Downtown Houston 2036 Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

19 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Produce delivery will require a certain level of trust, true. A trust that some are not ready to embrace. However, general grocery delivery does not require that

same trust factor. A box of cheerios is a box of cheerios, etc. 

Except, one could say the same thing about a package of linguine or soba noodles that you're saying about a box of Cheerios, yet when I have gotten home delivery, I've gotten linguine and soba noodles that looked like someone had sat on them, all broken up.  When I go to the store to pick them out, that's not a problem. And when it's my food, I've just decided I like to minimize the chain of custody. I've never done Doordash or Uber Eats because the idea of some basically gypsy cab driver carrying my food around in his car turns me off. Generally if I'm getting takeout I'd rather go pick it up myself, but at least if the delivery driver is an employee of the restaurant there is at least some accountability for food handling and quality when it reaches you.

I don't know, whenever I hear people justify their reliance on home delivery for everything with "my time is just too valuable to spend it in a store (or restaurant)", I just think about the high likelihood they are spending that "valuable time" bingwatching Hulu (or posting on internet forums), and getting up, getting out, getting some fresh air and exercise and interacting with people might be a more valuable use of their time. It's like we're becoming a nation of lazy shut-ins. When I lived Downtown just as it was getting cool in the early Aughts, the whole point of living downtown was to be out, to be able to walk out my door and have everything there. I rarely spent much of my waking hours in my apartment. I would have loved to have had grocery stores to walk to.

This interview throws some cold water on hopes that downtown is on the verge of another sprouting of residential towers. I hope Hines gets financing soon for their Block 42 tower. The Block 98 Trammell Crow tower might be too much to hope for.

http://realtynewsreport.com/2018/10/08/how-to-build-a-successful-high-rise-apartment-tower-in-downtown-houston-qa-with-marvy-finger/

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

This interview throws some cold water on hopes that downtown is on the verge of another sprouting of residential towers. I hope Hines gets financing soon for their Block 42 tower. The Block 98 Trammell Crow tower might be too much to hope for.

http://realtynewsreport.com/2018/10/08/how-to-build-a-successful-high-rise-apartment-tower-in-downtown-houston-qa-with-marvy-finger/

He did sound a bit negative. On the other hand he seems to say One Park Place has been and is very successful and 500 Crawford is at 90% occupancy without giving out deep concessions.  

And, as he said, he's working from a different set of criteria than other developers. While it doesn't sound like he'll be putting up any more towers downtown (and to be honest, if we're talking about towers, he already stopped building towers after One Park Place), he kind of suggested others won't necessarily slow down.

22 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

He did sound a bit negative. On the other hand he seems to say One Park Place has been and is very successful and 500 Crawford is at 90% occupancy without giving out deep concessions.  

"500 Crawford was a struggle from the first day and continues to be a struggle, but we are at 90% occupancy."

I think there are at least three things to take into account in evaluating how the new residential properties have performed: (1) Occupancy, (2) Concessions given, (3) Rent. Everything we've heard about the market is that occupancy is doing well, but concessions at most properties have been steep (3-4 months). We don't know much about rent or rent growth. If 500 Crawford got to 90% without giving deep concessions, they may have sacrificed rent.

The other thing he mentioned that sounded gloomy was employment growth. Not a lot of domestic in-migration or growth in white collar jobs these days in Houston. This is reflected in our office vacancy rate, which depending on which source you're watching, either finally start to improve this quarter or is still getting slightly worse.

On 10/11/2018 at 11:02 AM, KinkaidAlum said:

I'll continue to shop in stores because I am afraid of what our society will become without retail jobs. Plus, I like human interaction and I am picky with my produce.

There is significant truth in this.  And, retail is often faster (especially for clothing) and arguably better environmentally, than shipping me 8 pairs of pants from 5 stores only for me to try them on, keep one, and ship them all back for “free”.

• 7 months later...

I was doing some research and came across this very informative site presented by the Houston downtown district who provides much of the direction and steering along with funding for the future of downtown. It is thorough and presents all of the projects that will make Houston even more livable.

Here is the link

http://www.downtowndistrict.org/static/media/uploads/attachments/plan_downtown_report_final_spreads_sm.pdf

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Any news on what will happen to the Forever 21 in downtown? Hopefully the Forever 21 location in downtown is not affected by the recent bankruptcy filing. I assume Forever 21 will seek restructuring/concessions from all their landlords, (including the downtown location) so, hopefully both sides can come to new terms. If not, maybe another retailer or grocery store can come in to that space? The future of downtown is not good (for retail) if there is another giant vacant retail space, again. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Any news on what will happen to the Forever 21 in downtown? Hopefully the Forever 21 location in downtown is not affected by the recent bankruptcy filing. I assume Forever 21 will seek restructuring/concessions from all their landlords, (including the downtown location) so, hopefully both sides can come to new terms. If not, maybe another retailer or grocery store can come in to that space? The future of downtown is not good (for retail) if there is another giant vacant retail space, again. 

I like how we have all been excited by the growth of downtown and the growth of new uses in downtown, but all the sudden one retailer closes its doors in a retail development that has never been that successful and all the sudden there is panic like this is a harbinger of things to come. Its like that one quote from the Joke in The Dark Knight (with slight alterations for this context), "Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plans are horrifying. If I tell the press that tomorrow [Amazon will deliver with drones and that I can get my groceries deliver via an app], nobody panics. But when I say one little old [retailer that has been under performing for years dies], everyone loses their minds!"

Enough with the hot takes and knee jerk reactions everyone. Everything is fine. Next door all of The Shops and Houston Center is being renovated and altered to create more retail and will probably bring in more of the retail we would actually like to see in downtown. Lets just wait and see. Its not like downtown Houston is the reason Forever 21 went bankrupt, and it wouldn't have been the reason it would have been saved.

5 minutes ago, Luminare said:

I like how we have all been excited by the growth of downtown and the growth of new uses in downtown, but all the sudden one retailer closes its doors in a retail development that has never been that successful and all the sudden there is panic like this is a harbinger of things to come. Its like that one quote from the Joke in The Dark Knight (with slight alterations for this context), "Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plans are horrifying. If I tell the press that tomorrow [Amazon will deliver with drones and that I can get my groceries deliver via an app], nobody panics. But when I say one little old [retailer that has been under performing for years dies], everyone loses their minds!"

Enough with the hot takes and knee jerk reactions everyone. Everything is fine. Next door all of The Shops and Houston Center is being renovated and altered to create more retail and will probably bring in more of the retail we would actually like to see in downtown. Lets just wait and see. Its not like downtown Houston is the reason Forever 21 went bankrupt, and it wouldn't have been the reason it would have been saved.

Huh? Who said Forever 21 is closing its doors? Do you have a source? They filed for bankruptcy, true,  but what does that have to do with closing? Do you know how bankruptcy works? I agree, enough with the knee jerk reactions. 

8 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Huh? Who said Forever 21 is closing its doors? Do you have a source? They filed for bankruptcy, true,  but what does that have to do with closing? Do you know how bankruptcy works? I agree, enough with the knee jerk reactions. 

I think this has been both a clarification and communication issue. I was merely using your quote as a launching point to a more general discussion about several threads which have discussed Forever 21's bankruptcy which was to be used as a more broader discussion on how some seem to be spelling doom of retail in downtown due to this one companies incompetence. Also people seem to be overly sensitive to the topic of retail in downtown.

You seem to be looking to discuss Forever 21 more in-depth which is not what I was looking to do in my statement. That is something that should have been pointed out and clarified. That is on me in that instance.

Other than that I stand by my general statement about what I'm seeing, and my focus is on that and not on Forever 21 specifically. That help?

26 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

They may close up to 178 stores

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/09/29/forever-21-chapter-11-bankruptcy/3816101002/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Luminare said:

I think this has been both a clarification and communication issue. I was merely using your quote as a launching point to a more general discussion about several threads which have discussed Forever 21's bankruptcy which was to be used as a more broader discussion on how some seem to be spelling doom of retail in downtown due to this one companies incompetence. Also people seem to be overly sensitive to the topic of retail in downtown.

You seem to be looking to discuss Forever 21 more in-depth which is not what I was looking to do in my statement. That is something that should have been pointed out and clarified. That is on me in that instance.

Other than that I stand by my general statement about what I'm seeing, and my focus is on that and not on Forever 21 specifically. That help?

Not really helpful, no.    You stated:

37 minutes ago, Luminare said:

...but all the sudden one retailer closes its doors in a retail development ...

Just trying to understand where -you- got that from? Not from any of other threads, that I took a quick glace at. Seems like you just made it up? So far, there is no evidence that the Forever 21 in downtown is closing. It may close in the future, indeed I hope it does not (see my post above), but in any event it seems like -you- where the one making knee jerk reactions. 

Just now, 102IAHexpress said:

Not really helpful, no.    You stated:

Just trying to understand where -you- got that from? Not from any of other threads, that I took a quick glace at. Seems like you just made it up? So far, there is no evidence that the Forever 21 in downtown is closing. It may close in the future, indeed I hope it does not (see my post above), but in any event it seems like -you- where the one making knee jerk reactions. 

No the problem here is that you seem to take everything literally. If you aren't going to accept my clarification which was an attempt in good faith then I'm going to have to infer that you are making your case in bad faith, and I think its just best that we disengage. I didn't even say that it was closing today or into the future, but bankruptcy does present that threat. They will close all their stores across the Atlantic, and might not stop there, but that has left some in a tizzy over it all. Clearly though you are fixated on one word, and if you aren't even going to look at the broader scope of what I said then I don't feel like this is a conversation that we can reasonably have or make productive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luminare said:

I didn't even say that it was closing today or into the future, but bankruptcy does present that threat.

You literally did. It's like I'm talking to Trump. We can all read what you posted.

Anyways, for those interested in -facts-, as of right now the downtown Forever 21 has been spared. Very good news for downtown. I would suggest we all try to limit our "knee jerk" reactions before facts are posted. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/01/forever-21-closings-list-these-178-stores-could-close/3833982002/

9 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

You literally did. It's like I'm talking to Trump. We can all read what you posted.

Anyways, for those interested in -facts-, as of right now the downtown Forever 21 has been spared. Very good news for downtown. I would suggest we all try to limit our "knee jerk" reactions before facts are posted. https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/01/forever-21-closings-list-these-178-stores-could-close/3833982002/

Considering your post history this seems to be how you normally engage with most which is rather unfortunate. I probably should have further clarified that it would have been a "potential" closure. That would be fair, but again you aren't asking for that in good faith. You are so militant, and being such a royal prick, that instead of making that clarification I'm simply going to state that, for your sake, I hope they all close just to take the piss out of you haha. You clearly are overly sensitive to the point you can't handle people approaching things in a way that isn't exactly how you wish to approach them which essentially makes you look like a child. Post away, but this isn't worth my time. Wish you the best.

• Like 3

As of now, Forever 21 in Downtown is NOT closings its doors, Forever 21 has not died. These are just facts. I have no idea why Luminare claimed otherwise? This may be better suited for another thread on declining societal norms, but for some reason people can’t admit when they are wrong anymore and instead engage in ad hominem attacks and get defensive. HAIF can do better. 

3 hours ago, Texasota said:

Nice touch talking *about* him rather than *to* him. That's just *chef's kiss* level of dickishness.

I appreciate it Tex, but I think its more the fact that apparently the community is at fault in all this? "HAIF can do better". How dare HAIF give a platform to those with differing opinions! HAIF shall remain pure! HAIF can do better....like Twitter! Shame on me. Shame on HAIF! haha The community and I must repent Tex haha.

Feel good redemption story on how Downtown went from office buildings and parking lots, to an actual neighborhood. Also talks about how building residential in Downtown isn't a pioneering effort anymore, and the fact that residential life is finally taking root.  

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/multifamily/no-longer-pioneering-downtown-living-is-finally-taking-root-101107

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not as many people go to Forever 21 anymore though, hence the bankruptcy. You need a large amount of retail to enter that market at the same time so you have a viable place for people to go to, to walk around for clothes shopping.

4 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

It’s a loss no matter how you slice it IMO, one of the few “major” retailers Downtown.  Realistically what would you like to see?

I think Zara would do better. Whenever I travel and visit Zara, it’s busy and would probably fit the DT residents, workers and tourists. 

• Like 1