Richmond Strip Dying On Richmond Ave.

segovia

They used to have these.  There was an LP model that went where the glove box is.  There was a 45 version that went on the center console.

well, i think i've just been dated (and you too...heh)

His taste in music changed, but it still left other people's ears bleeding.

:lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You sure abuot the radio stations? I still have some of the tapes I would record from the broadcasts.

I remember the 93QZoo and the afternoon jock... I forget his name. And I think you're confusing the guy who would do the zoogerizations with the 104 character. Or perhaps I am wrong... Can anyone shed some light on this?

I never knew Houston's 2600 as THE forebearer in that genre of muzak. I do know there were various DJ's in Chicago that were instrumental in this. The Garage, Paradise Loft, and Heaven were some of the more innovative clubs in Chicago during this period. I should know. I used to hang out with 2 In A Room, DJ Laz, and others.

The onnly thing I could find with Sam Malone's arrival year. Look toward the bottom of the page:

http://texasrighttolife.com/col04.htm

Only thing i found on the burn down date>

http://www.inthe80s.com/clubs2.shtml

And I meant that the music was a forebearer not the club. Sorry.

You know, seeing a link to a list of bars full of drunks and wiggers next to a right to life website just gives me the heebies.

Loved the 80s bar list. My head hurt just seeing the names of all those joints I used to hang in. Some may disagree, but Houston's club peak may well have been that decade. There were so many outrageous places to go to. It certainly was Richmond strip's heyday.

CO:

While I see where you are trying to go with this, I, unfortunately, am not playing along.

Although the current definition of "wigger" may refer to a suburban white kid trying to be a rap afficionado, I was refering to users of X, or other amphetamines, who were known to "wig" or "wig out", as used in this quote about another 80s Houston club:

"Rave on, this club had it all New Wave and used to get so packed, the cops would set up stings on Durham, so they could pull over all the cars that left that way. Everyone there used to wig out till it got shut down and then someone burned it down before it could reopen... "

I do have my prejudices, but they are not the ones you were hoping to nail me on.

• 3 weeks later...
That place burned down in 1989. malone wasn't around until 1992 or so. Plus 93Q was the staion that would broadcast out of that club. Say what you will about the club but it was anything but cheezy. Very few of the songs mixed there were played on radio stations.  It helped propel the industrial dance movement and was a forbearer of modern house and trance.  That club is known the world over dance-music wise.

In fact KRBE was the innovator of the live club broadcast from the Ocean Club in Jan of 88 but 93Q took it to next level with 6400 when it debuted May 29, 1988. It had a serious impact on the Houston nightclub scene for quite some time after. It still amazes me when I listen to my tapes and think that this stuff was actually on the radio once. Will we ever see days like that again? Oh I wish.....

Hey I'm looking for tapes of the Club 6400 broadcasts. If anyone has any please email me. Willing to do trades or whatever. Lets talk.

What sucks is, last year at this time 106.9 was playing all the old 6400 stuff on Saturday nights....but then something happened, either the DJ quit or the program manager changed or some wacky thing because now it's just pop crap from the 80's......seriously, I don't need to hear the remix of "True" by Spandeau Ballet... :rolleyes: nor do I feel my musical repertoire need include Flock of Seagulls unless it is some of their B side stuff..... :lol:

Me too. I have a bag full of tapes in my old room at my parents house. And I got vinyl too. :)

I have vinyl. I want the actual broadcasts of 6400. I have a few nights on tape but I'm looking to expand that collection. Can any of you burn them to CD for me?

What do you want in exchange?

What sucks is, last year at this time 106.9 was playing all the old 6400 stuff on Saturday nights....but then something happened, either the DJ quit or the program manager changed or some wacky thing because now it's just pop crap from the 80's......seriously, I don't need to hear the remix of "True" by Spandeau Ballet...  :rolleyes: nor do I feel my musical repertoire need include Flock of Seagulls unless it is some of their B side stuff.....  :lol:

What I miss on The Point is The Sunday Night Retro Revival Live from the Roxy. They played alot of the 6400 and NRG stuff. That show was awesome. Got lots of tape of that... on VHS.

What I miss on The Point is The Sunday Night Retro Revival Live from the Roxy. They played alot of the 6400 and NRG stuff. That show was awesome. Got lots of tape of that... on VHS.

I miss the Beat on 104. Back in the day, they'd be blasting dance music for the whole city to hear until 6AM. Then Kiss 98.5, 100.7 House Party, and like, 3 other radio stations had their OWN live broadcasts sometime in that time period to compete. Are they still doing any live broadcasts on Saturday Night?

You sure abuot the radio stations? I still have some of the tapes I would record from the broadcasts.

I remember the 93QZoo and the afternoon jock... I forget his name. And I think you're confusing the guy who would do the zoogerizations with the 104 character. Or perhaps I am wrong... Can anyone shed some light on this?

I never knew Houston's 2600 as THE forebearer in that genre of muzak. I do know there were various DJ's in Chicago that were instrumental in this. The Garage, Paradise Loft, and Heaven were some of the more innovative clubs in Chicago during this period. I should know. I used to hang out with 2 In A Room, DJ Laz, and others.

Hey can I get some copies of your 6400 tapes?

I miss the Beat on 104. Back in the day, they'd be blasting dance music for the whole city to hear until 6AM.  Then Kiss 98.5, 100.7 House Party, and like, 3 other radio stations had their OWN live broadcasts sometime in that time period to compete. Are they still doing any live broadcasts on Saturday Night?

Yeah KRBE does the Surf Shack on Richmond and Kuykendal on Saturday nights. Its nothing like the old shows. It was all about new music. This is all mainstream.

I miss the Beat on 104. Back in the day, they'd be blasting dance music for the whole city to hear until 6AM.  Then Kiss 98.5, 100.7 House Party, and like, 3 other radio stations had their OWN live broadcasts sometime in that time period to compete. Are they still doing any live broadcasts on Saturday Night?

I remember 98.5. I used to think it was the greatest but like everything else it was bought by Clearchannel and subsequently went to pop hell just like all their other stations.

Guess Dj Xcess never went to Power Tools! They had the Chicago Wax Trax connection going on.

And NooBeat ang Agreppo started all this, and Antwerp is ground zero IMHO.

And don't forget the power of ZYX records and Technodrome International (TDI). If you see anything on this sub-label, buy it!

But that site is cool. I already sent him an email about trading some tapes.

Thoser were the days. I'll never forget walking into Miller's Outpost at Baybrook and hearing them play Warm Leathette on 104.

I'd love to see that again, becuase hip-hop is killing me.

I remember 98.5. I used to think it was the greatest but like everything else it was bought by Clearchannel and subsequently went to pop hell just like all their other stations.

Kiss 98.5 was great, and one of the few Houston stations you could regularly pick up in my hometown. We used to listen to it all the time until they changed formats.

Kiss 98.5 was great, and one of the few Houston stations you could regularly pick up in my hometown. We used to listen to it all the time until they changed formats.

The name of this thread should be changed. I was hoping for a lively discussion on the Richmond Strip. Oh well - Dance On.

the richmond strip is dead. maybe the thread should be renamed "alternative 80s club music in houston"?

IMHO, the large plots of land along richmond that were once home to restaurants, clubs and ice houses will be a great opportunity for the development of lower price point housing in close proximity to uptown.

as far as ever being what it was, i think not. there is too much interest in entertainment districts elsewhere.

Archived