service, and the windows are beautiful. They cut most sound by 50%+. But nothing can stop these horns as they blow through the exterior walls, front door, back door. I’m still woken up.

It’s still slightly “on topic”. I should’ve asked if the trains horns could deter future homeowners, renters, businesses from the area. Or if nothing will stand in East River’s way. The dream is East River’s influence with a quiet zone being funded and established at some point.

1 hour ago, HOUHOU83 said:

Thanks for the info. I already dropped $20k on “serenity series” STC47 windows from a local company. Great service, and the windows are beautiful. They cut most sound by 50%+. But nothing can stop these horns as they blow through the exterior walls, front door, back door. I’m still woken up.

It’s still slightly “on topic”. I should’ve asked if the trains horns could deter future homeowners, renters, businesses from the area. Or if nothing will stand in East River’s way. The dream is East River’s influence with a quiet zone being funded and established at some point.

Ah, good move. Yes, I agree the horns are annoying loud no matter what.

My understanding is most people are not deterred from buying due to train noise. Whether they can weather them long term is another issue. Eastwood and greater East End sold prices have risen mightily in recent years, even as train traffic has increased. 

https://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Million-dollar-listing-signals-change-in-Eastwood-14939171.php

https://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Eastwood-home-for-sale-at-record-price-13337111.php

6 hours ago, JClark54 said:

My understanding is most people are not deterred from buying due to train noise. Whether they can weather them long term is another issue.

I knew of the train noise when I bought. Doesn't really affect me anymore. Got used to it in months. It's been 7 years. Guess I'm lucky.

• Like 1

The horns don't bother us either, In fact, I like them, but we are several blocks away form the nearest line.  You definitely hear them more after the first cold front blows through with dryer, cooler air.   Then, like clockwork, every year, NextDoor App blows-up, with residents convinced that the horns are a personal attack on them by the conductors.   It's entertaining. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1