The Heights Theater At 339 W. 19th St.

Heightsite

I don't think there will be any licensing restrictions for the bars; the Torchy's across the street is the first location to have a full service bar.

Torchy's is a private club.  They swipe your driver's license when you get booze (at least when the poorly trained staff remembers to do that).  The Heights theater is squarely in the dry zone.

Private club license requires that the club have adequate food service for its members.  Down House, Shade, and Torchy's are easily able to meet that as they are primarily restaurants.  I have never seen anyone try to pull that off with an entertainment venue.  The floor plan shown in the variance application does have space for a kitchen.  So, I guess they are aware of the issue and are going to offer some sort of food service.  But how does a theater have adequate food service for the 300 people who show up to watch a band?

Torchy's is a private club.  They swipe your driver's license when you get booze (at least when the poorly trained staff remembers to do that).  The Heights theater is squarely in the dry zone.

Private club license requires that the club have adequate food service for its members.  Down House, Shade, and Torchy's are easily able to meet that as they are primarily restaurants.  I have never seen anyone try to pull that off with an entertainment venue.  The floor plan shown in the variance application does have space for a kitchen.  So, I guess they are aware of the issue and are going to offer some sort of food service.  But how does a theater have adequate food service for the 300 people who show up to watch a band?

A private club license merely requires that the establishment offer meals. In theory it could be sandwiches from a vending machine.

A private club license merely requires that the establishment offer meals. In theory it could be sandwiches from a vending machine.

(g) The club must provide regular food service adequate for its members and their guests.

TABC probably would not look into whether the food service was "adequate" unless the application was a complete joke as far as making a good faith effort to comply with the regulation. But when neighbors start complaining, the food service issue could be a pretext to get the permit denied. I believe with Gelazzi, parking was argued as a basis for denying the license. I do not know whether it was outcome determinative, but I would not want to risk it if it was my money backing the theater.

Good to see that the planning commission did the right thing. There is hope in this city after all.

Arguably Gelazzi falls short of the requirement unless they serve something beyond ice cream.

That said, even without the requirements for private club licenses, it's not at all uncommon for venues of this size to offer food (such as it is) as well as drinks. I'd imagine some of the shows could be set up cabaret-style.

• 1 month later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/10/historic-heights-theater-gets-a-new-owner.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_houston+%28Houston+Business+Journal%29

Cabaniss, who is known for redeveloping the Kessler Theater in Dallas, plans to reopen the storied Heights theater by mid-2016 and will host various events, such as concerts, weddings, and art openings, at the property.

• 2 months later...

1024x1024.jpg

The red-and-white Art Moderne sign outside the Heights Theater has been a constant on 19th Street since not long after the theater opened in 1929. Inside the mostly gutted space, only a bulky projector, red marquee letters stored away, and parts of the patchwork floor and its partially charred walls are original.

Since it screened its first silent western for 20 cents a ticket, the theater has served as a movie house, event space, antique store and art gallery. Now, construction crews will soon begin work to bring the Heights Theater into its next phase.

Under the ownership of entrepreneur Edwin Cabaniss, the building on a buzzing strip of the Heights will put on concerts, screen independent films and hold community events, such as poetry readings and weddings.

Cabaniss had his eye on the building for several years as he searched for a historic renovation project. He is known for reopening the Kessler Theater in an up-and-coming Dallas neighborhood, Oak Cliff, in 2010 after a $1 million renovation. He turned the art deco movie house into a similar concept he envisions for the Heights space.

"You've got this building that is kind of a blank canvas," he said. "You can feel the warmth, the historical vibe. It's definitely not a country club."

The Kessler was Cabaniss' first major commercial historic renovation project after he spent decades as a trader, stockbroker and investment management consultant in Dallas and New York City. He retired early and began taking on small historic renovation projects, such as small houses in Dallas, before he purchased the Kessler, which made its debut in 1942 as a single-screen movie theater. The renovated art deco theater opened in 2010 and has been attracting musical acts such as Hayes Carll, Billy Joe Shaver, Radney Foster and Slaid Cleaves.

Cabaniss, who lives in Dallas, began looking for his next project after the success of the Kessler two or three years ago, he said. He studied Austin, Oklahoma City, San Antonio and Houston. He thought the Heights Theater was so perfect, he visited the current owners, who were not ready to sell at the time.

"When I came across 19th Street I said, 'Wow, this is it,'" he said.

His search continued until earlier this year. Cabaniss was on a trip in Ireland with his wife. The news hit his email: The building was up for sale, it wasn't being listed, and there were already five competitive offers on the table. He immediately fired off emails to get more information.

Owners Gus and Sharon Kopriva had operated the space as an art gallery and event space for 25 years. The couple sought the landmark status to make sure the property was protected before it was sold.

"The theater has always been an icon of the Heights," Kopriva told the Chronicle earlier this year. "It was important to us to make sure it was preserved."

Cabaniss gulped when he saw the asking price, which he declined to share because of a nondisclosure agreement.

In addition to a competitive bid, Cabaniss thought he would let the owners know what he planned for the space. He hoped his passion for the building and for historic renovation would give him an edge. He guessed the couple wouldn't want their beloved space to become a commercialized property.

"I took a gamble. I assumed that these people had the same kind of kindred spirit I had. They are artisans who didn't want to see it as a commercialized storefront," he said.

His original draft to the couple was five pages long. He edited that down to a one-page letter listing his promises for the space. He said he was committed to preservation, to community and to excellence.

"I understand the special role that a historic theater can have not only in commemorating the past but also in being part of the future of a neighborhood," Cabaniss wrote. "I will take time to introduce myself to community members and civic leaders, to get to know them and what's important to the neighborhood."

Cabaniss envisions the Heights Theater, like the Kessler, holding events ranging from concerts and plays to weddings, memorial services and fundraisers. He's already had a social hour with his new neighbors at a restaurant on 19th.

Mark Austin, manager of several local acts including The Tontons and the Suffers, is helping Cabaniss navigate the local music scene as a consultant. He's been helping post videos of local artists over the last few months playing in the yet-to-be-completed space, a nod to the new owner's hope to incorporate the local music scene. He said some artists prefer spaces like the Kessler and the Heights Theater, with acoustics and a more intimate feel.

"This street is dead at night. And now there will be something new and open at night," Austin said. "Can you imagine living near here? It's going to be cool."

The multimillion-dollar project will include gutting much of the space. Cabaniss is working through the state's historic tax credit process, which requires him to dig into the history of the space. He will be required to maintain original elements of the interior, such as the floor and the walls. Most of the space inside will be gutted and rebuilt to look like a theater. The exterior, including the sign, will remain as is. As a city landmark, the Heights Theater will receive a tax abatement for 15 years.

He said char marks on the walls pay homage to the events leading up to a 1960s-era arson that followed protests over "adult movies" that were shown at the time. The Spanish-tile floor shows the original design as Mission-style and the projector resting in the middle of the space will be displayed in some capacity as a reminder of the theater's original use.

"The history of this place is what makes it special," Cabaniss said. "I see this opportunity in Houston. I feel like it's going to work."

The space should be open by next fall.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/A-new-vision-for-vintage-Heights-Theater-building-6723919.php#photo-9170958

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Tonight is opening night.  Programming basically mirrors what the owner offers at his Kessler theater in Oak Cliff.  It will be interesting to see if programming stays that way or whether it evolves to offer anything family friendly or outside of the folk/blues/indy rock that seems to be their wheelhouse.  

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if there is still a lingering smell from the stink bomb that was thrown in the theater in 58, it made the perfect setting for watching a couple monster movies back then.  There was once a seedy pool hall just a couple doors down towards the west, and back the opposite direction there was a large 5 and dime store same side of the street.  I could find a heck of a lot of junk to buy for a quarter in those days  '0)

• The title was changed to Heights Theatre At 339 W. 19th St.
  • The title was changed to The Heights Theater At 339 W. 19th St.

Archived