Jus' Mac At 2617 Yale St.

Dan the Man

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't excited about this when the thread first popped up, but I have been on a cheese kick lately. So I'm with SilverJK, I need cheese too. And I want all kinds of different meats up in there too. Mac and cheese stuffed sausage. Brisket infused mac. Deep fried mac. Barbecue mac!!! Sushi mac...I could do some smoked salmon rolled with cheese and mac on the inside. Mac and cheese chimichanga!! DO IT!!! You are free to steal my ideas if I get free food!

Sushi mac?!

Why not? A Philly roll already has the basic elements. It just needs a row of macaroni across the top.

I got another one - cool down some mac n cheese so it's thicker, form/roll it into balls, batter, and deep fry. Maybe they could have this available fondue style. Everybody wins, even the TMC!!

I got another one - cool down some mac n cheese so it's thicker, form/roll it into balls, batter, and deep fry. Maybe they could have this available fondue style. Everybody wins, even the TMC!!

They do this at Reef, though they do it as a Borg-style cube. It's the kind of thing that sounds like it ought to be better than it really is.

It's kind of a take-off on arancini, which are basically fried risotto balls.

Mmmm! I think Target sells some frozen version of this...right out of the fryer would be awesome!

I hope they have whole grain pasta in some if not all of their dishes. Eating all of that cheese, I think a little fiber would go a long way. Now days they even make that smart pasta that has the texture of white pasta but with the nutrition and fiber content of whole grain.

Sushi Mac and Cheese from a random food blog.

i'll pass.

That's no sushi, that's just someone wasting more time than they need to on chili-mac, which should take 8 minutes to make. No Kraft stuff. Although I'll eat it from time to time and it's not bad, I would want really good cheese if I'm eating out. No powder!

Mac n philly cheese steak sandwich.

Mac n cheese stuffed flounder.

Appetizer - mac-n-cheese queso (con carne) with pork cracklins instead of chips to dip.

I'm not sure why I'm getting into this today. Maybe I'm pregnant or something.

I wasn't excited about this when the thread first popped up, but I have been on a cheese kick lately. So I'm with SilverJK, I need cheese too. And I want all kinds of different meats up in there too. Mac and cheese stuffed sausage. Brisket infused mac. Deep fried mac. Barbecue mac!!! Sushi mac...I could do some smoked salmon rolled with cheese and mac on the inside. Mac and cheese chimichanga!! DO IT!!! You are free to steal my ideas if I get free food!

Oh yeah!

I pretty much mix in my mac and cheese with those meats.

It be yum.

Seriously, is that CPA guy a plant? He couldn't have done a better job of drumming up sympathy and support.

Every time I go to Spec's Warehouse the cheese section holds me spellbound. Jus' Mac has me looking forward to an experienced and knowledgeable introduction to some of the more unfamiliar varieties.

They do this at Reef, though they do it as a Borg-style cube. It's the kind of thing that sounds like it ought to be better than it really is.

It's kind of a take-off on arancini, which are basically fried risotto balls.

:o Arancini are not fried risotto balls! Risotto is from the north. So far north it's practically Switzerland. Sorry--I am duty bound to defend Sicilian food. You want rice balls, you come see us down South. :)

Haven't had the Reef dish; it does sound borg-ish for a fish restaurant.

I like 20th St Dad's mac and cracklins idea, a lot.

I had a lobster mac and cheese at Kata Robata. Now that was incredible! It features parmesan and panko bread crumbs.

...and miso (I think). The dish is very tasty.

(BTW, try making a white miso compound butter and use it to top your next steak. Outstanding.)

• 1 month later...

no...this isnt your Kraft Mac and Cheese :)

Just noticed and read this entire thread for the first time. I look forward to trying this place out.

One note though.... Kraft Mac and Cheese rocks. Not that I've been to too many restaurants that offer Mac'n'Cheese - the occasional Lubys or BBQ joint... but I've never been to one that has Mac'n cheese even half as edible as your average Kraft from a box. They are always too goopy, chunky, overly cheesy... Maybe I'm in the minority thinking Kraft is at the top of the macaroni totem poll.

Still.. Look forward to trying this place out once they get settled.

Just noticed and read this entire thread for the first time. I look forward to trying this place out.

One note though.... Kraft Mac and Cheese rocks. Not that I've been to too many restaurants that offer Mac'n'Cheese - the occasional Lubys or BBQ joint... but I've never been to one that has Mac'n cheese even half as edible as your average Kraft from a box. They are always too goopy, chunky, overly cheesy... Maybe I'm in the minority thinking Kraft is at the top of the macaroni totem poll.

Still.. Look forward to trying this place out once they get settled.

Kraft is good, but only in the same way McDonald's is good. You've had it all your life, it's cheap, maybe reminds you of being a kid. It's definitely not top notch cuisine from a cheese or pasta standpoint. But hey, we still eat it. Especially when you toss a can of chili in there.

Still haven't gotten there...need to soon.

Kraft is good, but only in the same way McDonald's is good. You've had it all your life, it's cheap, maybe reminds you of being a kid. It's definitely not top notch cuisine from a cheese or pasta standpoint. But hey, we still eat it. Especially when you toss a can of chili in there.

Still haven't gotten there...need to soon.

I'm Italian.. I know my pastas, and I'm pretty adventurous in the cheese department. Consequently, I've never considered Mac'N'Cheese either pasta or cheese... Only Grade A comfort food. Nor have I ever considered it top notch cuisine ( I did a double take earlier in the the thread when someone mentioned it being available at Smith & Wollensky's ).

Anyways.. outside of a Kraft box, I've never had Mac'N'Cheese worth a damn... so I look forward to trying this place out.

i had the taco-mexi and it was good. Wife had the Rustic, and it was also good. They are definitely still working out the kinks, but it was still a good dining experience. It did sit a bit heavy on the belly(i ate the whole thing) I'll definitely be going back soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with a friend yesterday at 7:00pm. It was pretty crowded with a 30 minute wait. I had the buffalo chicken, but it really wasn't my thing. The spicy hot sauce didn't go well with all of the cheese; however, the big chuncks of bacon were perfect in the dish. My friend had the Rustic which I liked better. Both of our dishes came out luke warm.

I will be back.

• 2 weeks later...

I went by there today for lunch. Tried the Quattro, a four-cheese mac with breadcrumbs on top, to really delve into the simple form of the dish. At $9 for maybe 12 ounces of food, I regret it. The mac was beyond al dente. The cheese sauce at the bottom had a gritty texture to it (reminding me of Luby's). Overall, it was kind of soupy. It should be thicker throughout rather than just a sauce. On the plus side, a tad bit of ham fell into my dish, and that morsel and everything around it was delicious.

I'd rather pay more for an entry-level steak, less for ginger beef at the Vietnam Restaurant, or just bring a bag lunch and buy better-quality whiskey for when I get home. A lower-priced french onion soup would've been preferable, too.

I'll have to go back once more to try something meatier...for meat's sake.

Somehow I retained the taste for Cheese even after tasting that god awful stuff they had in the B2 c-ration, it came in a small tin about the actual size of a can of boot or shoe polish, which is what it happened to taste like, and you could actually shine your boots with it! Those menus listed above sound really good but I live in the country and have mastered the use of a microwave, well muh two dogs think so.

Archived