Houston In The 1940s

57Tbird

I was thinking it looks like a paper clip, but too many of the areas look real. Be interesting to know which agency took these photos. It would be nice if Google somehow did this with all the USDA photos that were taken from time to time.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking it looks like a paper clip, but too many of the areas look real. Be interesting to know which agency took these photos. It would be nice if Google somehow did this with all the USDA photos that were taken from time to time.

I thought about a paper clip but there isn't a seam nearby or anything obvious where two negatives or photos were joined. It is obvious on other parts of the map.

Maybe it IS just a blotch, but when you zoom in, it sure does look like it somehow fits in with its surroundings.

Looking around Baytown in the 1944 shot you can see the old bridge (Causeway Drive) that ran from the southern Goose Creek field to Hogg Island. The island itself is not covered but at that time there was supposedly a resort there. The 1978 shot has some visible remnants, though. Today only the pilings and a few sections of road deck remain of that causeway.

Looking around Baytown in the 1944 shot you can see the old bridge (Causeway Drive) that ran from the southern Goose Creek field to Hogg Island. The island itself is not covered but at that time there was supposedly a resort there. The 1978 shot has some visible remnants, though. Today only the pilings and a few sections of road deck remain of that causeway.

It's interesting to see the small islands that are no longer there, Kemah had a small piece of land north of Jimmie Walkers (Landry's) and the Brownwood subdivision had a small protective peninsula that is gone now, think it was referred to as Goat Island on an old map.

According to my Dad, who grew up in Baytown (Pelly), the causeway ran to Hogg Island, and then there was a ferry to Morgan's Point. That was the only way across the water at the time, as the tunnel had not been built. I'll have to ask about a resort, but gien that the bay was full of oil wells at the time, it wouldn't have been much of a resort.

According to my Dad, who grew up in Baytown (Pelly), the causeway ran to Hogg Island, and then there was a ferry to Morgan's Point. That was the only way across the water at the time, as the tunnel had not been built. I'll have to ask about a resort, but gien that the bay was full of oil wells at the time, it wouldn't have been much of a resort.

I always heard there was a beach and a small store or cafe.

My impression was that this predated the oil wells in the bay. If you look at the 1944 image you'll see that there's actually not very many out there. At that time they were concentrated up in Goose Creek.

My impression was that this predated the oil wells in the bay. If you look at the 1944 image you'll see that there's actually not very many out there. At that time they were concentrated up in Goose Creek.

I talked to my Dad some more. The derricks in the bay blew down in the 1943 hurricane. There was a small beach on Hogg Island near the ferry landing. My Dad watched one of his friends drown there by being sucked into a passing ship's wake. He doesn't remember any cafe's on hte island.

Now they've updated it with 1953 Houston... wondering where Google is getting all of these historic aerials from.

They look like USDA aerials photos I've seen elsewhere. The more Google make available, the less I have to spend getting my own copies.

These 1953 aerials are wonderful. I always thought my residence was built around 1956, but I see it sitting there on the 1953 aerial view.

Is there any way to set the Historical Imagery in Google Earth so that it shows ONLY one specific year?

It is no problem when looking at 1944 but when you move up to 1953, it still shows 1944 at the same time in the areas where (i guess) they dont have a 1953 update.

The only way to tell is the date in the bottom left.

(Or maybe my Google Earth is messed up?)

Is there any way to set the Historical Imagery in Google Earth so that it shows ONLY one specific year?

It is no problem when looking at 1944 but when you move up to 1953, it still shows 1944 at the same time in the areas where (i guess) they dont have a 1953 update.

The only way to tell is the date in the bottom left.

(Or maybe my Google Earth is messed up?)

It's that way for me as well, so it's not your GE install.

• 7 months later...

Hwy35-ReveilleArea-1.jpg

I've always wondered about these white squares...does anyone know what they were? Major intersection (green) Park Place & Hwy 35 (Reveille), other minor streets are Moline, Edna, Juniper.

Wonder if it had anything to do with temporary housing or even tents.The road Reveille did lead to the airport. GoogleEarth Map - 1944. Maybe it's just some chicken coops or orchards? haha...I'm making up stuff, now.

I've always wondered about these white squares...does anyone know what they were? Major intersection (green) Park Place & Hwy 35 (Reveille), other minor streets are Moline, Edna, Juniper.

Wonder if it had anything to do with temporary housing or even tents.The road Reveille did lead to the airport. GoogleEarth Map - 1944. Maybe it's just some chicken coops or orchards? haha...I'm making up stuff, now.

maybe i don't understand your question but these all look like partially constructed houses in the santa rosa subdivision.

the ones with small squares along park place might be foundation pads for houses that will be built.

if i remember right, from my research, the first part of santa rosa was built in 1943 and then the rest didn't come until after the war in about 47 or 48.

maybe i don't understand your question but these all look like partially constructed houses in the santa rosa subdivision.

the ones with small squares along park place might be foundation pads for houses that will be built.

if i remember right, from my research, the first part of santa rosa was built in 1943 and then the rest didn't come until after the war in about 47 or 48.

I'm thinking that they may have been temporary military housing, in later aerial photos you can tell that they were replaced with another type of housing. I thought, as you have, that the specks looked like house foundations blocks, from bldgs. that were already removed.

I thought that the little white houses (if that's what they were) maybe were linked to the airport, in some way, maybe the airforce.

The street name Reveille leads me to think this, as well.

Here is a link with the types of housing that may have been similar. Again, just an idea. I like to wonder.

http://www.sloanegal...on_and_camp.htm

if you arrow to the right, in the small pictures, you can see one picture of the boys & barrack-looking housing. This is what I think was sitting there. They would have been easy to move.

• 4 months later...

I am currently the property manager of a privately owned dormatory located at Capitol St. & Delano St., right next to the railroad tracks. My landlord had told me that when he bought the house in the 80's that an older man had told him that the original owner was a woman who had been providing private services for the gentlememn of the area. The house is set up as such and the interior has never been modified. However i have been doing small restorations like replacing sinks, last night i decided to take out my medicine cabinet and put in a new one. Upon doing so i found some writing behind the cabinet on the ship-lap which said "Built by R.W. Abbott Aug 21 1940 Jan 2 1941" I have been looking for information on the house and when it may have been built and who owned it more than anything. So now i feel this is my biggest break yet. I have contacted the Heritage Society and they referred me over to the Central Houston Library to investigate further which i will be doing this coming Monday.

And for the record I am a third generation houstonian and yes my last name is the same family which the street is named after. Its on my dad's side and he had a sister and brother who's wife never had kids. So i believe im the last of my name, i know my grandfather on that side had a couple brothers but i haven't looked into that side of the family other than the origin of the name. WW2 Pilot who's plane went down off the coast of Florida in a Training Exercise. Used to be Richmond Rd. and Poor Farm Rd. - I think Bissonnet was a vast improvement. So if anyone has any information or ideas, or even just interested i will be happy to chat with ya. Thanks guys.

post-10604-0-45390000-1328902456_thumb.j

Thank you for taking the time to share your story and picture. Stories like yours are why I read the HAIF. I've heard of messages left by people in old houses, before. I think you will find the Texas Room of the Julia Ideson Bldg. - Houston Public Library a good place to start your research. They are very helpful, I know from my own historical hunting expeditions.

• 1 month later...

After 72 years, the 1940 census records are now available.You can look into it at this website. It doesn't have name listings for location purposes, but if you know the address or area (maps are available), you can find the enumeration district (ED) and look through all the images to find your address with its inhabitants' names listed. It's very interesting and extremely handy for anyone doing genealogical research. And it's free.

For genealogical purposes, I don't find it all that useful. You'd have to go back a lot further than 1940 to reveal something to me that I don't already know about who's who on the family tree. However, I found it interesting from a journey-back-in-time perspective. For instance, I looked up my address and found that in 1940, my tiny house was occupied by five people--man, wife, and three school-aged children. He sold paint for a living.

It's interesting to see glimpses of people's lives, particularly things that just don't exist anymore--like folks sharing their home with boarders, or indicating a vocation like "cotton oil salesman".

I've spent some time at the site and nearly every page has something that brings a "well, lookie there" reaction, but it's so time consuming to page through that I'm glad I'm not depending on it for information.

You're probably right on the genealogy research time-frame. If you can access the Ancestry.com website, their 1940 census application is much faster than the government website I noted. You can pick a certain page, if desired, without having to leaf through the whole document to get to it.

• 2 weeks later...

ancestry.com seems to be behind the govt website.......they are now linked to the same search engine....but their focus is still in the wrong direction. i was able to to find my grandparents on both sides including their youngest children who happen to be my parents.

• 1 month later...

EAST END [LAWNDALE/WAYSIDE] 1940 REDO 1 1/2 BRICK CAPE COD DESIGN ORIGINAL DESIGN, WIRING & PLUMBING IN NEED OF NEW OWNER WHO APPRECIATES IT'S GREAT POTENTIAL & CARRY IT INTO THE FUTURE OF THE HISTORIC EAST END. 4 BEDROOMS, 1 1/2 BATHS [COULD ADD SHOWER TO HALF BATH] CENTRAL STAIRWAY WITH NICE LANDING IN DORMER WINDOW. 3 DORMER WINDOWS lots of natural light. LARGE FRONT PORCH FACING SOUTH BREEZES. ORIGINAL WINDOWS. NEW ROOF AFTER HURRICANE IKE & WAS LEVELED WITH 19 PIERS IN 2001. Asking $65,000 cash. A jewel in the rough for the DIY old-house lover with creative abilities who appreciates a challenge. Yard has ample room for expansion, garage apt., garden or pool on this corner lot. Amazing convenient location that is Minutes to downtown, freeway, med ctr, Gulf Gate, new Wal-Mart, rail line, Universitie, sports facilities, port, 610 & Hobby airport. Easy commute to court house. Present owners retiring. HCAD: 1485 sq ft improvements/land: 6300+ taxesrents@aol.com

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Houston In The 1940s

Archived