Do HAIFers live the way they post?

HP Visits  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you visited Houston Pavilions?

• Zero
    • Too many to count
  2. 2. How many times have you visited Discovery Green?

• zero
    • Too many to count
  3. 3. In the future, I see myself visiting these places...

• not at all
    • every now and then
    • often
    • one of my main shopping/entertainment destinations

Many HAIFers get very excited about Houston's big projects, so I was wondering if those who get excited about them actually visit them, and how often.

I'd like the answers to be visits to actually use the facility, like eating or playing in the park or actually doing some shopping, not just strolling through to see how they're doing.

Edited by lockmat

I suppose one problem with Pavilions is parking. Sometimes you can park for free in surrounding streets (after hours, weekends) but often there's no space available so you're relegated to the attached garage, which charges like ten bucks I think. Maybe HP could start validating, or partial validating?

Its no problem for me living downtown, but I would guess that would be a problem for people coming from elsewhere. If I pay ten bucks to park somewhere, I want it to be an all-night kind of thing. Once the bowling alley opens, maybe it will be. Bowl, eat dinner, go for drinks.

Edited by kylejack

I work right next to Discovery Green and live only 6 blocks from it. I go there often. Every Sunday (except this month) I am there for the Farmer's Market.

I live 3 blocks from Houston Pavilions and have only been there maybe 8 times. Mostly of which was to eat at HOB (which I don't really care for) or Guadalajara. I have been in the book store once, will not go back. I asked to purchase a book they had in stock in their store at their internet price (was $10.00 cheaper on their own website) and they refused. Amazon had it cheaper anyways.

I never got a chance to go in Lids. I am pretty sure I would have purchased something from there. But the main reason I don't really visit the Pavilions is there just isn't any retail for men (Forever 21 is cheap crap, and their mens section is a joke)

I can't wait for the Mia Bella's to open at the Pavilions!!!

I visit the park every once in a while - convenient if I take the rail or happen to be in the area. Some of the events there are neat, too.

HP - I've been there maybe twice and was totally unimpressed. Of course the minimal number of tenants doesn't help (places I wouldn't normally shop anyhow), but I didn't particularly enjoy the layout, either. I was excited about the bowling alley at first, but that kind of bowling really isn't my scene. I'll stick to Palace. All in all, it's not a "pleasantly built" place to me, nor is there anywhere I would shop, so...blah on HP for me.

Just went and saw Kiki Melendez and Hot Tamales Live! on Saturday night at HOB. It was very good show... much better than I expected. I'm not use to famale comics being raunchy like that ;). This was also my first experience with HOB's "foundation room"... kinda creepy. It felt like a swingers' club for straight people.

As far as Pavilions for shopping, only place I've actually spent money there is Books-a-Million. Yeah, Forever XXI ain't exactly my style.

I was at Disco G on Sunday for the Jazz Fest... I've eaten at The Lake House like once, but haven't tried The Grove yet. Also I took my car on Sat. to the comedy show, but rode the rail from my church to downtown on Sunday, then took the 40 back home.

Discovery Green is one of my dog's favorite places, so we go there a lot. Attempted to go there last night, but failed to realize that the jazz festival was there, and it was more crowded than I've ever seen it with no on-street parking to be had, so we opted for the trail along Allen Parkway instead.

I have close to zero interest in most of the places at Houston Pavilions. Books-A-Million pretty much sucks, even though I'm happy to see a bookstore open anywhere these days. About the only place I can see going to there is HOB - I was supposed to go to the New York Dolls show there a couple of months ago but got sick and didn't make it.

I've been to DG many times, and the Pavilions only once. It was kinda lame when I went.

My usual hangout is the museum district and Hermann park, along with the Sabine to Bagby Promenade.

I have been to Houston Pavilions several times but not sure how many times exactly... definitely more than 4 and i plan to go more with more things opening there. As for Discovery Green... been there many many times and will continue to go in the future... it's a great park.

• Like 1

Been to both for several events and activities.

Pavilions has an image problem from the public ROW, but that will soothe itself over time. It's technocentric intersection crossings do invite interest but the detailing and finishes leaves one to think that the developer was "scared" to venture out of the double loaded corridor scheme of malls. If he was going to do the scheme they executed, why did they not just buy up the land on either side of a street and use the street frontage and have the city maintain the walkways? Instead it is a hybrid tunnel system in that it's an outdoor yet reclusive retail center in nature. Rare bird, I guess with time it's present design will be the hidden hand towards renovation work which could be very interesting if downtown continues on it's current cultural trajectory.

• Like 1

If HP had full occupancy, you would feel like you had found a diamond in the rough when you stepped inside the inner walkway. I think it could be really effective. As it is its just damned depressing.

If HP had full occupancy, I would feel like I had found Memorial City mall, except without the free parking.

I've been to HP, and don't care for it. It's not bad, but I personally find it an unappealing execution of what started out as an ambitious and exciting project. I do consider House of Blues a destination discrete from HP, if that makes sense. While I would go to HoB, I would not go shopping or eating at the adjacent mall. I live close by, and would visit if I were more excited by the restuaruants or stores. As it is, there's nothing to make me say 'wow, that sounds different, I must try it.'

Discovery Green, OTOH, is great! So, yes, I would consider my posts concurrent with my experiences.

Discovery green exceeded my expectations. I mostly use it as a starting and ending point when biking but I could see spending more time there once it cools down.

HP doesn't interest me, but then again I'm not a mall person anyway. I was really hoping for something more organic in appearance, with shops facing the street. I don't enjoy walking through a shopping cave (or crevice in the case of HP).

Been to each locale many times. Love the park. HP seemed design deficient in my opinion. West Ave seems to be getting the whole 'build 3 blocks' concept correct. But the HOB is doing well, and I do enjoy that spot, plus the bowling and dueling piano bar will help make it a decent entertainment destination.

But the HOB is doing well, and I do enjoy that spot, plus the bowling and dueling piano bar will help make it a decent entertainment destination.

anyone know why the piano bar opens at 7? we tried to go a few days ago for happy hr and it was closed.