Westbury Square History

pineda

Y

ps: The Houston "hippies" were the ones into "cool" places back then. Everyone else was into air conditioned malls. 

and pissin everywhere but the restrooms there. The hippies are what killed Westbury Square. I knew some shop owners there that moved out because they were tired of the hippies running off their customers. The entire concept of the center was shop owners could have apartments over their stores. Plus in the late 70s the center was purchased by a landlord that refused to keep the upkeep on the place.

• Like 1

and pissin everywhere but the restrooms there. The hippies are what killed Westbury Square. I knew some shop owners there that moved out because they were tired of the hippies running off their customers. The entire concept of the center was shop owners could have apartments over their stores. Plus in the late 70s the center was purchased by a landlord that refused to keep the upkeep on the place.

I don't know where you get your information from but I strongly disagree. Those "hippies" is what kept it alive for so long. Not just hippies but young people in general. What killed it, as you did point out was the terrible landowners and management. They kept raising the rent but did nothing to improve the place and did minimal maintenance. I knew some shop owners that just got fed up with the management and left. (They actually loved the "hippies").

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I just heard a rumor that they are tearing down the rest of it.

It's true.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/westbury-square-demolition-underway/-/1735978/24351734/-/gstq5kz/-/index.html

Some of the bricks and lamp posts and being preserved, and the blueprints were found on the property.

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 2

• 7 years later...

Church's (Fried Chicken) opened up in around 1972 - technically outside of Westbury Square, but right next to it.  At some point it changed over to a Kentucky Fried Chicken.  Does anyone remember when this happened?  I'm thinking it was mid - late 80's, but not sure.  

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Westbury Square History
  • 4 months later...

I don't remember Cargo Houston. I only went to Westbury Square a few times. But World Market reminds me of the 1970's Pier One. I loved that store. It was located on I45S. (Gulf Frwy), just past Bellfort.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Anyone have photos of memories of Westbury Square? I have great memories of the fountain, a theater my mom used to take us to see plays for children and an ice cream/candy shop. Unfortunately, all of my family photos were accidentally lost during a move back in the early 80's.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 5:03 PM, LunaSol said:

Anyone have photos of memories of Westbury Square? I have great memories of the fountain, a theater my mom used to take us to see plays for children and an ice cream/candy shop. 

There's a Facebook page with quite a bit of pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/westburysquare/

Also, this great website:

https://arch-ive.org/westburysquare/

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Best memories. Buying those long white candy dot strips at Rumpleheimers, taking them home and eating them while watching The Invaders. Finding a 10 inch blue plastic Gemini capsule that had two working doors for the astronauts at a novelty shop. Buying black light posters in the head shop. Eating the best pepperoni pizza with thick cheese while listening to Mr. Bojangles. So many memories from that place. Not to mention Sage department store and their caramel popcorn as you exit the store. I remember some underground cave like shopping area I think near downtown. That place was dark and moody with the best vendors selling so many great artistic and craft ware items. There was one shop there that sold underground comics. Not sure when they stopped doing this but when I lived across from Johnston Junior High from 65 to 72 every Friday if memory serves me correct the city would blast out the air raid siren for 1 minute at 12 noon. I know for sure they don't do this anymore but when I went to Kolter elementary the 3 or 4 maids would sit by the silver 50 gallon trash cans and have us throw all leftover food and meat in the 3rd trashcan. Those maids would pick through that 3rd trashcan and keep all the good stuff. Believe it or not.    

westbury square.jpg

westbury square headshop.jpg