Texas A&M University's Kyle Field Developments

Nate99

The gravitational pull of a multi-hundred million dollar project in a ~230K population area must spawn some wierd economics.

One wonders if some of wherewithal devoted to Baylor's stadium might divert south over the next year now that it is mostly complete. 

That's true. Although you figure that at various times in the past ten years there have been $200 to $300 or more under construction at one time on campus, as when you had the Life Sciences Center ($125 million) underway at the same time as the ETED building (???), the Liberal Arts building ($35 mil?), one of the football center construction/expansions, and whatever else might have been going on at the time. This is surely the biggest project the town has seen, but it's not like they haven't seen anything like it.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's true. Although you figure that at various times in the past ten years there have been $200 to $300 or more under construction at one time on campus, as when you had the Life Sciences Center ($125 million) underway at the same time as the ETED building (???), the Liberal Arts building ($35 mil?), one of the football center construction/expansions, and whatever else might have been going on at the time. This is surely the biggest project the town has seen, but it's not like they haven't seen anything like it.

I can't remember a day while I was at A&M for about 4 years when I didn't hear the sound of jackhammers and construction.

Very true, though the time pressure/incentives on this build have to be more than a little different than the large scale continual construction that seems to be going on around the campus. This is spending $450 million, the vast majority of which has to be done in two eight month chunks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Eww, I can still see the seams for the facade they put up. How tacky.

this is all i can think of any time i see pictures of the renovated stadium.. its a shame they had to go with pre fab construction materials and didnt have time to build a quality brick work stadium like Baylor. the end result looks cheap.

this is all i can think of any time i see pictures of the renovated stadium.. its a shame they had to go with pre fab construction materials and didnt have time to build a quality brick work stadium like Baylor. the end result looks cheap.

Ok I don't understand this! Sure I wanted something more contemporary (I'm sure others did too), and sure it would have been nice if it wasn't "prefabricated panels", but what they came up with is pretty ingenious actually. Not to mention if this wasn't prefabricated then this project would have taken another year to complete with a possible whole year of football removed from the stadium.

I also don't understand this notion that "pre-fab" equals laziness or cheap. If done incorrectly it can be so, but almost every project today is done with some prefab. I mean all of what is on your construction site today is going to be "pre-fab". It's like peoples argument about "processed food" and "organic food". It's a bit silly.

Also another myth about the seams that you see. You would see the same seams on any type of masonry project. They are called control joints and they are essential in this type of wall construction. You see them on any brick wall! It's more noticable due to the scale a shear vertical nature of the towers. where most of the brick used in Baylors stadium is keep relatively lower to the ground. Furthermore lets not have a circlejerk about Baylors stadium (a stadium I really like btw...no seriously its very attractive), but lets not apply that situation to here. They are completely different buildings both built in entirely different circumstances. One is a renovation and the other is a completely new building. With a completely new building you can do different things than with a renovation. Renovation also implies that you are "redoing" parts or the whole of a building while keeping it's central integrity which is what they did. Baylor, yes, does have brick in it's stadium but it's not used in a monumental facade type way as it is being used at Kyle Field. I mean Kyle Field is almost all Brick from top to bottom while Baylor it's not. It only goes up to about halfway and then transitions into other materials. It's also not the main feature of the building while the brick facade is for Kyle Field and that's because it's suppose to feel more traditional while Baylor is more contemporary.

Sorry for the rant, but I couldn't let this get any further from the truth than where it was going. If you don't like it aesthetically then that's perfectly ok! I would rather have something different, but when you build a stadium for $450 million dollars....they aren't building it on the cheap -.- They are building it for the speed of construction and that means that certain ways of doing things aren't going to be optimal. One last thing....it's the same kind of brick. I bet my salary that both projects are using King Brick or some sort of Modular Brick, but it's all the same.

FYI.. Construction cams at Kyle Field came back live this week.

http://kylefield.com/constructioncams

example of Baylor's quality brick work seen here...

BwZ6xuiIUAAGVun.jpg

First deck was torn down and replaced almost immediately, at least east side.

It is fascinating to watch. Once they had the foundations poured, they had it done in about a week.

Should be a pretty dramatic implosion on the 21st. Big slabs of stuff falling a long way. I'm intrested to see how the press box holds up.

• 2 weeks later...

It was so sad to watch! I was tearing up and everything. I was watching it from my office and to make it even more epic I was playing The Ecstasy of Gold! Then as it fell I was playing From Whom the Bell Tolls lol. It certainly went out with a bang that's for sure :)

I was watching it from my office and to make it even more epic I was playing The Ecstasy of Gold! 

:lol:

I sense a great need for a YouTube supercut of the demo footage from all available angles, with the soundtrack adjusted appropriately. How about it, "Sergio"?  ;)  

It was so sad to watch!

It does have a gutteral impact, but watching it being dismantled and then blowed the F up, it struck me that it was indeed just a bunch of concrete without a lot in the way of redeeming qualities aesthetically (apart from the obscured first deck arches) or functionally.

Aesthetics will be a matter of opinion, but at least the function will be unquestionably improved.

Hopefully the defense follows suit.

Archived