Richmond Strip Dying On Richmond Ave.

segovia

It's hard to have a discussion about a dead area. It's dead. Let's bury it and move on.

I don't think it's that simple. Sam's Boat isn't going anywhere, I don't think, and neither are the other bars and clubs in that general area. Maybe what we'll see is more emphasis on bar-type places as opposed to the clubs of yesterday.

I have a hard time believing the merchants that have been there for so long are just going to give up. They've got a captive market, and it seems to me it's just a matter of figuring out what said market wants.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do we actually ACCEPT the thought of Ricmond Strip being abandoned as a club/party area, because I still see a lot of potential for Da Strip with the proper revitalization

I think once more residents are in downtown the less clubs there will be. People will complain about noiseetc... The coolness factor of downtown has to wear off. Whether the club scene will moves back to midtown or The Richmond strip depends on the business owners in the area and what they have to offer club-goers.

• 2 years later...

And we're at that point well over two years later. It's funny because I've seen the death of both the Richmond and Downtown nightlife scene. When my cousins and I tuned 18 back in 2003, we used to cruise the strip when it was still bumper to bumper traffic nad T-Town was still around. Then, in late 2003 early 2004, Downtown exploded and Richmond was dry as a prune.

And we're at that point well over two years later. It's funny because I've seen the death of both the Richmond and Downtown nightlife scene. When my cousins and I tuned 18 back in 2003, we used to cruise the strip when it was still bumper to bumper traffic nad T-Town was still around. Then, in late 2003 early 2004, Downtown exploded and Richmond was dry as a prune.

If you live long enough, you'll see a lot more. I have watched the Westheimer strip die, the Shepherd Plaza die, the Richmond strip die, and now am watching the Downtown strip die. It is a natural progression. A lower rent area attracts the clubs. The clubs become popular. The property owners attempt to cash in by raising rents. The clubs' popularity fade, making the rent too expensive. The clubs close, and move somewhere else where the rent is not as expensive. Cycle repeats.

Those who focus only on their favorite clubs, without looking at the business side of things behind the flashing lights and loud music, miss the entire dynamic of the club scene. There is nothing unique about what is happening in downtown. It is the natural progression, the organic growth of the area. It is neither something to celebrate nor cry over. It is what happens. Downtown will morph to restaurants and bars, and the club scene will recreate itself somewhere else.

I blame both strips dying on the metrorail. :D

I actually credit MetroRail with turning that portion of Main street into something other than a wasteland with a lingering urine soaked odor. I predict similar results along the new lines as well, particularly the University and Uptown lines.

If you live long enough, you'll see a lot more. I have watched the Westheimer strip die, the Shepherd Plaza die, the Richmond strip die, and now am watching the Downtown strip die. It is a natural progression. A lower rent area attracts the clubs. The clubs become popular. The property owners attempt to cash in by raising rents. The clubs' popularity fade, making the rent too expensive. The clubs close, and move somewhere else where the rent is not as expensive. Cycle repeats.

Those who focus only on their favorite clubs, without looking at the business side of things behind the flashing lights and loud music, miss the entire dynamic of the club scene. There is nothing unique about what is happening in downtown. It is the natural progression, the organic growth of the area. It is neither something to celebrate nor cry over. It is what happens. Downtown will morph to restaurants and bars, and the club scene will recreate itself somewhere else.

If the club scene isn't Downtown or Richmond anymore, where is it now?

I was really hoping after the success that was SuperBowl 2004, the city would at least make an attempt to provide a stable entertainment district but I guess being the darling of the country for only a weekend was enough for Houston.

Downtown is definitly going or has gone downhill. I personally know several firefighters at Station 8 downtown and they stay really busy Friday and Saturday night with all the fights, shootings and stabbings in the clubs on Main Street and it is working its way to Midtown. They made a stabbing at Sammy's not too long ago, 4 guys broke a beer bottle and stabbed a guy in the neck because he was gay. Back in 2004 I was in a club downtown standing at the bar, the ground felt wet and it felt like I was stepping on glass. I looked down and I am standing in a pool of blood. Apperantly some guy had a bottle smashed over his head just before I got there. These days I may go downtown for a ball game, but that's about it.

How many fights / stabbings are there in downtown Houston compared to other cities or even other parts of town? I go downtown pretty much every weekend although I usually hang out at more laid back places, I guess. I also frequent the movie theater at Bayou Place. I've never seen anything worse than the odd homeless person asking for change, but then again I don't typically go into dance clubs. The last few weeks I noticed quite a few people walking around compared to other parts of town. That's why I say that downtown might have gone down hill but it's certainly not dead.

Too many comments to read, but Richmond Strip fizzled out by 1990. Everyone fled lower Westheimer to The Strip. Cops started busting everyone, word got out, end of party. That simple.

Now it's Midtown without the drag racing, raids, all-you-can-drink, wet-T-shirt contests. Boring :P

How many fights / stabbings are there in downtown Houston compared to other cities or even other parts of town? I go downtown pretty much every weekend although I usually hang out at more laid back places, I guess. I also frequent the movie theater at Bayou Place. I've never seen anything worse than the odd homeless person asking for change, but then again I don't typically go into dance clubs. The last few weeks I noticed quite a few people walking around compared to other parts of town. That's why I say that downtown might have gone down hill but it's certainly not dead.

Your right i dont think downtown is dead. I also hang out in downtown a lot know. I dont know what it is that attracts me to downtown maybe it's the atmosphere of the place.

Compared to other cities...I don't know...not my point. Everytime someone gets shot, stabbed, or jumped the Station 8 bell rings, and it happens every Friday and Saturday night.

Downtown is not dead. My point is that the bad element that moved in and brought the Richmond Strip down has moved into downtown. Most of the calls they get ARE to the clubs, and you are right, your better off in the pubs and more laid back places. But when it's last call and time to go home, you gotta walk the same sidewalks and go to the same parking lots as the club-goers. I used to go downtown all the time and I have seen plenty of brawls in parking lots and on the sidewalks.

Downtown is not dead, but I'm going somewhere else.

You're saying that somebody gets shot, stabbed, or jumped downtown every Friday / Saturday night?

No, not EVERY night. All I'm saying is my wife is a fire fighter downtown and she sees this stuff first hand, and it happens a lot. There are a lot of really great bars and restaurants downtown, but like any major city, you just need to be careful. Downtown Houston has always been rough, that hasn't changed.

I don't think we have to worry about Downtown ending up like the Richmond Strip. With Minute Maid Park, Toyota Center, Hilton Americas, Metro Rail, George R. Brown, Bayou Place, Aquarium, Jones Hall, etc., I think Downtown Houston will continue to attrack alot of people.

Back to the original subject...Richmond is pretty much dead, unless you are a sex shop, strip club, or "Massage" parlor. I know a few people who still go to Sam's Boat, but that's about it. I am suprised Ruth's Chris hasn't moved. The new Metro Rail will probably give it a little shot in the arm. I am suprised at the number of new townhouse sites under construction in the area west of Sage, east of Fountainview, between Richmond and Westheimer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

So I drove down Richmond the other day and was blown away by how run-down everything looks. What I want to know is when and how this stretch between Hillcroft and Chimney Rock got so popular then sank so fast. I remember going down there after the Rockets won the championship and not being able to move. It was fun and everybody seemed to be cool with eachother.

So how did it go south so quick? Location not being an issue, do you think it will ever be back to its glory days? Sadly when I turned 21 I would go down that way and grab a drink at various bars. It was fun and everyone seemed very much down to earth. Even better I used to go into King Fish Market every now and again for a quick bite..funny because Chris King was a toatal jerk. He was on something back then and had adult braces.

Good times!!

As I recall, the "Richmond Strip" developed a bad reputation, as a hangout for drunk college kids and others. Lots of fights and police were always making arrests for public drinking and drunkeness. Places with that kind of reputation don't last very long.

Mature thinking adults don't go there, and they are the people the restaurants and bars depend on to stay in business over the long haul.

a couple of the clubs on the west end of the Strip toward Hillcroft changed hands and featured Latino entertainment, which was fine at first, but eventually attracted the attention of the gangbangers that fill those neighborhoods south of Richmond to the Gulfton barrio.

the place got dangerous and the yuppie/fratboy clubbing set moved downtown until Mayor Brown tore up all the streets at once...

now it's Washington Avenue's turn. that will last only until the yuppie gaze moves elsewhere - Midtown appears to be next.

now it's Washington Avenue's turn. that will last only until the yuppie gaze moves elsewhere - Midtown appears to be next.

If you are referring to Midtown around Bagby and Gray, it's has a great nightlife. Even on a Wednesday, it was busy.

The Richmond strip became the Barrio Strip, combined with the "invention" of Downtown (not midtown), which now is off limits to caucasians.

The early "movement" away from the Richmond Strip was towards the Shephard/Greenbriar area (Club 8.0s, etc). There were several places around that area for awhile.... then.... DOWNTOWN... wow that really lasted long. Last time I went downtown, to a company part about 4 years ago, I thought I was transported to Shanghai. Anyways.... now.... it's Midtown and Washington. It goes from The Place to Be, to The Hood and Barrio, back to The Place to Be. That is Houston. I thought Downtown is mostly restaurants and less clubs now.... are all the clubs for idiots still down lower Main St. area, etc.? No clue.. too old for that now.

Before Kingfish Market, it was Tony Roma's. No better baby back ribs have ever seen the light of day in Texas, to this day. I perused that strip from the days of Club 6400 to Fizz to the Yucatan Liquor Stand to Cooters. Up until the "club scene" was ruined permanently with the stupidity of allowing 18 year olds into nightclubs with wristbands, which led to the obnoxious "after hour" bars that opened at 2:00 a.m. and were nothing but Xtasy Factories. I even remember when the law was changed for awhilie and clubs had to close at Midnight (yes, there was a time when 12:00 am was closing time, by law). The Richmond Strip way before Billy Blues, Polly Esther's, City Streets and all the other crap came along. Before Barry's Pizza moved from where Chipotle is now at Richmond/Sage to where it is now at Richmond/Fountainview. And I was there too after the Rockets' Championship. The Strip started decaying soon after that. We will only have memories of that area, no different than memories of all other places that go the way of society.

Oh.. forgot.... let me add when the best "club" of all was in it's hey day - Rick's Cabaret, in the 80s.

Damn.... how old we get. Only thing I wish is that we had cell phones with cameras. Hell, I wish we just had digital cameras back then. Think about it..... we have those memories.... but..... when alzheimer's and dementia set in..... other generations will at least have some pictures and video to "jog" a memory for 30 seconds or so..... my generation won't have crap.

Long live... um... wait.. what was the topic?

If you are referring to Midtown around Bagby and Gray, it's has a great nightlife. Even on a Wednesday, it was busy.

true, and there are a couple of other patches of nightlife around the Continental Club and closer to the Museum District.

but it seems like "midtown" has been redefined to include everything north of the Mecom Fountain and south of the Pierce Elevated, east of Bagby and west of Almeda. developers are just waiting for the slow recovery to accelerate into a mini-boom.

I heard a local bar owner say it best about Midtown recently. He said when the "scene" moved on, the dbags and "flighty people" left with it. Now, Midtown has normal regular people from the neighborhood that spend money consistently and regularly. He also said while the scene is coming back from Washington... the crowds are different this time. He said a lot of the dbags are still on Washington and finding other parts of town and that he's excited Midtown is becoming an upscale and long-term place. He thinks Midtown will become an urban version of Rice Village in a couple of years.

Archived