Dunkin' Donuts'

Went for some coffee this a.m. and noted that a sign on the window stated that they were closing this month with the last serving day being October 24. I remember my dad taking me there when I was about 3-4 years old. As trivial as it seems, I'm a bit sadddened and hate to see a long time building, landmark or establishment close it's doors. Not sure why it is closing, but my guess is that it has something to do with land values or rent. Long time patrons might remember the rotating bar stools and the glass window to the right as you walked in, where you could watch them hammer out the donuts.

Is this the one by the post office?

It has to be. The only two Dunkin's I know of on the west side of town are that one and one on hwy 6 in Copperfield. A year or two ago I heard DD was making a major expansion into the Houston market. Nothing seems to have come of that.

It has to be. The only two Dunkin's I know of on the west side of town are that one and one on hwy 6 in Copperfield. A year or two ago I heard DD was making a major expansion into the Houston market. Nothing seems to have come of that.

There's also one of FM1960 west of I45.

Dunkin Donuts finally admitted that they were fighting a losing battle against the much superior Shipley Donuts.

Hopefully they'll start making good donuts at the old Dunkin Donuts building...move a Shipley in.

Not sure why, but I am not a huge fan of Shipley's. I think they're fried in lard (are all donuts?). They also have a weird aftertaste.

• 5 months later...

According to b4-u-eat.com the Bellaire location is being remodeled and will re-open in a couple of months as Dunkin again. The owner also owns the BR next door.

According to b4, the only Dunkin still open for business in Houston now is the one on Wayside.

According to b4-u-eat.com the Bellaire location is being remodeled and will re-open in a couple of months as Dunkin again. The owner also owns the BR next door.

According to b4, the only Dunkin still open for business in Houston now is the one on Wayside.

There is one on HWY 6 in Cooperfiled. And I think there is on on I-45 North somewhere.

Whatever happened to Houston getting 100's of new Donkin' Donuts?

I wish. Never been a Shipley fan. Plus DD has way better coffee. 

I'll take Shipley's any day for donuts and kolaches, Dunkin for coffee or breakfast sandwiches.

I like Dunkin's concept better than Shipley's. The atmosphere in Shipley's is dull while Dunkin's is more planned out uniform. As far as donuts, I like the both in their own way, but Shipley's are easier to eat and you probably eat more of them. Other than the Donuts I would say everything else is better at Dunkin.

I think that it would be great if the Canadian chain similar to Dunkin called Tim Hortons came to the Houston Area. I have never been to one, but I know that competition makes everything better and with Dunkin sitting stagnate and Krispy Kreme gone, Shipley's has no chain competition. http://www.timhortons.com/us/en/index.html

Patel, owner of two Dunkin’ Donuts franchises, for 18 years on FM 1960 near the North Freeway, and for eight years in a location in Pasadena, heard of the chain’s exit from Bellaire in October after the franchise’s previous owner, Henry Tsao, left the location due to demands by the company to renovate the store at 5406 Bellaire Blvd.

Patel hired Level Construction to quickly overhaul the building, which has been gutted and includes plans for a new roof and air conditioning system, along with the standard restaurant equipment.

“I heard they were closing that store and I called the corporate office right away,” Patel told The Examiner. “We don’t have that many Dunkin’ Donuts close to the city, so I asked if I could re-open that one. If we close all the stores in Houston, we have no market.

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/04/01/bellaire_examiner/news/be_dunkin_back.txt

• 1 year later...

Although its great that the Bellaire location was saved, Houston did lose the location on Wayside. That one was my local DD. Someone did purchase the store, but renamed it "Dunk Donuts". I'm thinking that they lost their license or something because that location was always crowded. I heard stuff about DD corporate revoking licenses for certain locations based on certain criteria.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived