My offensive avatars

editor

I recently changed my avatar and found out something I didn't realize -- it's offensive. And so was the one before.

Ordinarily this isn't the sort of thing a HAIFer should have to explain, but since I am the administrator here and the public face of HAIF, I should probably say something. This wouldn't be the first time I've offended people and not realized it.

The avatars are the characters from the old British television program Father Ted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ted).

The first one (the clueless looking priest) was Father Dougal, whom my wife says I very closely resemble (in thought and deed, not in looks).

father_dougal_150x150.jpg

The more recent one was Father Jack, my personal favorite character on the show.

father_jack_hackett.JPG

If you have a Netflix account, I recommend getting Father Ted. It's really good stuff if you like British comedies.

It's funny that out of context the characters could seem offensive to some. Those who know the show find them very lovable. One character did advertisements for the British government, and there are towns in Ireland that fight over bragging rights to being the town where the show was set. But I guess if you're not familiar with the show, they can seem insulting (Glad I didn't use the Hispanic priest yet!)

I'll pick a new avatar soon. Not because I think it was wrong to use the Father Ted characters in the first place, but because people on the internet are so sensitive that if they're even slightly offended (even if they're wrong) they tend to simply surf somewhere else. The last thing I want to do is drive people away from HAIF.

If you have any avatar suggestions, post them here. I'm partial to stuff from the 80's. But I'm still open to anything.

I watch a lot of British television & movies because many of my close relations (family & friends) are British & Canadian, so I am very familiar with the humor...It is very different from our own, here in the U.S., maybe that has something to do with it, as well. (I can understand why some are offended from a religious point of view). Better luck next time, editor. Hope no one is offended by my vampire.

Wow, kind of a shame if people were offended by those avatars without actually knowing what they were. I don't watch much British comedy, so I had no idea either, but by my amazing powers of deductions I figured it was from something I didn't know of and not Editor making a statement of any sort about priests in general. I guess I see how they could be offended to some whom take stuff literally and always look for the worst in everything, but still, gotta be a line.

Maybe its cause I'm not easily offended. Just last night I was laughing the night away watching Lisa Lampanelli insult every gender, sexual orientation race, and creed. :lol:

Every time I saw the confused priest I knew, without seeing anything else, that it was a post by Editor... good ole days are gone.

Just my 2

I found the father/priest amazed look as funny... Period. :D Someone once commented that I should remove the bullfighter avatar I once had because they said it represented cruelty to animals. I left it on for months of course. The drama/hilarity shall continue it seems. :lol:

I found the father/priest amazed look as funny... Period. :D Someone once commented that I should remove the bullfighter avatar I once had because they said it represented cruelty to animals. I left it on for months of course. The drama/hilarity shall continue it seems. :lol:

Is your current avatar from Blackadder?

Is your current avatar from Blackadder?

That is an image from an upcoming film based on historical events that occured during King Philip II' s reign. Not yet released in US and I wait anxiously. :blush:

Synopsis: In the late 16th Century, in the Court of Philip II, the House of Alba is fighting to regain the Kings favour and displace the rival faction of the House of Mendoza, led by the Princess of

Mrs Doyle: Now come on Father, what would you say to a nice cup of tea?

Jack: FECK OFF CUP!!!!!!

Father Jack is my favorite, too. When I saw you'd changed from Dougal to Jack, I really wanted to reply on some random thread and say "I love my brick!" Decided it was too random & off topic, though. Who knew they'd get their very own thread?! ^_^

Having never watched Father Ted, I just assumed those were pictures of your actual self and you were in fact a priest moonlighting as an editor. :P

How the hell could any sane person be offended by those? I would have told them to go to you know where and booted them from the site for being retarded.

How the hell could any sane person be offended by those? I would have told them to go to you know where and booted them from the site for being retarded.

Best response yet! :lol:

PS, I am Roman Catholic am not in the least offended. That means they must have hated when I had Mary Catherine Gallagher (Superstar) as an avatar, someone got mad too? Oh brother.

I don't know...I guess it offended Catholics. Advise: don't be afraid of everything because it can offend, just stay away from things that may be offensive religiously, morally, or politically.

Hard core Roman Catholic here, and not offended by them. I didn't ask the religions of the people who brought it to my attention.

I always thought it was a picture of Tucker Carlson in a collar. :huh:

EDIT: I wonder if the complainers are now beet red with embarrassment, now that your apology has turned into a page long rant against hypersensitive twits. I think I may change my avatar to Buddy Jesus in protest.

Who would be offended by that? It's almost like many being offended that the MLS Hurricanes chose "Houston 1836" as their new name when they moved here (and were then forced to change the name, and now are The Dynamo).

French & Saunders are my personal favorites for British comedians...they are hilarious, they make fun of everyone, they do a funny skit on Star Wars characters, and a spoof on that "Most Haunted" ghost show.

Too bad about the avatar...well, you know how some people are about the subjects of religion & politics.

Archived