Binz Building At 1001 Texas Ave.

Subdude

Good job!

I think the Binz building at Main and Texas was new in 1982 however.

Yes and no. The information I have indicates that additional floors were added to the 1951 structure. An interesting side note - the original brick foundations of the 1890's building can still be seen in the basement.

May I ask the source? It just seems odd to think a tall building would have been constructed on top of a two story commercial structure. The reason I ask is that there was also a claim that the current Binz Building is a remodel of the original 6-story structure (it's in Ray Miller's 'Houston'), which obviously couldn't have been the case.

May I ask the source? It just seems odd to think a tall building would have been constructed on top of a two story commercial structure. The reason I ask is that there was also a claim that the current Binz Building is a remodel of the original 6-story structure (it's in Ray Miller's 'Houston'), which obviously couldn't have been the case.

You sound like my wife - she never believes me either!

binz%20news.jpg

• 11 months later...

Merge if I duplicated please... :rolleyes:

Binz Building decorated for No-Tsu-Oh, 1907 - A Houston November carnival and festival began in the mid-1880s as the Fruit, Flower and Vegetable Festival. It faltered, but was revived in 1899 as No-Tsu-Oh ("Houston" spelled backward). Here, the Binz Building, Houston's first skyscraper, is decorated with an electric light display for the festival. Chicago native Jacob Binz built the six-story building at Main Street and Texas Avenue in 1894.

port2.jpg

• The title was changed to Binz Building At 1001 Texas Ave.

Archived