GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Examples....

Competent, but certainly won't be making it into any architecture books: Hobby Center, cathedral, Beck, Reliant HP, downtown Hilton.

Truly painfully bad: Civil Courts and the architecturally significant parking garage.

But we digress from the topic at hand...

But this is Houston 2008. There is very much a possibility ours could break that tradition because doing so would be cheaper. Never underestimate the mediocre underachieving tone that is set in current day Houston.

Yeah, Houston's House of Blues is looking more like House of Snooze or House of Blows, architecturally.

BTW -- the "signature location" in LA on Sunset does NOT look like a tin box. It looks like a Little Woodrow's or some kind of tiny Cajun shack. You go in early and it's just a small room with a bar, with a curious seam running across the floor. Then, at show time, the whole upstairs swings open on hydraulics, exposing the stage and seating/dancing areas. The "tiny shack" you were just in has instantly become the balcony for a 1000-seat show club. It's very cool to see it happen.

I'll bet Houston's doesn't do that. I'll also bet the exterior will remain as you see it now, albeit with a neon sign, so people wont confuse it with a parking garage, storage units or AT&T building.

Edited by dalparadise

Yeah, Houston's House of Blues is looking more like House of Snooze or House of Blows, architecturally.

BTW -- the "signature location" in LA on Sunset does NOT look like a tin box. It looks like a Little Woodrow's or some kind of tiny Cajun shack. You go in early and it's just a small room with a bar, with a curious seam running across the floor. Then, at show time, the whole upstairs swings open on hydraulics, exposing the stage and seating/dancing areas. The "tiny shack" you were just in has instantly become the balcony for a 1000-seat show club. It's very cool to see it happen.

I'll bet Houston's doesn't do that. I'll also bet the exterior will remain as you see it now, albeit with a neon sign, so people wont confuse it with a parking garage, storage units or AT&T building.

OMG LOL WTF!!!!

You people crack me up... SERIOUSLY. Stop playing the "woe is me" card for Houston. This city has got some phenomenal designs... I have no problem with HOB, as I haven't seen the inside yet, but I'm not going to pass judgement on it before it even has a chance. Some of you heifas are so dissatisfied with this city... maybe you should just move somewhere else.

New and final ones. Doesn't look that bad to me, but people complain for anything.

Nah, people see the ROW and know that there's a higher standard, as opposed to stackin' em' deep and selling 'em cheap.

I've been to a few different HOBs for shows, and I've driven past ours at least once a week for the past 6 months of building. There ain't no magic stage.

Move around the country, or the world, a little, and you will quickly see why some of us are sick of apologizing for crap design in a city of this size and importance.

I may be the exception, but I think the version shown in the original rendering exhibits an unheard-of level of suckitude! The blue "fanfare" or whatever it purports to be is absolutely horrendous. It reminds me of everything that is bad with the Marq-E center. I would prefer the attempted industrial design of the current rendering anyday.

I think more to the point is that it is clear that asthetics is subjective and the more one group demands to be pleased in one fashion, another groups revolts against them.

It's kind of like politics.

To a degree, yes. But just saying that aesthetics is subjective can amount to throwing up one's arms and refusing to admit that anything can be good or bad and that everything is equal and that we oughtn't therefore make any judgments. Some buildings do stand the test of time and are recognized as great or at least good. This is (nominally at least) an architecture board. We should be making those assessments and arguing them.

I don't think I will put a lot of stock in this article that spells Dining with two n's and mentions Carolina Street instead of Caroline. Something up with this.

Take that up with the House of Blues. It is their website, and their renderings.

I don't think I will put a lot of stock in this article that spells Dining with two n's and mentions Carolina Street instead of Caroline. Something up with this.

Sounds like wishful thinking. The renderings on the site look a lot like the current state of the actual building. Not sure why it's so hard to believe that they are correct.

If that's the final design, I'm down. It's not out of this world, but it seems pretty obvious they're going for the warehouse/urban look and if that's true, they succeeded.

One thing that no one has mentioned so far. HOB was sold to Live Nation in 2006. I'm guessing that the scaled back design probably has a lot more to do with the change in ownership than any particular disrespect for Houston.

One thing that no one has mentioned so far. HOB was sold to Live Nation in 2006. I'm guessing that the scaled back design probably has a lot more to do with the change in ownership than any particular disrespect for Houston.

That's interesting. I knew that Live Nation owned/presented the events, but I had no idea they were in the business of actually owning and operating the venues.

The House of Blues looks like the best part of this entire project. The office "lofts" are blah. The rest of the shopping arcade is dull. So, with a low bar set, the HOB comes out on top...

I know that HOB has changed from the original renderings, but I thought that the rest of the project was being executed as planned. Am I missing something?

The House of Blues looks like the best part of this entire project. The office "lofts" are blah. The rest of the shopping arcade is dull. So, with a low bar set, the HOB comes out on top...

amen.

i just find it hard to believe that this was the best the developer could come up with on 3 prime blocks of downtown space.

There seems to be an serious overabundance of bars, restaurants and 'upscale lounges' in HP relative to retail. It's hard enough to support that many bars and restaurants clustered together when you have them at street level, with an appealing street scene between destinations. Having them inside a mall next to 'Lids' makes them even less inviting.

How many different $15 martini places inside one mall are people going to visit in a single trip? I smell some short life spans.

There seems to be an serious overabundance of bars, restaurants and 'upscale lounges' in HP relative to retail. It's hard enough to support that many bars and restaurants clustered together when you have them at street level, with an appealing street scene between destinations. Having them inside a mall next to 'Lids' makes them even less inviting.

How many different $15 martini places inside one mall are people going to visit in a single trip? I smell some short life spans.

My opinion is that everything about HP to this point looks like its designed to be an entertainment center for the GRB. If you want to drive convention traffic, they have to have someplace to go in the evenings.

It's going to be a bit difficult getting serious retail establishments to set up Downtown right now... give it some time... as the resident population of Downtown increases (as it has been) and more and more people visit and stay Downtown better retail will set up shop. Downtown is ONLY going to get better... it's just not going to happen overnight.

It's going to be a bit difficult getting serious retail establishments to set up Downtown right now... give it some time... as the resident population of Downtown increases (as it has been) and more and more people visit and stay Downtown better retail will set up shop. Downtown is ONLY going to get better... it's just not going to happen overnight.

Don't jinx us, your optimism will make Macy's close! :P