Those words that drive you mad

Subdude

• 2 weeks later...

Consulant words:

30,000 foot view

deliverable

synergy

The current favorite in consulting-ese seems to be "robust". Yesterday I saw a presentation where they used "delivering robust solutions" at least twice, and "robust" again a couple of times more.

Another annoying phrase that, along with "iconic", seems to be suddenly popular among those who wish to seen as having Profound Thoughts, is "game-changer". Where did that come from?

The current favorite in consulting-ese seems to be "robust". Yesterday I saw a presentation where they used "delivering robust solutions" at least twice, and "robust" again a couple of times more.

Another annoying phrase that, along with "iconic", seems to be suddenly popular among those who wish to seen as having Profound Thoughts, is "game-changer". Where did that come from?

That word right there. Waaaay over-used.

• Any declaratory statement turned into a malformed question by adding, "no?"
  • Texas only: "Do wuuuut?"
  • "Supposively" -- It's "supposedly," you retard.
  • "Amazing." Mostly used by women with poor vocabularies.

I second the nomination for "solutions." It's meaningless. I had a salesman once try to sell me an "office solution." I didn't have an office problem. It turned out he was pushing copy machines.

• Any declaratory statement turned into a malformed question by adding, "no?"
  • Texas only: "Do wuuuut?"
  • "Supposively" -- It's "supposedly," you retard.
  • "Amazing." Mostly used by women with poor vocabularies.

I second the nomination for "solutions." It's meaningless. I had a salesman once try to sell me an "office solution." I didn't have an office problem. It turned out he was pushing copy machines.

Betcha it was "scalable".

At the risk of offending many, I am sick of hearing the word "hero" or "heroes" to describe every person who has a hard job...usually in government...who we don't want to pay adequately, but don't want to quit, either. Examples are police, firefighters and the military. A hero is one who displays exceptional courage or ability in the face of imminent and grave danger. There is no imminent danger at the local recruiting office, nor at boot camp. By labeling every soldier a hero, the heroic deeds of those who do actually commit an exceptional act are diminished. Likewise, sitting at the firehouse watching American Idol is not heroic. Entering a burning building to save an unconscious child is. Working traffic duty or patrolling the neighborhood is not heroic. Shielding the victim from the bank robber firing his gun is.

Feel free to take all of this out of context, while labeling me an ungrateful communist. ;)

At the risk of offending many, I am sick of hearing the word "hero" or "heroes" to describe every person who has a hard job...usually in government...who we don't want to pay adequately, but don't want to quit, either. Examples are police, firefighters and the military. A hero is one who displays exceptional courage or ability in the face of imminent and grave danger. There is no imminent danger at the local recruiting office, nor at boot camp. By labeling every soldier a hero, the heroic deeds of those who do actually commit an exceptional act are diminished. Likewise, sitting at the firehouse watching American Idol is not heroic. Entering a burning building to save an unconscious child is. Working traffic duty or patrolling the neighborhood is not heroic. Shielding the victim from the bank robber firing his gun is.

Feel free to take all of this out of context, while labeling me an ungrateful communist. ;)

No! That's great! I have a friend who goes ballistic over over-use of "heroes". The breaking point was some tv show that referred to long-distance truckers as "American heroes".

"LOL's" and all versions of it, especially in text messages or in Facebook posts.

I plead Guilty on that charge. :blush:

Couldn't agree more. Nothing heroic about a job your trained and paid to do. I doubt there are any police, firefighters or soldiers that really consider themselves heroes even though the media is always trying to slap that label on them. Real heroes are the ones that sacrifice themselves for nothing more than to help someone else.

To quote (almost) the movie Incredibles "If everybody is a hero, than nobody is a hero."

But can we still call you an ungrateful communist? Just for kicks.

To quote (almost) the movie Incredibles "If everybody is a hero, than nobody is a hero."

But can we still call you an ungrateful communist? Just for kicks.

It's a free country.

(another annoying saying)

Actually, I think it would be hard to be an anarchist and a communist at the same time, but I am certainly ungrateful.

you ungrateful commie.

the foam finger guy is a real American Hero, as well as the bowling shoe giver outer guy, and the jelly donut filler guy.

oh, and my job is a 'solution provider' I just hope the problem provider doesn't lose his job, or mine will be in jeopardy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Cassidy Turley was just named the leasing agent for the Allen Center, the first-time owner Brookfield has gone third-party in Houston (it's still leasing the rest of its 8M SF CBD portfolio). It's a 3.1M SF assignment across three buildings. Although Brookfield hasn't released details yet, we know a redevelopment of the iconic complex is in the works, and the firm has discussed breaking ground on a fourth Class-A tower at some point.

Replying here so as not to hijack the 5 Allen Center Topic.

Give me a break!  The Allen Center is not "iconic"!  Talk about a word getting over-used to the point where it no longer has any actual meaning.  

Any derogatory term thrown at people with opposing political viewpoints:

"dumbocrat"

"libtard"

"repukelican"

"tea baggers"

et cetera...

That, and I loathe the term "Liberal Democrat" when used to unnecessarily label the person as liberal - though later word does that by itself.  I understand why people say that, it is just superfluous.

I also find myself very unsettled at the idea that people equate being liberal - or more correctly - not being as conservative as themselves as being "communist" or "fascist"  I hate that.

And the use of the word "retard" is offensive in every use except to describe how to slow or stop and advance of some object.  The correct term today for someone who is MR is now "ID" or intellectually disabled.  This coming from the fact that there are plenty of people who are MR or ID who absolutely understand their condition and can absolutely understand people using it in a hurtful way.

I also find myself very unsettled at the idea that people equate being liberal - or more correctly - not being as conservative as themselves as being "communist" or "fascist"  I hate that.

That's mostly due to ignorance of the history and meaning of various political terms.  My favorite is when folks call each other a Nazi.

Archived