George R. Brown Convention Center Hotel: East Of Highway 59

lockmat

Possibly. Then again, the plan is to deck over the trench, so they could build on the air rights. As it is, that freeway proposal is the most ridiculous idea I've ever seen - 28 lanes of guaranteed congestion, right in the heart of Houston. :blink:

You mean as opposed to the guaranteed congestion that we have now?

Let's keep that talk in the transpo section, where it can be rightfully challenged.

They were at the southeast corner of Brooks and N Main. The light rail bridge just north of UH-D currently occupies the land now. You can probably see them on Google Earth timelapse.

Cool.  Thanks.

It's fair to note, however, that your story about tearing them down "literally just a few months" after they were built appear to be false.  According to the pictures on Google Earth timelapse, the first two townhouses were built at least as early as 2003. The other two were built by 2006.  They were all four still there at least as late as February 2010.

• Like 2

Cool. Thanks.

It's fair to note, however, that your story about tearing them down "literally just a few months" after they were built appear to be false. According to the pictures on Google Earth timelapse, the first two townhouses were built at least as early as 2003. The other two were built by 2006. They were all four still there at least as late as February 2010.

Oh wow. Didn't feel like that long. Even my relatives that live there thought it was only a few months. I'm on vacation right now so I can't check out Google Maps for myself but it felt like they weren't there that long. I don't even remember people living in them, maybe that's why I felt so short lived. Oh well. Facts are facts.

Cool.  Thanks.

It's fair to note, however, that your story about tearing them down "literally just a few months" after they were built appear to be false.  According to the pictures on Google Earth timelapse, the first two townhouses were built at least as early as 2003. The other two were built by 2006.  They were all four still there at least as late as February 2010.

Wow I was flat out wrong. Got on Google earth on my laptop and sure enough, they were there for a while. Guess my memory doesn't serve me well then. Correct me here, but perhaps what I am actually thinking of is that they built these back in 2003 or whatever and soon afterwards the new red line was approved by the voters. Of course, demolition took a little while after.....

• The title was changed to Convention Center Hotel: East Of Highway 59
  • The title was changed to George R. Brown Convention Center Hotel: East Of Highway 59