Richmond Strip Dying On Richmond Ave.

segovia

He said a lot of the dbags are still on Washington and finding other parts of town and that he's excited Midtown is becoming an upscale and long-term place. He thinks Midtown will become an urban version of Rice Village in a couple of years.

I could not agree with you more. I was out on Washington back in 2008, and that was my first and last time. Nothing special and the crowd is way young, mostly college age. It's nice to see some mid 20's to mid 30's crowds with normal conversations.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

The Richmond strip became the Barrio Strip, combined with the "invention" of Downtown (not midtown), which now is off limits to caucasians.

The early "movement" away from the Richmond Strip was towards the Shephard/Greenbriar area (Club 8.0s, etc). There were several places around that area for awhile.... then.... DOWNTOWN... wow that really lasted long. Last time I went downtown, to a company part about 4 years ago, I thought I was transported to Shanghai. Anyways.... now.... it's Midtown and Washington. It goes from The Place to Be, to The Hood and Barrio, back to The Place to Be. That is Houston. I thought Downtown is mostly restaurants and less clubs now.... are all the clubs for idiots still down lower Main St. area, etc.? No clue.. too old for that now.

Before Kingfish Market, it was Tony Roma's. No better baby back ribs have ever seen the light of day in Texas, to this day. I perused that strip from the days of Club 6400 to Fizz to the Yucatan Liquor Stand to Cooters. Up until the "club scene" was ruined permanently with the stupidity of allowing 18 year olds into nightclubs with wristbands, which led to the obnoxious "after hour" bars that opened at 2:00 a.m. and were nothing but Xtasy Factories. I even remember when the law was changed for awhilie and clubs had to close at Midnight (yes, there was a time when 12:00 am was closing time, by law). The Richmond Strip way before Billy Blues, Polly Esther's, City Streets and all the other crap came along. Before Barry's Pizza moved from where Chipotle is now at Richmond/Sage to where it is now at Richmond/Fountainview. And I was there too after the Rockets' Championship. The Strip started decaying soon after that. We will only have memories of that area, no different than memories of all other places that go the way of society.

Oh.. forgot.... let me add when the best "club" of all was in it's hey day - Rick's Cabaret, in the 80s.

Damn.... how old we get. Only thing I wish is that we had cell phones with cameras. Hell, I wish we just had digital cameras back then. Think about it..... we have those memories.... but..... when alzheimer's and dementia set in..... other generations will at least have some pictures and video to "jog" a memory for 30 seconds or so..... my generation won't have crap.

Long live... um... wait.. what was the topic?

Couldn't have said it any better myself!

BTW, MY fave hangout / dance club back in that time was R & R. Not on Richmond of course, but close.

Ah, the memories . . .

• 1 month later...

R & R.... on Alabama.... the Roxy now... in fact I think it's been the Roxy forever... God knows what kind of cannabalistic human underground dwellers hang out at that place now......

R & R....... the best night of all was Tuesday's... Ladies Night.... good lord... women drank free all night......

It was called Cowboy in the 70s/80s..... I remember when it was Confetti..... and Piranaha Room..... and probably 2-3 other names I can't remember because.. well... it was the 80s.... we partied.... when America was still American....

God Love the 80s in Houston.

• 2 months later...

Spiderroller , yer makin me feel really acient ! Hell, I drove a Taxi cab at night in the area . I haven't been in Houston since 1982. I'd love to come back for a visit if just for a week end ..... scrubba

I had a map at the time that referred to it as the "Richmond Avenue Entertainment District" which seemed rather grand for a strip of bars.

There was a place called Safari Club that probably went bankrupt giving away free happy hours.

I had a map at the time that referred to it as the "Richmond Avenue Entertainment District" which seemed rather grand for a strip of bars.

There was a place called Safari Club that probably went bankrupt giving away free happy hours.

from the late 70s through the early 80s there was never a reason to spend more than the price of a happy hour beer to eat from incredible happy hour buffets at practically every restaurant and club from the Richmond Strip through the Galleria. my wife and I probably didn't cook more than 5 or 6 dinners a month at home. the era of the tiny grocery bill.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Yep I remember the old Richmond strip and I remember some of the bars around 1989-1990on Richmond and 610 there was a place called Excess in that large strip center where there was also a World gym that I worked out.  I remember was being 18 and being able to get in there and it was pretty awesome. 

Richmond all around was a cool scene I’m the late 80s and early 90s.  

• The title was changed to Richmond Strip Dying On Richmond Ave.

Archived