Houston In The 1840s

editor

We were in London's newspaper back then?

Yes we were in London's newspaper in the 1840s because the Republic of Texas was an independent nation, and had an embassy in London.

In fact, there was a Texas Embassy in both London and Paris. The London Embassy was the office of Texan diplomats in Britain between 1836 and 1845, and it helped create a strong bond between the British Empire and the new North American nation.

When Texas sought to join the United States in 1845, the British Empire supported keeping it independent. Texas was a tactical ally of Britain acting as a counterweight to America. However, Texas was made a state in 1845 and the embassy was closed.

The building later served as the headquarters of the White Star Line. (owners of the RMS Titanic). Since 1996, the building has housed the Texas Embassy Cantina, a popular Tex-Mex restaurant. It's just a short walk from Trafalgar Square.

Check it out. http://www.texasembassy.com/texasmain.htm

The Texas Embassy in Paris was at 1 Place Vendome, where there is today a plaque testifying to its authenticity.

By the way, that fanciful picture of Houston was one of a number of such pictures the Allen brothers circulated in advertisements all over the country to lure people and businesses to Houston. They made it look a lot better than it was. The Greater Houston Partnership is still doing the same thing.

Since 1996, the building has housed the Texas Embassy Cantina, a popular Tex-Mex restaurant. It's just a short walk from Trafalgar Square.

Not a bad restaurant. When I went there, I ordered some fajitas. Apparently, the German couple sitting next to me had never seen sizzling fajitas before.

Yes we were in London's newspaper in the 1840s because the Republic of Texas was an independent nation, and had an embassy in London.

In fact, there was a Texas Embassy in both London and Paris. The London Embassy was the office of Texan diplomats in Britain between 1836 and 1845, and it helped create a strong bond between the British Empire and the new North American nation.

When Texas sought to join the United States in 1845, the British Empire supported keeping it independent. Texas was a tactical ally of Britain acting as a counterweight to America. However, Texas was made a state in 1845 and the embassy was closed.

The building later served as the headquarters of the White Star Line. (owners of the RMS Titanic). Since 1996, the building has housed the Texas Embassy Cantina, a popular Tex-Mex restaurant. It's just a short walk from Trafalgar Square.

The Texas Embassy in Paris was at 1 Place Vendome, where there is today a plaque testifying to its authenticity.

By the way, that fanciful picture of Houston was one of a number of such pictures the Allen brothers circulated in advertisements all over the country to lure people and businesses to Houston. They made it look a lot better than it was. The Greater Houston Partnership is still doing the same thing.

...and the building which housed the French Legation still exists in Austin from when Texas was a Republic.

• 2 weeks later...

ACTUALLY...

The building in London that was the Texas Embassy is currently the Berry Brothers wine store on St James Street. There's still a plaque there. The Texas Embassy restaurant is not far from there but not the original location of the Embassy. Check out the link: http://www.texasembassy.com/texasmain.htm

Anyway, I just moved back from London to Dallas and thought I would point this out :)

texas3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did not know that. I took these pics last Aug(sorry bout the size)

P1010034-1.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010037.jpg

The food was alright.....I forget what I had though

EDIT: I just read the menue cover, It says the building where the Texas Embassy was a few blocks away

I used to live around the corner from the Texas Embassy, and where'd I go for a hit of Tex Mex. It was ok (about as good as Tex Mex as I found in DC when I lived there), but the ambiance was what sold it. I could almost feel like I was back at home (until you looked up and saw the TVs showing soccer, or the waiter asked if you wanted a margarita in a British accent).

I've walked past that building a dozen times and never knew it had a Texas connection.

I used to live around the corner from the Texas Embassy, and where'd I go for a hit of Tex Mex. It was ok (about as good as Tex Mex as I found in DC when I lived there), but the ambiance was what sold it. I could almost feel like I was back at home (until you looked up and saw the TVs showing soccer, or the waiter asked if you wanted a margarita in a British accent).

True, or until you see one of these right outside your window :D

P1010039.jpg

• The title was changed to City Of Houston - The Capitol Of Texas
  • The title was changed to Houston In The 1840s

Archived