Westbury Square History

pineda

Does anyone remember that hamburger joint next to Westbury Square? It had a carousel in the middle of the restaurant.. It went really slow, and the animals on the carousel all had trays on them, so kids could sit on the animals and eat their hamburgers..this would have been around 1968..

There was a place just like that called Brittain's Broiler Burger near Memorial City.

The 95 pic makes me want to cry. Home Depot is nothing but a thug. They had enough of a parcel of land to place the store facing Chimney Rock with the rear facing the square with enough room for trucks to be able to get to their loading docks. As it is over 50% of the Home Depot lot is never used. The only time I recall it was even over 50% capacity occupied was in the 2-3 day period right before hurricane Rita was coming this way. If they had bulit a lake (as city park property) where the land was in the glory days of the square we might have been spared the ugly Home Depot coming in.

Although it will likely not occur I would like to see that whole area gutted and single family homes built where Home Depot, 99 cent store, and the Chase are. With rising energy prices this location is more valuable than it used to be when gas was 99 cents and Sugarland was a viable option.

It is very odd that this parcel of land sat idle so long from the 60s to 95. Currently there is a small lot of land right in front on Home Depot next to the Dominos Pizza for sale. It is big enough to accomodate a fast food joint. I pray that does not occur. God help us if a McDonalds opens up and all sorts of crime comes along with it.

The amount of parking required is determined by the maximum amount of people the building is designed to hold, through percentages, per the city's engineering/planning department. In addition, the fire marshall gets to review that stuff and add his two cents and regulation as well. Those factors are what make parking lots so darn big. Too big!

Does anyone remember that hamburger joint next to Westbury Square? It had a carousel in the middle of the restaurant.. It went really slow, and the animals on the carousel all had trays on them, so kids could sit on the animals and eat their hamburgers..this would have been around 1968..

Brittains broiler burger.. It was on the corner in the same place as the closed tape rental place, and at one

time, after broiler burger left, it was a churches chicken joint.

I used to go to broiler burger all the time. In fact, I think I still remember my usual order.. A #5 I think

it was... Was a burger with Bar-B-Q sauce on it... Pretty good...

I also went to the churches quite a bit when it first opened up. I think that corner building is vacant

at the moment, but I'd have to look closer.

MK

I would have to say while all of us on the board, minus a very small minority, wish the square was now as it was once, we have to be realistic. These times in which we live are nothing like the times were back in the 60s. I was born in 78 so I do not speak from firsthand experience but even in my lifetime I have seen our culture and population move towards egomania, anti-social, and flat out rude behavior. These days people want to drive to a big box store in an urban assualt vehicle that screams "I have more money than you do", buy communist made chinese goods on the cheap, and not give a rat's tail about much more. (quote from LarryDallas)

These days if you want that kind of walkable marketplace in the neighborhood you have to shell out megabucks and live in a town where not just a subdivision is masterplanned but the whole city is a planned community.(quote from LarryDallas)

New Urbanist communities like celebration are rapidly becoming the way to get development project through the planning and zoning as well as public hearing phase. We have multiple examples in Florida, City Place, Mizner Plaza are two westbury squarelike developments in Palm Beach county alone, and just yesterday we had the experience of a developer tooting a megasuburb disguised as a mixed use neighborhood and pedestrian oriented development where everyone would live where they work.

One thing that is missing from all of them is the unique quality of the square. I will never grasp how it was possible to get so many one of a kind shops run by the craftsmen themselves to congregate there. The Candle Shop, The scent shop (wrong name) cargo houston, electric paisley, etc. How can so many creative and independent merchants and craftsmen be attracted to a single development? Our New Urbanist plazas are full of corporate chains. Starbucks, Pottery Barn, Anthropologie, high end corporate retail to be sure, but really no examples of a one of a kind craftsmen or merchant.

Hello all,

I'm new here and have enjoyed reading all of the posts about the history and revitalization of Westbury. Not being a native Houstonian (I'm from Dallas, please forgive me!) it wasn't until a few months ago that I'd heard of it. A friend bought a house in Westbury and I couldn't believe that such a beautiful and quiet little gem still exsisted in Houston. And being a longtime lover of all things mid-century, I immediately loved all of the old signs and architecture in the area, even if they are run down. Personally, I am so sad and sick of all the new crap that is being thrown up all over town. I'm shocked that people actually pay obsene amounts of money for it.

I was born in 76 and my husband and I are looking for a place to raise our two young kids. As sad as the news about higher crime, evacuees, slum lords and the like makes me, it seems to me that Westbury has a lot of heart and so many people that love the area. Maybe I'm naive, but I think that will eventually turn back the tide. Though I can't yet afford to buy a house, I hope to join forces with the civic association once I am official. In the meantime, does anyone know if there has been interest by any New Urbanist developers to help revitalize the area? I just read an article in the Chronicle about a week ago about New Urbanist models in Houston.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4952085.html

Hello all,

I'm new here and have enjoyed reading all of the posts about the history and revitalization of Westbury. Not being a native Houstonian (I'm from Dallas, please forgive me!) it wasn't until a few months ago that I'd heard of it. A friend bought a house in Westbury and I couldn't believe that such a beautiful and quiet little gem still exsisted in Houston. And being a longtime lover of all things mid-century, I immediately loved all of the old signs and architecture in the area, even if they are run down. Personally, I am so sad and sick of all the new crap that is being thrown up all over town. I'm shocked that people actually pay obsene amounts of money for it.

I was born in 76 and my husband and I are looking for a place to raise our two young kids. As sad as the news about higher crime, evacuees, slum lords and the like makes me, it seems to me that Westbury has a lot of heart and so many people that love the area. Maybe I'm naive, but I think that will eventually turn back the tide. Though I can't yet afford to buy a house, I hope to join forces with the civic association once I am official. In the meantime, does anyone know if there has been interest by any New Urbanist developers to help revitalize the area? I just read an article in the Chronicle about a week ago about New Urbanist models in Houston.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4952085.html

Not sure if I'd be looking at Westbury as a place to raise children. Especially if you plan on sending them to public schools. Westbury's demographics are much different from the 60's and 70's when Westbury Square was thriving. Most of the blame for Westbury's demise can be put on the rash of apartment construction in the area during the 70's and 80's. Westbury has never recovered from it. Westbury High School is definitely not the same school I graduated from in 69.

link

Edited by LunaticFringe

• 2 months later...

Hello, stumbled on your thread on Westbury Square today. Actually while I was eating a lackluster cheese cake and was remembering the best cheese cake ever from the Cheese Man... is it possible that they are still in business?? I saw the pictures of the Square and was saddened. I used to work at the Westbury Square Bookstore back in the 70's and ate that wonderful cheese cake that has not had a worth match since....

Anybody remember the Bookstore? The Soda Fountain across from it? The sword fighting around the fountain in the middle of the square??? Gee what a great time to be young, cute and dating...... ^_^

Hello, stumbled on your thread on Westbury Square today. Actually while I was eating a lackluster cheese cake and was remembering the best cheese cake ever from the Cheese Man... is it possible that they are still in business?? I saw the pictures of the Square and was saddened. I used to work at the Westbury Square Bookstore back in the 70's and ate that wonderful cheese cake that has not had a worth match since....

Anybody remember the Bookstore? The Soda Fountain across from it? The sword fighting around the fountain in the middle of the square??? Gee what a great time to be young, cute and dating...... ^_^

My wife used to work at the Cheese Man. Sadly, he passed away a long time ago so the store was shut down for good.

When I was in high school (68-71) some of us considered the bookstore to be the best place to work, period, primarily due to the general feeling of being on the square.

My two cents to this grand old thread:

I grew up in Spring Branch but my lots of my father's friends and co-workers lived in Westbury so we visited them often. A trip to Rumpleheimers for a some rock candy was always a treat and I remember being in awe of the Square back then. Years later, late 80's or so, two friends of mine were roommates in one of the apartments there. The retail was mostly vacant, but I think most of the apartments were full so it still felt pretty lively (and very hip I thought living like that.) Haven't been there since they moved out by 1990, sad to see the pictures of today's decline.

• 4 weeks later...
I know it had a drug store, because my friend and I would ride our bikes there to get sodas - that was around 1960-61. It might have been a Dugan's.

Trampoline centers were really popular in the summer of 1960. There was one on Beechnut close to Post Oak - across from Meyerland. I believe that the one in Westbury might have closed by the time I moved there in the fall of 1960.

Sometime around 1959 there was a trampoline center roughly where the SP tracks cross Willowbend just west of where Mel's BBQ was several years later (Mel who owned the BBQ was ok, but his front man Bunny was a great guy) but on the north side. If I recall (and it's been a long time) it was called Jumpin Jimminy or something similar. It didn't last to long and I remember my parents didn't want me to go since the trampolines were little squares with a hard (wood or cement?) square surrounding each.

Thanks for these pics. I vaguely recall my mother taking us there in the mid to late 70's. What I remember the most was an ice cream shop we would stop by on almost every trip. I want to think the decor and ambiance fashioned an older style ice cream parlor.

The only other memory is of my mother loosing the diamond from her engagement ring somewhere in Westbury Sq. She franticly looked everywhere but to no avail.

I don't think I have been out there since the early 90's. For those of us out of town and rarely back in Houston, thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Sad to see the area in such disrepair.

Edited by nyc_tex

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, how sad. I used to ride my bicycle(!) from the Montrose area to Westbury Square around 1970/71. I'd go to The Chemist Shop, which was located on the corner by Cargo Houston. The Chemist Shop was run by Mrs. Webster, an absolutely amazing woman who was as elegant as she was intriguing. She stocked a lot of natural beauty and health products, and scent oils from Caswell-Massey. I loved the Heliotrope, and actually still have a bottle with the merest drop left in it. I can smell that and transport right back to that time and place. I had a friend named Joy, who also adored the shop and Mrs. W. Once, I was in the shop just at closing time, and Mrs. Webster, a stately lady with a nimbus of ethereal white hair, usually barely contained in a bun, threw her shawl around her shoulders, tossed her head back and announced, "And now, my dear, I am off to throw a large red ribbon around the entire world!" This was declared in her fascinating accent, which I always imagined was Basque (not sure why I thought this). I never forgot the power of her presence and my absolute certainty that she was off to do just that. If only she could return to touch Westbury Square with her personal magic . . . sigh.

• 2 months later...
Electric_Paisley_1967.jpg

Gail & I were good friends in Jr. High. Her mother either owned or managed the Hermes (?) store in the square and her brother Skip, opened the headshop. Her Dad was in advertising or distribution, I think, because right before Cap'n Crunch was released on the market, their garage was filled with boxes of it. They lived on Landsdown, I lived on Cartagena and our lives pretty much revolved around the Square.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the memories and updates. I moved to McKnight St. near Hillcroft where Bellfort ended in 1963 (7th grade). Graduated Westbury high in '69. Westbury Square was a great hang-out. The Electric Paisley was my favorite. (I still have a pair of purple lens "Lennon" glasses I bought there.) The rock candy at Rumpleheimers was also a big hit, along with the decor - marble top tables, etc.

The '60 aerial view was amazing. I was in a bowling league at Post Oak lanes. Went to Johnston. Our family bought Chevy's from MacRobert (before it was Foyt) Chevrolet. (Not yet built in the picture.) I remember the Jack-in-the-Box at Bellfort and Chimney Rock. Remember Jack Cola? It was their cheap verson of Coke. For spite and to send a message we would drive up and order Coke and they would reply, "We serve Jack Cola." So we would say never mind and speed off.

Someone way back was trying to name the music teacher at Johnston. Yes it was Mr. Munson (Leslie, I think). He then went to Westbury. I think I went to the dentist across the street from the Weingarten's shopping center (on Chimney Rock).

Left for college in the fall of '69. Parents moved to Sugar Land in '71. Haven't been back since around '75.

Speaking of Westbury businesses.........anyone have info on the history of the strip mall where Annie's Hamburgers is located? I think I read somewhere it used to be called Hank's in the early days. I went for the first time a few weeks ago and it was pretty good.

Speaking of Westbury businesses.........anyone have info on the history of the strip mall where Annie's Hamburgers is located? I think I read somewhere it used to be called Hank's in the early days. I went for the first time a few weeks ago and it was pretty good.

It was called Luke's. Luke and Annie were married and then got divorced. He gave that restaurant to Annie and he took the one at 610 and Westheimer (the building that's now Zone Erotica).

So great to see this post! Lots of great information about places of the past.

I have fond memories of Westbury Square, mostly as a child and teenager (late 60's-early 80's). Our family used to go there a lot. I remember the clock tower, Rumpleheimer's, Cargo Houston, a book store, The Candle Shop (my brother worked there in the 70's), the fountain, Cromwells? (clothing store), and other places. Later on (late 80's), the only place that seem to be open and significant was a great little Chinese restaurant.

I visited "the Square" around 2000 and and took some pictures of what was left. I'll try to post them.

I lived in Westbury from 1960 (year I was born) until 1971 when we moved to Meyerland. Went to Anderson through part of 3rd grade, and then to Kolter...Anyhow, in the center where Weingarten's was, there was a barber shop where i got my haircut by Gene. Frankie was my Mom's favorite checker at Weingarten's. There was also a Madding's drugstore, which became an Eckerd's. A women's clothing store - Tyser's, and a shoe repair place. But the best was Britian's Broiler Burger, with the horse carousel that you could eat at. I went to the Little Red School House, and my favorite teacher was Mrs. Martin - we would take field trips to Rumpleheimer's and Britian's Broiler Burger....Great memories.

Well boys and girls I just ran across this somehow in my quest on the Meyerland shopping center and GCC theatre circa mid 60s. If anyone of you remember the GCC intro here's a video clip that will bring back memories of Saturday afternoon at the Meyerland GC.

GCC Feature Presentation

2ir43yf.jpg

I must say I spent a while here and finished reading the 4 pages on westbury square. Whoa, the memory cells are blowing up from overload. For a little atmosphere let's key up Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild. Ah, that's better. After reading this and seeing the photos I too was almost reduced to tears from seeing in 1968 with my own eyes, ears and especially nose what once was and is now unfortunately no more.

For those that were not there it's hard to describe in words or photos what it was like to wander the square on a friday night in 1968. The cars, the hair, the smells, the atmosphere, the jammed packed main aisles, strange sitar music coming from the Electric Paisley. Opening the door and getting assaulted by the incense. Walking into their blacklight room and staring at all the blacklight posters for sale.

Key up Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride

I traveled back to Houston in 2003 for a little business and a little reminiscing. Did not recognize Meyerland Plaza. Where was the GCC theatre? OK, kept going. OK, food giant was still there or at least the building (not sure if they renamed it or not to something else). Past Kolter, past where I was part of the crossing guard patrol with long bamboo poles and orange flags. The front of Kolter still seemed the way I remembered it (graduated 6th grade 1971). Past Godwin Park, a left, a right and another right takes me to Wigton and the houses look pretty much the same except for a lot more trees. Johnston Junior High up ahead, is that what I think it is? Gang writing on my old junior high?? If coach had caught those miscreants he would have tanned their hides. Is that the cancer that is spreading? Parents that will not discipline their children. We'll save that for later. Onto westbury square!

Key up Eric Burdon & The Animals - Sky pilot

WTF?? Where is westbury square?? It's gone for the most part. Fences around it. Some horrendous corporate store closeby. I stop to look at the fountain and the whole scene reminds me of that final scene in planet of the apes when charleton heston discovers the statue of liberty. This is not the westbury square I remember.

Key up Jim Croce - Mr Bojangles

The westbury square I remember was a pizza parlor with a live band that was crowded shoulder to shoulder. Mr Bojangles was being sung while a piece of the best pepperoni pizza in houston was being devoured. The westbury square I remember had a gift shop where I purchased a blue plastic Gemini spacecraft with two folding doors and removable astronauts. The westbury square I remember had an old time soda fountain with a gigantic selection of candy. My favorites were the colored dots on paper 4 across. Their root beer floats were to die for. The westbury square I remember had a glass blowers shop where you stood fascinated for 30 minutes as a glass unicorn was made in front of your eyes. Blue flames, glass so hot it was orange, twisting the glass so finely to make all the details of the mane. That's the westbury square I remember.

Key up Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby Magee

Yah, the yumbo, I remember. I believe that was Corky's. Or perhaps the one before. I know they went through a couple name changes. Remember the Gulf station on post oak? It had the 60 second clock hand. If you were not waited on within 60 seconds your tank of gas was free. Nowadays they glare at you for giving them $80 through a bullet proof window. They also gave away a case of cokes with fillups, at 33 cents a gallon. And smiled at you! And asked about your family! Across the street was the 7-11. ICEE time after swimming at the park, yes!! Remember to mix cherry half and half with coke and pay the cashier 12 cents for your icee.

Key up Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

It's saturday, time for goonie golf. If you shoot the last hole and get a hole in one you get a pass for a free game. After the game you go next door to that restaurant that has phones on the table to order from. You order the melted cheese sandwiches with the tiny crumbs on the outside. Something like batter dipped melted cheese sandwiches with crumbs. (you had to have been there) Don't forget to order the large plate of onion rings. After lunch walk on over to westbury yamaha and salivate over the brand new green 1971 yamaha 100 enduro. Sit on it, twist the throttle, apply the brakes, close your eyes and imagine yourself in concrete buffalo bayou doing wheelies on your way to the offroad track with the gigantic hill where everyone practices.

Believe it or not the burger king sold cigarettes from a machine in the dining room for 30 cents or so. Each pack came with a book of 20 matches carefully attached to the pack of cigarettes. Yes boys and girls, at one time children ate whoppers at a table while a strange man 2 feet away smoked cigarettes after his meal along with his wife. It never bothered me, I could never get enough of the whoppers. Remember the adjustable gold whopper crowns?

There was a fresh egg store further south that sold 3 dozen for a dollar. I'll never forget the giant pig at Piggly Wiggly. The BBQ place I remember had sawdust all over their floor. I also remember the huge nursery with the duckpond. We would always bring a loaf of bread to feed them while our parents were shopping for plants. I remember Saturday July 20, 1969 when Neil walked on the moon we were feeding the ducks when the nursery announced it. Now if I remember correct there was a hardware store close to the nursery that sold ESTES ROCKETS!! Nothing better than launching some small animal in the invisible payload section from the 50 yard line at Johnston JH. I never cared for the electric engine ignitor. I liked the red dynamite cord that you would cut about 6 inches, light it and move back.

I remember some rep from ATT coming to the public library demonstrating a video phone in 1967. I distinctly remember him telling us by 1972 every home in the US with have a video phone!

Key up The Irish Rovers - The Unicorn

There was a skating rink built inside a huge quonset hut. It had 4 gigantic fans at the end for circulation. Where you exchanged your shoes and rented the skates they had a 2 foot fan blowing down the counter. I remember asking for size 8, amazing, I wear a 13 today. The small snack shop was always crammed on the weekends with birthday parties. Right outside the snackshop was a jukebox and a couple pinball machines.

Sharpstown mall had that revolving 6 flags over texas display. I remember one easter winning a rabbit from one of the hutches with my winning entry name of "hares haven". Somehow they got a cessna 150 into sharpstown, it was on display one weekend. Remember the 6 foot stereo egg chair at sharpstown?

Oh yea, my easy rider poster from the electric paisley inspired me to take a long piece of pipe and turn my stingray into a chopper. It worked for about a week until the pipe cracked from stress. Do kids still put playing cards in the spokes with a clothespin?

Thanks for the memories.

P.S. Driveby's and rapes at westbury hs?, say it aint so joe.

Edited by SchwinnChopper68

Thank YOU for the memories SchwinnChopper. I had forgotten some of those places you mentioned. Yeah, WHS is not what it once was. It has become what Madison HS was in the 70's. I guess we should have seen it coming with all those apartments they built close by in the 70's and 80's. Sadly it has fallen into a demise that every predominantly minority school has. I know I would not let my kids go to school there.

Man what a great site!! I grew up off West Belfort and S. Post Oak just behind Wyatte's Caffateria (now gone) and used to go hunting in Meyer's field which is now Meyer's Plaza. Remember Honda Hill? That is long gone.

I use to ride my bike every freaking day to Johnston. Mr. Anderson was the assit. princicaple at the time and everybody used to rag on him because he was also a modle for Sears and he had a picture in the catalog the kids used to hang on the walls at school. Rember coach Ahr, Johnson, Fisher and Coach Walker? Coach Walker was the best.

Then there was good old Westbury. Does anybody remeber we had a smoking area at school. Wow now you can't smoke any where.

We used to skip class and go to Super-Surf on S. Post oak and shoot pool at lunch or we would go swimming at the sand pits at the end of Fondren. I had a pretty bad wreck my Sr. year on Willowbend by Johnston splashing the junior high kids after a rain one day.

I can remember there was a hamburger place at Westbury Square that had a Mery-Go-Round in it. After the football games we would hang out at the Pizzia Parlor at Westbury Square.

Man has it changed today. My mom still lives in Willow Meadows so I drive by Westbury every so often. Good memories but sad to see what it has turned into.

Now if I remember correct there was a hardware store close to the nursery that sold ESTES ROCKETS!! Nothing better than launching some small animal in the invisible payload section from the 50 yard line at Johnston JH. I never cared for the electric engine ignitor. I liked the red dynamite cord that you would cut about 6 inches, light it and move back.

That was the "Company Store" which was on Gasmer near where the cable co is or was..

The owner lived down the street from me. Keith Hill was his name if I remember right..

I remember I used to build up rockets with plastic "Gemini" nose cones

which you could unscrew and put stuff in.. I used to like to launch lizards into the ether..

I use to ride my bike every freaking day to Johnston. Mr. Anderson was the assit. princicaple at the time and everybody used to rag on him because he was also a modle for Sears and he had a picture in the catalog the kids used to hang on the walls at school. Rember coach Ahr, Johnson, Fisher and Coach Walker? Coach Walker was the best.

Yea.. I remember all that Sears catalog deal with Anderson..

I remember all those coaches.. I had Walker in the 9th grade

when he was hired to replace Coach Macy after Macy got in a

fight with Coach Sanderson and was fired.

I had Johnson in the 7th grade.. Macy in the 8th..

I ran cross country and was the 2nd fastest in the school when

I was there. Only Jeff Curren <sp? could dog my butt with any

regularity. We won city and state both when I was in 8th and 9th

grade. But I quit running when I went to Westbury. Spent

more time with the band.. Didn't have PE at all.. Band was

my PE at Westbury. At Johnston I had band and PE both..

I didn't mind not ever having to suit up for gym like most did..

BTW, Macy also taught me how to drive at his Houston Driving School

which he co-owned with Coach Hale I think. I fergot.. Hale may have taught

at Bellaire... I don't remember him being at Johnston for some reason.

Macy was quite a character... Step on the gas and go! you mickey mouse!

in that Polish accent he had... And if you didn't , he reach over and stomp on

that puppy for you if he thought you were too pokey about entering the

freeway..

>Then there was good old Westbury. Does anybody remeber we had a smoking area at school. Wow now you can't smoke any where.

I was there when they started the smoking area. "1973" I used it too... :/

Along with the restrooms, the football fields, the handball court,

and any where else I might have wondered..

>We used to skip class and go to Super-Surf on S. Post oak and shoot pool at lunch or we would go swimming at the sand pits at the end of Fondren. I >had a pretty bad wreck my Sr. year on Willowbend by Johnston splashing the junior high kids after a rain one day.

>I can remember there was a hamburger place at Westbury Square that had a Mery-Go-Round in it. After the football games we would hang out at the >Pizzia Parlor at Westbury Square.

Brittains Broiler burger had the merry go round.. I was at the pizza parlor so often

in the 70's, I probably should have just moved in..

I never worked there though, although many I knew did.

I did work at Al Betos, and Bull and Anchor though..

Edited by nm5k

Well boys and girls I just ran across this somehow in my quest on the Meyerland shopping center and GCC theatre circa mid 60s. If anyone of you remember the GCC intro here's a video clip that will bring back memories of Saturday afternoon at the Meyerland GC.

GCC Feature Presentation

Haven't looked at it yet, but I always liked the snazzy snare drum

in that thang..

I was a drummer back then, so I noticed such things..

I think they used brushes actually to play it..

I remember seeing 2001 ASO there soon after it came out..

They also had a thing about video phones in that flick... lol..

Hard to believe 2001 is now in the past... It seemed like

light years into the future back in the late 60's, early 70's.

And even now most don't have video phones, unless they

are rigged up through the web, etc..

Never seemed to really catch on.

Edited by nm5k

Yea.. I remember all that Sears catalog deal with Anderson..

I remember all those coaches.. I had Walker in the 9th grade

when he was hired to replace Coach Macy after Macy got in a

fight with Coach Sanderson and was fired.

I had Johnson in the 7th grade.. Macy in the 8th..

I ran cross country and was the 2nd fastest in the school when

I was there. Only Jeff Curren <sp? could dog my butt with any

regularity. We won city and state both when I was in 8th and 9th

grade. But I quit running when I went to Westbury. Spent

more time with the band.. Didn't have PE at all.. Band was

my PE at Westbury. At Johnston I had band and PE both..

I didn't mind not ever having to suit up for gym like most did..

BTW, Macy also taught me how to drive at his Houston Driving School

which he co-owned with Coach Hale I think. I fergot.. Hale may have taught

at Bellaire... I don't remember him being at Johnston for some reason.

Macy was quite a character... Step on the gas and go! you mickey mouse!

in that Polish accent he had... And if you didn't , he reach over and stomp on

that puppy for you if he thought you were too pokey about entering the

freeway..

>Then there was good old Westbury. Does anybody remeber we had a smoking area at school. Wow now you can't smoke any where.

I was there when they started the smoking area. "1973" I used it too... :/

Along with the restrooms, the football fields, the handball court,

and any where else I might have wondered..

>We used to skip class and go to Super-Surf on S. Post oak and shoot pool at lunch or we would go swimming at the sand pits at the end of Fondren. I >had a pretty bad wreck my Sr. year on Willowbend by Johnston splashing the junior high kids after a rain one day.

>I can remember there was a hamburger place at Westbury Square that had a Mery-Go-Round in it. After the football games we would hang out at the >Pizzia Parlor at Westbury Square.

Brittains Broiler burger had the merry go round.. I was at the pizza parlor so often

in the 70's, I probably should have just moved in..

I never worked there though, although many I knew did.

I did work at Al Betos, and Bull and Anchor though..

I ran track at Johnston, was the fasted in the 100 and was on the 440 Relay as well which won district every year I was on it. I quite track in the 9th grade after we won district and quailified for reginials because of Macy. He was such an ass. I remember Jeff CURREN AS WELL.

I ran track at Johnston, was the fasted in the 100 and was on the 440 Relay as well which won district every year I was on it. I quite track in the 9th grade after we won district and quailified for reginials because of Macy. He was such an ass. I remember Jeff CURREN AS WELL.

Heck, I probably know you... :/

Heck, I probably know you... :/

I would not be surprised if we crossed paths. I played on the varsity football team in 8th and 9th grade and we won district my 9th grade year. I also played football at Westbury my soph. year and then joined the rodeo team. I use to ride over at Circle 8 arena and at Simington. We spent Friday nights at Fairchilds and the Poney Express Club drinking, dancing and playing pool.

You said you were in the band, did you know Dave Eichburger when you were at Johnston?

Edited by redraider

I would not be surprised if we crossed paths. I played on the varsity football team in 8th and 9th grade and we won district my 9th grade year. I also played football at Westbury my soph. year and then joined the rodeo team. I use to ride over at Circle 8 arena and at Simington. We spent Friday nights at Fairchilds and the Poney Express Club drinking, dancing and playing pool.

You said you were in the band, did you know Dave Eichburger when you were at Johnston?

Pretty sure I did, but I can't hardly remember him.. I also used to

work with another Eichburger in the late 70's, and he might have been

related to Dave.. Maybe a brother..