Ball Park Place

c4smok

Is this a real idea they might do or is it just something for people to look at when they park there car in those parking lots in front of minute maid park =P..

I am getting really tired they need to ethier build it or put up a big parking garage there..

Anybody have the slightest info on this?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah yes, the project I love to hate. It's been "on hold" for quite some time now, meaning (with any luck) most likely unofficially cancelled. Why on earth do they need to build a big ugly parking garage there? The parking garages planned behind Minute Maid Park was cancelled because parking turned out not to be a problem in the neighborhood. I would hate to see the view from MMP ruined with another parking garage.

Here is some renderings I have found. I know this project has been scaled back I understand it is still a go.

Some Details

331 Luxury Rental Loft Apartments

29-Story Tower

23 Levels of Luxury Loft Apartments

6 Levels of Structured Parking

16,900 Square Feet Retail

Ballparkcloseup.jpg

BallParkViewoutofStadium.jpg

Ballparkcloseup1.jpg

I've always been opposed to building a high rise there.

I'd like to see that spot used as preferably a public park or plaza, or else something low slung at either 2 or 3 stories, so as not to block the magnificent downtown view you have when sitting along the 1st base line.

Rendition doesn't look that bad...while it might suck to have the skyline blocked...it would probably be pretty cool to have a condo where you could sit on the balcony and watch the astros play...

Yeah, real cool if you happen to own the condo, but sucky for the rest of us who go to ball games and enjoy the view. What the renderings don't make clear is that when the roof is closed, which is for most games, the parking garage of the building will block most of the view and the light into the ballpark. Next time you are at MMP take a look at the siting and you will see what I mean. Why ruin one of the best ballparks, and a great view to boot, for something like this?

Yeah, real cool if you happen to own the condo, but sucky for the rest of us who go to ball games and enjoy the view.  What the renderings don't make clear is that when the roof is closed, which is for most games, the parking garage of the building will block most of the view and the light into the ballpark.  Next time you are at MMP take a look at the siting and you will see what I mean.  Why ruin one of the best ballparks, and a great view to boot, for something like this?

I thought the same thing... that's really cool for the lucky rich 100 or so people who can live there with a view overlooking the ballpark, but it sucks for the thousands of people who attend games in that stadium nearly every day.

I do agree that the building as shown in the rendering is very beautiful, I just don't want it built in that particular spot.

I wonder too how much the building is actually going to look like that rendering considered its been scaled down.

• 7 months later...

Subdude and I have a long history on this one!

sorry for resurecting this old dinosaur - but its of interest to me.

To bad Root Memorial Square isnt right there! I look forward to those two old hotels west of the train station to be turned into residential towers with retail on the ground floor and that block to eventually have a 8 floor building on it. I now realize the """priceless"""" view of downtown (cough JPMORGANCHASE TOWER caugh) but the land is to expensive or will be to simply build a 2-3 floor building. And whats to say that new high-rises wont be constructed one or two blocks away either?

Maybe the city could somehow find the brains and the brawn to buy the land and turn it into a park. Nothing special - just a nice green space with say a nice duck pond. Benches people can lay on and good lighting. Could even have a small bandstand for street musicians and small parties. That would be nice......

10-15 stories would fit into the surroundings. 29 is gaudy.

If you built up the retail all around the building, you might have something. This is one of the areas Downtown that really could use some bar and restaurant activity.

Follow the Vic and Anthony's and Inn at the Ballpark model and build out the surrounding 10-15 blocks this way. Throw in some similarly styled midrise apartment buildings, a small grocery market, restaurants, a few shops and whatnot -- PRESTO --you'll have our version of WrigleyTown.

Granted, it would seem a little Disney-esque and contrived until the red-brick facades weathered a little and real people moved in to make the neighborhood their own, but what new development in Houston doesn't at this point?

True, it would steal a lot of Midtown's thunder -- an area much more in need and much more deserving of some developers' attention

But, the infrastructure is already here. 30,000-40,000 people come here 82+ days per year by default. Giant employers are a few blocks away. The freeway that connects to EVERY part of the city runs two blocks east. There are many older structures awaiting remodeling, not empty blocks and TEXAS AVE!!! It's already envisioned as a signature street. To have plywood-boarded buildings on it is a disgrace.

The problem with Ballpark Place is that it is trying to be too big, because it is the vision of one developer. We need 50 visionaries to take up this area as their project and work together. Then, you can build the fabric of the neighborhood, not just a single building.

I still like the park idea, but a scaled down version that wasnt so tall would be good. Id rather see a modern building - one that contrasts with the retro look of MMP, and perhaps one that sets the precedant high on Mid-Rise design.

I was at a game about 2? weeks ago and thought how great would it be if the old Ben Milam Hotel was a residential tower with 1-2 floor retail pads at the bottom. It would be a great location for a miriade shops....

....someday

The problem with Ballpark Place is that it is trying to be too big, because it is the vision of one developer. We need 50 visionaries to take up this area as their project and work together. Then, you can build the fabric of the neighborhood, not just a single building.

I agree. It's the same dynamic in play for the Ballpark Lofts east of US 59. It isn't about just one building or one development. The infrastructure is in place for whole communities, with population densities in the five figures.

10-15 stories would fit into the surroundings. 29 is gaudy.

If you built up the retail all around the building, you might have something. This is one of the areas Downtown that really could use some bar and restaurant activity.

Follow the Vic and Anthony's and Inn at the Ballpark model and build out the surrounding 10-15 blocks this way. Throw in some similarly styled midrise apartment buildings, a small grocery market, restaurants, a few shops and whatnot -- PRESTO --you'll have our version of WrigleyTown.

Granted, it would seem a little Disney-esque and contrived until the red-brick facades weathered a little and real people moved in to make the neighborhood their own, but what new development in Houston doesn't at this point?

True, it would steal a lot of Midtown's thunder -- an area much more in need and much more deserving of some developers' attention

But, the infrastructure is already here. 30,000-40,000 people come here 82+ days per year by default. Giant employers are a few blocks away. The freeway that connects to EVERY part of the city runs two blocks east. There are many older structures awaiting remodeling, not empty blocks and TEXAS AVE!!! It's already envisioned as a signature street. To have plywood-boarded buildings on it is a disgrace.

dalparadise is right, yo.

Subdude and I have a long history on this one!

sorry for resurecting this old dinosaur - but its of interest to me.

To bad Root Memorial Square isnt right there!  I look forward to those two old hotels west of the train station to be turned into residential towers with retail on the ground floor and that block to eventually have a 8 floor building on it.  I now realize the """priceless"""" view of downtown (cough JPMORGANCHASE TOWER caugh) but the land is to expensive or will be to simply build a 2-3 floor building.  And whats to say that new high-rises wont be constructed one or two blocks away either?

Maybe the city could somehow find the brains and the brawn to buy the land and turn it into a park.  Nothing special - just a nice green space with say a nice duck pond.  Benches people can lay on and good lighting.  Could even have a small bandstand for street musicians and small parties.  That would be nice......

Are you kidding? That place is overrun with homeless people. If they build a park all the newly-released convicts will simply take over the place and mug everyone within sight.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought Tillman (owner of landry's) already got that spot, Ballpark Inn?

The Ballpark Place proposal was a block north of Inn at the Ballpark, at the surface parking lot across the street from MMP. You can see where it was supposed to have been because I don't think they ever took down the signs at the site.

• 1 month later...
There are many older structures awaiting remodeling, not empty blocks and TEXAS AVE!!! It's already envisioned as a signature street. To have plywood-boarded buildings on it is a disgrace.

Are you kidding? That place is overrun with homeless people. If they build a park all the newly-released convicts will simply take over the place and mug everyone within sight.

first, i agree, the "plywooded" buildings are a disgrace. i have tried (and will continue to try) to contact the nice people that own them (ben milam in particular) but they aren't interested in preservation apparently (and well, since Mr. Smith has owned ben milam SINCE 1984 and let it rot away!)

second, alot of the homeless people living there aren't that bad when encountered (in my experience). just a little crazy, hungry, and sick from breathing lead paint and asbestos particles :P

why does emporis have this as approved now?

You may want to ask emporis. It may well be "approved", but that doesn't mean it's getting built. Their records might just be out of date. This was "postponed" four years ago.

I've told once

I've told you twice

Don't listen to the dunce

For it's not so nice.

:lol:

Even at a gaudy 29 stories, I don't believe the Ball Park Place would block much of the skyline view, other than the Courthouse complex (I love seeing the old Harris County Jail on national TV).

http://www.baseballroadtrip.net/Major/Nati...es/PICT0070.jpg

The link is a photo of the north skyline view. Ball Park Place's rendering shows it hugging the corner of Crawford and Preston. The Prairie Street side is unrestricted. So the only stuff you miss is north of Prairie. Admittedly, not much, although the new Civil Courts bldg. is somewhat interesting, with its dome.

All in all, the benefit of ANY construction by the park would outweigh the small loss of view inside IMO.

BTW, I've heard Ben Milam's ceiling heights are too low to do anything attractive from a loft standpoint. Anyone else heard that? From the outside, it looks to be true.

I agree, anything especially a residential building will help out that area. People watching TV not just fans there will see Downtown happening and want to check it out and look into "being" there. As for the view of the skyline, it would just add to it. SO LET THEM BUILD AND MULTIPLY so they will come :D

I agree, anything especially a residential building will help out that area. People watching TV not just fans there will see Downtown happening and want to check it out and look into "being" there. As for the view of the skyline, it would just add to it. SO LET THEM BUILD AND MULTIPLY so they will come :D

My thoughts exactly.

Archived