GRB Vs. Reliant Center

Is this more of a CoH vs Harris County/Rodeo/Texans convention battle?

Has anyone compared these two different venues in terms of how many conventions/year etc? Reliant does seem to fit any criteria the CoH has said it needs for bigger conventions (hotel rooms).

It seems like this astrodome proposal will hurt the GRBs business.

Is there enough room for two competing convention centers?

Well one thing is the  George R Brown is about to have tons of hotel rooms, which Relaint lacks. Also a cool park. And proximity to many companies,entertainment options, pro sports, and restaurants also.

Both are near rail.

I do imagine the rodeo will get much use of it for three weeks.

There are already two competing convention centers because Reliant draws some of that business even before the Astroodome proposal. I don't really see them as particularly competitive with each other though because the structure of the two facilities is so different. I would expect that Reliant will continue to host a small number of really large events with the balance going to GRB.

Houston gets a pretty small percentage of the overall convention business, so I think that this potentially raises the overall draw of the city in general.

I have always found that reliant seems to draw conventions that locals would attend (outside of OTC) like car shows, bridal shows, home and garden stuff, where the GRB seems to nab more of the stuff that brings in people from out of town who are attending the convention.

Yes, they have a gun show every weekend at GRB, which is more local crowd, but for the most part, they seem to segregate along those lines.

I have always found that reliant seems to draw conventions that locals would attend (outside of OTC) like car shows, bridal shows, home and garden stuff, where the GRB seems to nab more of the stuff that brings in people from out of town who are attending the convention.

Yes, they have a gun show every weekend at GRB, which is more local crowd, but for the most part, they seem to segregate along those lines.

Good observation, it does seem that way

• The title was changed to GRB Vs. Reliant Center

Archived