Houston In The 1940s

57Tbird

Professional abatement would be quite pricey (though for one wall, maybe not too too bad).

If you do it yourself the supplies don't cost too much but it is a hassle sealing off the area and the material once it is removed.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh......I have a 1940's pillbox here in the Crestview area of Austin. Still have the asbestos ceiling squares and asbestos siding. Doesn't seem to be a problem, no particles flying around to breathe in or anything. You should be fine.

Here's a thread documenting my kitchen remodel, including ripping out and cutting old drywall. It has been 3 years now and I haven't died yet. If I do, I'll edit this post.

Kitchen remodel

I don't mean for this to sound bad (though it probably will), but if you are terrified of everything you touch and breath killing you, then do-it-yourself remodels are probably not for you. I breathed that drywall dust, slept in my house after the cabinets were primed (the dog got to sleep with a friend), cut and scratched myself, pulled a dozen splinters out of my hands, and countless other injuries and ailments. After all that, I'm still here. Even today, I am looking at 10-12 fireant bites on my hands from the sod that I put in my yard last weekend. It is going to happen, no matter the amount of prep and research. Keep small children and small animals away from the dust and paint fumes, and either tough it out or have someone else do it.

If you can overcome your fears of everything in your house killing you, and if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, DIY remodels can be most rewarding. I hope you decide to do it yourself, but if you chicken out, you won't be the first. Good luck, whichever route you choose.

Yeah, wall removal (if it contains asbestos) may not be an option then.

I don't think the OP's concerns are outlandish - cutting the board (dry) would create dust and if it's asbestos they could potentially breathe bunches of it if they don't take the necessary precautions. I wouldn't want even the smallest risk of mesothelioma and nasty pleural issues cropping up decades from now...

• 1 year later...

I'm sure everyone has seen the 1978 pics of Houston on Google Earth, but has anyone else seen the new 1944 imagery? O_O Simply amazing. The amount of farm land everywhere is something! The Galleria... nada. Pierce elevated doesnt even exist.

Anyone else awed by 1944 Houston?

I'm sure everyone has seen the 1978 pics of Houston on Google Earth, but has anyone else seen the new 1944 imagery? O_O Simply amazing. The amount of farm land everywhere is something! The Galleria... nada. Pierce elevated doesnt even exist.

Anyone else awed by 1944 Houston?

Not sure that I have seen it - can you provide a link?

I noticed today that Google Earth has expanded their time lapse feature to include some aerial images of Houston taken in December 1944. Most parts of the city are included, but it appears that a portion of the East End is missing.

It is interesting to note how much the city has changed since the 1940s. Many neighborhoods appeared to be cut off from the rest of the city before the era of freeways and cross-town thoroughfares. Bayous and creeks appeared to be more prevalent, and these must have played a large role in the perceived isolation of some areas.

Right. It's not actually pics on the web. Guess I should have been more specific that it's aerials on Google Earth. There's basically nothing except for Hobby and downtown Houston. Not interstates... no Texas Medical Center... UH is only three buildings. Rice is a few buildings. It's quite remarkable.

My subdivision(Timebrgrove Manor) is still trees, and White Oak Bayou hasn't been straightened and channelized. In Baytown, the development of Goose Creek oil field is very clear, and the area my Dad grew up in near there is very different than it is today. Hopefully, we will get some aerials on the area around Bloomington, so I can try to find the exact location of the Humble Camp where my Mom lived.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was able to answer some questions I've long had, the exact position of the entrance arches to Meadowbrook Subdivision, and the exact location of the golf course which sat north of Downtown, east of Heights. The information just keeps getting better.

Ehhh...Google Earth is super unstable on my machine - it keeps blipping out when it gets to eye altitude ~350 miles :(

*edit - rebooted to Windows, updated to the latest version of Google Earth, and now have endless hours of map gawking awaiting...

I found it pretty cool that the site of the WalMart on Yale looks now just like it did in 1944. In the interim, an entire business was built and destroyed. Using the slide to change the years quickly is great.

Google Earth has now added imagery from 1944 in Houston. Granted, there are some dead patches but the quality is a lot better than the 1978 imagery. Railroads exist of which there is no trace now.

US-59? Doesn't exist.

Inner loop Houston? What inner loop?

What trees of West University Park? Hardly a tree there!

Cypress? That farm community out of town on 290?

"Katy Freeway"? What, do you mean to say that Highway 90 is going to have ten times the lanes it does now?

Check it out today!

One of the types of places that stand out to me are the untreed apartments (most belonging to the HHA) like Kelly Village, Irvington Village, Allen Parkway Village, Wilshire Village, Cuney Homes, and River Oaks Gardens..

There's also the old Hydril plant (Tenaris now) off of McCarty just south of Wallisville with a painted rooftop..

One of the types of places that stand out to me are the untreed apartments (most belonging to the HHA) like Kelly Village, Irvington Village, Allen Parkway Village, Wilshire Village, Cuney Homes, and River Oaks Gardens..

There's also the old Hydril plant (Tenaris now) off of McCarty just south of Wallisville with a painted rooftop..

The military homes at Sam Houston Gardens are also interesting to see (south side of Meadowbrook subdivision). What struck me about Ellington Field was the sheer number of military aircraft present, impressive. I grew up watching the large old white Ellington barracks deteriorate, then slowly disappear. There were quite a few of them, as seen in the maps.

I was reading an older article on the Cuney & Allen Parkway rehabilitation projects in the Cite archives yesterday. Along with mentions of asbestos and lead paint removal, they talked of how well-built the apartment homes were,originally. One collaborative architectural priority was to leave green space, at the sacrifice of convenient parking.

I continue to enjoy these maps.

I was surprised to find a railroad connecting Katy to Hockley. I knew there was a spur connecting to what I read was a quarry(?) but the other connecting railroad had been abandoned years before it.

Even more interesting, it's the exact same orientation as the connector rail between the MKT and the same railroad in the Heights area, where the Walmart is to be going in.

I noticed that when I move the slide rule back to 1944 that some modern buildings still show up. For example, at the corner of Cullen and what is now the Gulf Freeway, the Catholic Charismatic Church and Finger Furniture shows up (they look like overlays). Any way to get rid of these buildings?

I noticed that when I move the slide rule back to 1944 that some modern buildings still show up. For example, at the corner of Cullen and what is now the Gulf Freeway, the Catholic Charismatic Church and Finger Furniture shows up (they look like overlays). Any way to get rid of these buildings?

I get the baseball stadium where Fingers is, and an oval track and random buildings where the church is

post-3362-0-18144600-1297224660_thumb.jp

I ran across this area around Grant and Jackson.

Do you think that is flooding??

I did see a report of flooding on Jan 2, 1944 in Historical Records.

Notice the two gully looking lines that run up to around Bomar/Hopkins.

There seems to be other signs of flooding around town but none really stand out like this area.

Maybe it was a low spot in the staging/construction area for the removal of the rail line along Grant?

(Not sure when it was taken out along that stretch)

Anyone have any other ideas?

Am I missing something obvious?

35a93s0.jpg

I ran across this area around Grant and Jackson.

Do you think that is flooding??

I did see a report of flooding on Jan 2, 1944 in Historical Records.

Notice the two gully looking lines that run up to around Bomar/Hopkins.

There seems to be other signs of flooding around town but none really stand out like this area.

Maybe it was a low spot in the staging/construction area for the removal of the rail line along Grant?

(Not sure when it was taken out along that stretch)

Anyone have any other ideas?

Am I missing something obvious?

35a93s0.jpg

Looks to me like it may be a blotch on the original, like maybe it was torn or somebody spilled something on it. They didn't have digital media back then.

Archived