Vintage Park Shopping Village Developments

mrfootball

• 1 month later...

Stopped by Vinter Center this past Friday, Mia Bella was pretty crowded. Peli Peli looks great and is scheduled to open 4/13/09. They are having happy hour all this week as a training process, I believe. Looking forward to trying the food.

Does anyone know how their first Movie in the Park night went? They're planning on doing this once a month, and hopefully it will encourage more activity at this property.

I know the car show last month was a mad house! The few businesses that were open at the time really cleaned up that day!

Peli Peli looks great and is scheduled to open 4/13/09. They are having happy hour all this week as a training process, I believe. Looking forward to trying the food.

Peli Peli - You'd think for a restaurant opening in a matter of days the guy could put together a little more informative website... There's nothing on it except for the logo and it's been that way for probably a year.

Peli Peli - You'd think for a restaurant opening in a matter of days the guy could put together a little more informative website... There's nothing on it except for the logo and it's been that way for probably a year.

Yeah, the website doesn't have any information yet. When I stopped by for happy hour, I picked up a togo menu and spoke to one of the owners and found them on facebook. Some information here:

PELI PELI TO INTRODUCE A NEW DINING EXPERIENCE IN HOUSTON

April 8, 2009 - Peli Peli, the much-anticipated & innovative restaurant concept offering its "Flame Pepper Fusion" cuisine, will officially open its doors on Monday, April 13, 2009 at 11:00am.

Peli Peli is a new, upscale casual restaurant located at the Vintage Park shopping center in North Houston (Hwy 249 & Louetta). Guests are invited to dine under Peli Peli's 30-foot tall, one-of-a-kind Acacia Tree and illuminated sky while enjoying live jazz, avant-garde architecture, a spacious dining area, a Sunday brunch, full bar & lounge, an intimate private dining room and an outdoor patio facing the Piazza.

Peli Peli's menu will feature its signature Flame Pepper Chicken which is marinated in guava, grilled over Applewood smoke and served with a variety of dipping sauces ranging from sweet to spicy. In addition to a mix of traditional American and European favorites, Peli Peli's menu includes exotic fare inspired by Chef Paul Friedman's experiences in South Africa, Europe and the United States.

Peli Peli is Chef Paul Friedman's dream concept and presents a fresh, new dining experience by combining his signature Flame Pepper chicken recipe, as well as a menu made up of family recipes and personal favorites gleaned from his experiences around the world, with a line of unique dipping sauces that include sweet specials such as Passion Fruit and Mango, original favorites such as Citrus Lemon Butter and Red Wine BBQ, and of course, signature hot sauces such as the Spicy Peli Peli.

In addition to this amazing blend of innovative cuisine, guests entering Peli Peli will embark on a journey that will capture their heart, soul and belly and discover an extraordinary atmosphere of live music, extravagant design and attentive staff.

For more information about Peli Peli, a personal tour of Peli Peli or to make a reservation for lunch or dinner, please contact Thomas P. Nguyen at 832-259-2448 or visit www.pelipeli.com.

I understand Peli-peli opened yesterday. I went inside the week before opening and the restaurant itself was really cool.

However, the menu looked a little different and in many places it keeps talking about these peli-peli spices and how great the chicken and dishes cooked in these spices supposedly are. I'm pretty sure Peli-Peli will either be a big hit or a big disaster.

I was wondering if anyone has actually tried the food there yet and what they thought...

I'm guessing 'Peli-Peli' is meant to be a takeoff on 'peri peri'. I've had the latter and it was pretty good.

It is. The restaurant was originally listed as "Peri-Peri" on the Vintage Park website when it was first announced and underwent a name change (assuming copyright related) a month later to Peli-Peli...

• 2 weeks later...

I usually avoid new restaurants for a month or two until they get their kinks out, but I went to Peli-Peli the first Friday they were open. You could tell the waiter was new - he didn't know the menu at all, but that is not surprising. We really liked the food, it was really tasty, and Peli-Peli had a number of unusual items that you can't find just anywhere. Wife and kid loved the Carrot-Ginger soup, the Peli-Peli Chicken and Beef Sosaties will be ordered again, and the Drakensberg Ribs are quite a twist on your usual BBQ. Sides of sweet potato fries and CousCous were fine. The Grilled Fruit Passion Dessert was overpriced, and I had a terrible Russian beer, but other than that, we were very pleased with the place. We will be back - it's a great addition to the area dining scene.

I usually avoid new restaurants for a month or two until they get their kinks out, but I went to Peli-Peli the first Friday they were open. You could tell the waiter was new - he didn't know the menu at all, but that is not surprising. We really liked the food, it was really tasty, and Peli-Peli had a number of unusual items that you can't find just anywhere. Wife and kid loved the Carrot-Ginger soup, the Peli-Peli Chicken and Beef Sosaties will be ordered again, and the Drakensberg Ribs are quite a twist on your usual BBQ. Sides of sweet potato fries and CousCous were fine. The Grilled Fruit Passion Dessert was overpriced, and I had a terrible Russian beer, but other than that, we were very pleased with the place. We will be back - it's a great addition to the area dining scene.

Ate there tonight as well. Food was good. Different and interesting. The kids liked the big 'acacia' tree changing colors. All in all, good. We had a variety of chicken dishes. Only gripe, the Beer selection was lacking. Can't believe they serve Baltika. Suggest they ditch that for some good German (Paulaner) or Czech (Pilsener Urquell)...they should also add a kid's menu.

Edited by mrfootball

New rumored tenant is Wacky Mongolian Grill. Interesting.

Maybe we can just fill the whole place with restaurants. :D

Saw that yesterday when I was picking up an organic tri-pepper pizza at Pizza Fusion (very good btw).

I like most of the new restaurants in the Vintage. They're all a bit 'out of the ordinary' so I'm cool with it.

New rumored tenant is Wacky Mongolian Grill. Interesting.

"Wacky" and "Mongolian Grill" are not necessarily two things I would have put together.

I wonder what will be wacky about it? Will they pelt you in the face with rice when you enter the front door? Perhaps they will give you a free meal if you can catch a frozen shrimp in your mouth thrown 20 feet away from the cooking pit? Or maybe it will be a like a "Dick's last resort" Mongolian style? Perhaps Wacky was supposed to be Tasty and was lost in the translation or something?

Regardless, this "wacky mongolian grill" concept has me curious anyway...

We went there tonight. It was GREAT! The service was fantastic and our waiter was superb! The food was great. The carrot ginger soup was incredible and the lamb chops were out of this world. We plan to go back and try the chicken.

I had been waiting for this place and it was worth the wait. It was nice to eat there and was the first place at Vintage that we were impressed with. Fish City Grill was a bit overpriced and Mia Bella screwed up so many times when we went in March.

Peli Peli may be a major highlight of dining in the northwest Houston area! I really hope they stay around for a while!

I visited Vintage Park for the first time last night. Being one of the people on here who thought the style of architecture would not go with the geography when they announced plans for construction, I was actually impressed. It does work after all, given the overall planning of the Vintage district. The ambiance of walking through it was far more pleasant than I had imagined it would be based on all the times I've driven down Louetta and looked at the facade of Vintage Park during the day. I was expecting it to be just a bunch of upscale chain retail, but I was surprised to find a mix of some neat restaurants and professional offices. It was very clean, pleasant, and somewhat romantic; nothing highly original, but for this area, it's a change of pace, and that's always good. It felt like The Woodlands Market Street meets Rice Village. The whole Vintage District feels a lot like the Woodlands with the cleanliness, newness, modern upscale look, and all the trees along Vintage Preserve (the road that runs from 249, through Vintage Park, to Cutten Rd.) They did a great job with the parking layout. There are plenty of parking spaces, and the grid design makes it easy to get in and out.

Anyways, I ate at Shogun Sushi, and I had a good overall impression. The prices weren't too bad, the food was decent, the service was great, and the atmosphere enjoyable. The place inside was very large with high ceiling and an open, spacious feel. The decor was nice too. The place definitely gets this northwest resident's recommendation. Does anyone know if this is a small chain or independent? Are there others in Houston?

There's a whole district?

I'm not sure if you'd really call it that. I just used that word so everyone would know I was talking about the entire area known as The Vintage and not just Vintage Park. It's basically everything from the Cypress Creek up to Louetta north and south, and 249 to just beyond Cutten east and west.

I'm not sure if you'd really call it that. I just used that word so everyone would know I was talking about the entire area known as The Vintage and not just Vintage Park. It's basically everything from the Cypress Creek up to Louetta north and south, and 249 to just beyond Cutten east and west.

Ah, ok. So has it been called The Vintage a long time or is something recently new that a developer made up? I mean, would someone say they lived in The Vintage?

Thanks

The place definitely gets this northwest resident's recommendation. Does anyone know if this is a small chain or independent? Are there others in Houston?

There are tons of Shoguns. There are at least 2 in the area other than at Vintage. There's one near the movie theater in Cypress (290 and Spring-Cypress) and there's one near Klein that has been there for a while.

Ah, ok. So has it been called The Vintage a long time or is something recently new that a developer made up? I mean, would someone say they lived in The Vintage?

Thanks

It's a new development on the land that was once owned by HP across 249. It just became known as the Vintage about 1-2 years ago. I'm sure the developer just gave it that name. I think only a few people technically live in the Vintage, and that would be those who live in the Vintage di Vita along Vintage Preserve. The rest of it is medical buildings and commercial. I'm sure there is a whole lot more planned for the area, because there is still a lot of land that looks like it's getting set to be developed for something.

I'm sure there is a whole lot more planned for the area, because there is still a lot of land that looks like it's getting set to be developed for something.

Yes, like the Vintage Car Wash (seriously :huh: ), going in across from the Vintage Royale neighborhood.

Yes, like the Vintage Car Wash (seriously :huh: ), going in across from the Vintage Royale neighborhood.

Is it going to be like a Mr. Detail? I know there are lots of car washes everywhere in northwest Houston, but other than the HEB, I can't think of any others in that specific area.

Is it going to be like a Mr. Detail? I know there are lots of car washes everywhere in northwest Houston, but other than the HEB, I can't think of any others in that specific area.

I can't quite tell how elaborate it will be (full detail or self-service). The slab/parking area looks fairly large, but it may just be a cheapo, get-out-and-spray-it-off kind of place.

I can't quite tell how elaborate it will be (full detail or self-service). The slab/parking area looks fairly large, but it may just be a cheapo, get-out-and-spray-it-off kind of place.

By the looks of the foundation, it looks like a full-service wash/detail.

There's a Bubble's further up Louetta a few miles away near Klein HS.