Ball Park Place

c4smok

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
not only are the ceiling heights low, but the building is in SUCH bad shape inside, it would cost an exorbitant amount to refurbish (assuming that's why the current owner just sits on it - and for a really really long period of time). :angry:

Which building is the one that Ben Milam owns? I noticed one on Chenevert that has a Silvestri Investments "lofts for sale" sign up, and thought perhaps it was the same one.

Which building is the one that Ben Milam owns?  I noticed one on Chenevert that has a Silvestri Investments "lofts for sale" sign up, and thought perhaps it was the same one.

i was referring to ben milam hotel, which is on texas ave. at la branch (next to minute maid)

is that the one that has the historical preservation sign (or something comparable) on it?

it says something like "ben milam square - historic shops...blahblahblah"

(not verbatim...heh)

but of course, that sign has been there for a really long time (years and years)

alrighty...yesterday, i saw people working on ben milam...i waited and talked to a construction worker, and he said they were demolishing the interior. he didn't know exactly, but he did say that there was a possibility of future shops and restaurants...

also, he mentioned that asbestos abatement had been already done, so the building isn't as hopeless as once thought...

so yeah, looks like things may be happening around minute maid field...

Drove by about 10:30 today, and they had a bobcat and a crane pulling debris through a hole in the wall. They really are cleaning up. Given that it is now July, I would not expect to see anything until at least next baseball season, but given how hard they had to try just to get the wall painted for the All-Star game, this is indeed progress.

:ahem:

they are doing interior demolition with restaurants/shopping inn the near future a small possibility.

the old crappy walls are being removed (asbestos gone - but i swear there's lead paint!) i was told another possibility is an entire demolition...

:blink:

Went by there today to check things out. The interior is a mess! I'd love to see it re-used for something. I haven't seen any construction building permits for that address issued, though.

Btw sevfiv: EXCELLENT website.

Went by there today to check things out.  The interior is a mess!  I'd love to see it re-used for something.  I haven't seen any construction building permits for that address issued, though.

Btw sevfiv:  EXCELLENT website.

thanks! it is not quite what it was meant to be - yet - i just need more tiiiiime! heh

• 1 year later...

ok, they had signs and everything at the site, emporis says it was and is a never built. Does anyone know why it was cancelled? i thought it was going to look awesome where they were going to build it. anyways, post if you know something.

post-4126-1182190894.jpg

At the time it was cancelled, they blamed Enron and the subsequent collapse of the downtown market. Sounds a little bit of a cop out as we've seen other downtown projects since then. Somebody else with more inside knowledge might help out.

I moved this to "Downtown" because it will never be "Going Up". I thought that block had been sold or was for sale. The Ballpark Place project floundered and died several years ago.

This is one project I always hated and I am thrilled it was never built. This was part of the grand revival of that neighborhood that was supposed to occur in the wake of the development of MMP (along with the Shops at Ben Milam, Unique in all of Texas). As planned, it would have stood directly across the street from the western windows of MMP, replacing the view of the northern part of downtown with a close-up view of the Ballpark Place parking garage. Along with ruining the view, when the MMP roof was closed, which is often the case, it would have blocked a good bit of light into the playing field. We should be glad this one got away.

I moved this to "Downtown" because it will never be "Going Up". I thought that block had been sold or was for sale. The Ballpark Place project floundered and died several years ago.

This is one project I always hated and I am thrilled it was never built. This was part of the grand revival of that neighborhood that was supposed to occur in the wake of the development of MMP (along with the Shops at Ben Milam, Unique in all of Texas). As planned, it would have stood directly across the street from the western windows of MMP, replacing the view of the northern part of downtown with a close-up view of the Ballpark Place parking garage. Along with ruining the view, when the MMP roof was closed, which is often the case, it would have blocked a good bit of light into the playing field. We should be glad this one got away.

I dont think this would have had a very large negative impact on the view of the skyline from MMP. Those drawings make the place look a lot more impressive than it would have truned out in actual size. I dont think from inside the ball park you would have a building blocking out the rest quite like they show (nor do I think the apartments themselves would have had the view into the ball park that they were likely marketing). Would have been a nice building that added to the view from inside the park IMO.

This is one project I always hated and I am thrilled it was never built. Along with ruining the view, when the MMP roof was closed, which is often the case, it would have blocked a good bit of light into the playing field. We should be glad this one got away.

Agreed. Only a jerk would built something like that at such a location in Houston. I'd hope a city council member would have the gumption to protect the skyline view from MMP. Everytime the Stro's game is televised, that shot alone sells Houston. Especially in HD! :D

The real question is, will anything ever be built on that block, or any of the other blocks surrounding MMP?

They're progressing with that new cafe right across the street from Vic & Anthony's (adjacent to the Ben Milam hotel). Construction hasn't been speedy, but it's still going on.

While the design wasn't the best, it sure as hell beats a surface parking lot.

A mixed-use building like Ballpark Place would have been HUGE for the area. Trammell Crow was the initial backer I believe and if it had been successful, I think the Ballpark Area would look very different today. Remember, it wasn't originally just apartments. It was going to have ground floor retail, a party plaze overlooking the field, apartments, and office space.

I for one think it's a shame it didn't get built and that the Ballpark Area is actually more barren today than it was when it officially opened (the demise of the Penn).

AND, to think that because it didn't get built, something better will come along soon isn't realistic if you've followed recent history in this city.

Hmmm. Why so long? Not necessarily disagreeing; I'm just curious why you think it's still that far in the future?

I guess because even after construction of MMP that area hasn't really taken off, and it had been declining for 30 years before that. Development of the Park Tower might satiate what demand there is for downtown highrise living. I wish I could see something that might change things around there, but I don't. If it were still a vacant lot in 10 or 15 years time, I wouldn't be surprised.

I always thought the scale of this was too large. Small townhouses or apartments seems like it would have been a better idea for the site, but land prices were too high.

Archived