Tennison Lofts At 110 Bagby St.

WestGrayGuy

This description may be so vague I might be wasting my time, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Traveling North on 45, once you pass the Downtown Aquarium, there is a white big brick building that rises about two or three stories over the freeway and stands what seems like an arms length away from it on the right.. It has a gold star I think with a circle around it and one section has tall glass windows. A couple years ago, I think the glass was even broken.

I haven't passed by there in a while, but ever since it's been there, it doesn't look like its been occupied. I have no idea what the building is for. It looks like it could have been some kind of residential building.

Does anyone have a clue to what I'm talking about or what that building is?

----------

it might be a little further past the aquarium than i'm leading on, i'm not sure. i would say its in the dt vicinity though

Edited by lockmat

• 5 months later...

My wife was driving around downtown and she got lost. Somewhere near Franklin and Bagby she saw a building she described as "very striking with big arches and elaborate wrought iron." Franklin and Bagby is the former Tennison Hotel, now One Bayou Park or whatever. There's a parking garage with rectangular openings and ?chain link? but she doesn't think that's what she saw.

She may be mistaken about the street, but she was westbound trying to leave the downtown area, and she was near I-45. She eventually wound up on Washington Street.

Any ideas? I thought of Las Alamedas :D but she wasn't THAT lost!

There is a building, not sure what it's name is, but it is a white-ish brick with green glass and big texas stars all over it at that corner, 2 blocks north of the DT Aquarium. It is about 3-4 stories high and pokes up right next to I 45 (with a Budweiser billboard on the roof) I would assume that building?

The building CSOM is describing is the remodeled Tennison Hotel, and it sounds like marmer doesn't think that's it. Marmer, did your wife say how big or tall it was, or whether it looked old?

Yes that's the Tennison Hotel that was supposed to be lofts but never opened. She described arches and that doesn't descrobe that bldg. Sounds like it's somewhere near the post office though. Maybe on the other side that was the old maternity ward (Jefferson?) that's now artist lofts? Hogg Palace. I don't know.

I thought of the Tennison right away and we looked at pictures, which she didn't seem to think were what she saw. She had a voice recorder with her and she tried to record the street names at the intersection, but it didn't work. She was pretty clear that one of the streets was Bagby. She remembered arches and wrought iron, and couldn't really give me more of a description -- tall, short, old, whatever. Sorry. She's not the architecture nut in the family, and she was lost and probably a little flustered.

But I guess I should be flattered that she thought I'd know right away what it was! :rolleyes:

Subdude, the Cotton Exchange building is certainly striking and memorable. I don't see a lot of wrought iron, but I will show the picture to her.

Edited by marmer

The building CSOM is describing is the remodeled Tennison Hotel, and it sounds like marmer doesn't think that's it. Marmer, did your wife say how big or tall it was, or whether it looked old?

Thanks - I had no idea that's what that building was. What is going on with that thing too? It looks striking to me, and seems to be an ok location, very visible and not far from the Aquarium, Bayou Place, Theatre District, and the entrance to the up & coming Wash. Ave Corridor.

Marmer, I might drive that way home today just to look around for you...

Edit: I drove past there on the way home, and I swear it has to be the Tennison hotel. That is really the only building at that intersection (GHWB Statue, USPS Parking Lot, and old Public Works Building on other three corners). The parking garage is at street level with rectangular openings as marmer said, but its designed with wrought iron lines and leaves, etc. to close the window... I'm convinced.

Edited by CSOM

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know whats going on with that cool looking green glass building near the downtown aquarium? It looked like they where working on some lofts/condo type project and then it was abandoned for quite some time now. I was really interested in the property and thought it would give magnificent views of downtown.

Scott

• Like 1

Thanks - I had no idea that's what that building was. What is going on with that thing too? It looks striking to me, and seems to be an ok location, very visible and not far from the Aquarium, Bayou Place, Theatre District, and the entrance to the up & coming Wash. Ave Corridor.

Marmer, I might drive that way home today just to look around for you...

Edit: I drove past there on the way home, and I swear it has to be the Tennison hotel. That is really the only building at that intersection (GHWB Statue, USPS Parking Lot, and old Public Works Building on other three corners). The parking garage is at street level with rectangular openings as marmer said, but its designed with wrought iron lines and leaves, etc. to close the window... I'm convinced.

Yes, it's the Tennison/One Bayou Park. I took pictures when I was down there last weekend and she positively identified it. The parking garage openings are indeed covered with wrought iron/copper leaves. There are even little arches at the top.

tombstone_bikeride_070015001.jpg

tombstone_bikeride_070014001.jpg

Thanks for all the replies!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I drove by the old hotel today during my lunch hour because I'm curious to know what's going on. There have been workers on site for the past several months. I walked around inside to see if I could spot a sales officer, but nobody was there. It looked like they were in the process of picking out molding for the interior. There were several pieces lined up around the walls. This one kind of intrigues me.

• 6 months later...

Watched that hotel being restored. Saw two people (architecture students?) taking pics one time, before the renovation. Does anyone know why it has never opened? Probably a financial issue.

Watched that hotel being restored. Saw two people (architecture students?) taking pics one time, before the renovation. Does anyone know why it has never opened? Probably a financial issue.

I've noticed recently that they've had various lights on inside the units... it looks like they have fridges, microwaves (you can see the glow of the green clocks on them at night), etc. Why are they sitting empty?

• 4 months later...
I've noticed recently that they've had various lights on inside the units... it looks like they have fridges, microwaves (you can see the glow of the green clocks on them at night), etc. Why are they sitting empty?

There is a banner hanging above what appears to be the parking entrance.....I just caught it out of the corner of my eye, but I think it said now leasing, or now selling....

The website is www.tennisonloft.com but it's not up and running correctly yet...

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone, I moved into the Tennison lofts a couple of months ago and have since become really interested in the history of this building. I've done lots of searching online, but there just doesn't seem to be much. I know it was originally a hotel built in 1922 to serve the train station, and that it was abandoned sometime in the 70s. I've searched for pictures and only seem to be able to find a few. Obviously it wasn't an "important" hotel like the Rice, but it is located in an intriguing little corner of downtown, and I wish there were more about it. Like interior photos, brochures, anything like that. So I was wondering if anyone has any more info on it. Anyone ever stay here when it was hotel? Any pics or recollections? here's a link to a pic:

http://sloanegallery.com/HotelTennison1.jpg

Hello Everyone, I moved into the Tennison lofts a couple of months ago and have since become really interested in the history of this building. I've done lots of searching online, but there just doesn't seem to be much. I know it was originally a hotel built in 1922 to serve the train station, and that it was abandoned sometime in the 70s. I've searched for pictures and only seem to be able to find a few. Obviously it wasn't an "important" hotel like the Rice, but it is located in an intriguing little corner of downtown, and I wish there were more about it. Like interior photos, brochures, anything like that. So I was wondering if anyone has any more info on it. Anyone ever stay here when it was hotel? Any pics or recollections? here's a link to a pic:

http://sloanegallery...elTennison1.jpg

Hello Masoko,

You can call John Tennison at, 210-884-0990, or e - mail him at, tennison@texaspsychiatry.net He is the family historian. I'm sure he could direct you to plenty of sources. Good luck.

Here is a comprehensive history of the Tennison family from their time in Georgia in the early 19th century through their migration to Arkansas and Texas. Scroll down about two-thirds on this web site http://www.tennitex.com/ to find information about the Tennison Hotel. In its day the Tennison may not have been as important as the Rice but its location near the train station means that it probably had some visitors of significance. By the way, best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2010 to everyone.

Does anyone know who owns this building?

My cousin (who is more like a sister to me) and her boyfriend have lived here for a couple of months and are trying to contact the owners with regards to numerous issues.

One of my friends has already moved out (this week actually) of this place because it is so bad.

- The management is a joke. They have the leasing agent serving as the property manager and she is awful, very nice but not very smart.

- Parking (rather lack of parking)

- Cable installation for their apartment was $300 (the building should have had these apartments cable ready)

- The doorbox doesn't work so if you have a package or delivery coming you have to wait out in the lobby to get your delivery or package as there is also no door man

- The only "amenities" this place has is a "gym" with old equipment (I really wouldn't call it a gym as there is no weights or weight system, it is more of a cardio room) and a pool table.

My cousin (who is more like a sister to me) and her boyfriend have lived here for a couple of months and are trying to contact the owners with regards to numerous issues.

Owner Name & Mailing Address:

YAZDCORP FUNDS V LLC

10405 TOWN AND COUNTRY WAY STE 105

HOUSTON TX 77024-1110

Edited by kylejack

More on Yazdcorp:

YAZDCORP FUNDS V LLC

10405 TOWN AND COUNTRY WAY STE 105

HOUSTON, TX 77024-1110

IN GOOD STANDING NOT FOR DISSOLUTION OR WITHDRAWAL through May 17, 2010

Registered Agent:

BOB S YAZDANI-BEIOKY

4669 S.W. FRWY, SUITE 730

HOUSTON, TX 77027

DIRECTOR:

CAROLYN YAZDANI-BEIOKY

9303 TOWN PARK

HOUSTON , TX 77036

State of Formation:

TX

File Number:

SOS Registration Date:

September 30, 2002

Taxpayer Number:

One of my friends has already moved out (this week actually) of this place because it is so bad.

- The management is a joke. They have the leasing agent serving as the property manager and she is awful, very nice but not very smart.

- Parking (rather lack of parking)

- Cable installation for their apartment was $300 (the building should have had these apartments cable ready)

- The doorbox doesn't work so if you have a package or delivery coming you have to wait out in the lobby to get your delivery or package as there is also no door man

- The only "amenities" this place has is a "gym" with old equipment (I really wouldn't call it a gym as there is no weights or weight system, it is more of a cardio room) and a pool table.

Interesting, I haven't had any of those issues with the exception of the gym, which does need work. In fact I'm really loving it here. I don't have a TV though, so I can't speak to that issue.