Victory Park In Dallas

elecpharm

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the pics. Don't know about the Giant TV screens.

Seems like they are trying too hard to be like a certain other city, they should just be themselves.

Dallas is not the only city out of the "certain other city" you are alluding to that is putting up this stuff. Right now this is one of the first major developments in this region to come to frutition with these large screens. Our firm works on a retail developments internationally (not on Victory) and we have projects in L.A., Houston, Chicago, Miami (for the U.S cities) that are using these type of screens in their developments. Billboards on the buildings themselves are the less expensive version (Honda Civic) while the video screens are the "Rolls Royce" version. Essentially developers are looking for ways to get more graphics on the buildings in retail developments or highly visible areas because of another opportunity to generate revenue for the project. Has nothing to do with one city trying to be another. It has worked in NYC, Hong Kong, Singapore, London, Tokyo and many other places. So American developers are just looking for new ways to incorporate this into projects many times seeking special use permits or variances to get them past the city.

Thanks for the pics. Don't know about the Giant TV screens.

Seems like they are trying too hard to be like a certain other city, they should just be themselves.

So what? London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, New York and Chicago have digital screens. Dallas and Houston can't have them? Large outdoor TVs and graphics only belong in other cities? That's an awfully sad world you live in.

Imagine a world where no one built a skyscraper because it could be like another city. Or no had street lights -- after all, another city has that. If cities like Dallas (and Houston) don't keep up with the times, we'll be nothing in a few years. I like the screens. I hope the Houston Pavillons can incorporate them.

So what? London, Hong Kong, Tokyo, New York and Chicago have digital screens. Dallas and Houston can't have them? Large outdoor TVs and graphics only belong in other cities? That's an awfully sad world you live in.

Imagine a world where no one built a skyscraper because it could be like another city. Or no had street lights -- after all, another city has that. If cities like Dallas (and Houston) don't keep up with the times, we'll be nothing in a few years. I like the screens. I hope the Houston Pavillons can incorporate them.

It was my opinion that these huge screens are a bit gaudy(let me check.....yeah I'm still entitled to my opinion <_< ) . I'm sure there are better ways of "keeping with the times" than doing what everyone else is doing. The electronic billboards are hardy up there with skyscrapers or even street lights. I'm sure that civilization will survive. They're TV screens, get over it kid :lol: .

That's an awfully sad world you live in.
believe me, my world is far from sad or little :lol:

I couldn't have said it better myself. They're freakin' TV screens. And if TV screens are this big of a deal for you, your world is indeed sad and very little.

Hey kid your the one taking this a bit too far with the personal attacks. I just said I don't like them.....Booh hoo that's my opinion it's not the end of the world and society won't crumble and my little world will still be happy :D . If you have anything else to say to me you can just PM me....this "discussion" is over on my end

Now I'm off to watch some freakin TV ;)

Times Square Dallas looks nice.

I think Houston is definetley ready for its own version of this. I can think of a few places that would be perfect:

1. Westheimer & Poast Oak

2. Downtown - Main Street and Prairie

3. A new development on the old Astroworld site (It's prime property. Can you imagine tailgaiting before an event, or drinks at a bar/loung after an event on that site?)

As for those who think that a city is trying to be like another city by envisioning/actually going forward with an idea like this, I would submit to you that you should look at who's behind these types of projects. In the City of Dallas' case, the City doesn't own the property comprised in the Victory development. The property is owned by private individuals/corporations that have little to no objective other than making money (as I'm sure would be the casse in Houston). If they decide that a moving electronic bilboard will help them sell more advertising space, as opposed to a static print bilboard, then you can't fault them for that. Additionally, you can't attribute that individual/corporation's decision to increase profits, to the city that their development project is located in. Cities like Dallas and Houston should be happy that they have people/corporations willing to invest in their boundaries. . .after all, a city is no better than it's citizens (corporate or individual). This is just some food for thought. I know that a lot of forumers here think that I like to give Houstonians a hard time. However, what you all fail to realize is that I consider myself a Houstonian, too. I truly only want the best for Houston. But, Houston will never reach its full potential as long as Houstonians downgrade everything good in another city, that Houston could actually reinvent and do better. We have to be willing to embrace new ideas, even if they have already been thought of. Why? beacause the firey spirit that lies within Houstonians can be the catalyst that will improve on those ideas and make them better. Houston is home of NASA, the Astrodome, 2 retractable roof stadiums. . .need I say more. Let's smbrace that spirit, and open our minds to all possibilities. Only then will Houston be all that she can be.

Don't forget, though, that it all starts with you exercising your right to vote. Come this November, I challenge all forumers that read this post to vote in November. . . no matter how trivial you think the candidates or the issues are. That's where we begin to take control over this city. Otherwise, we're just anonymous posters on an internet message board that will make little to no difference at all!

GO HOUSTON!!!

3. A new development on the old Astroworld site (It's prime property. Can you imagine tailgaiting before an event, or drinks at a bar/loung after an event on that site?)

BAD IDEA JEANS

Astroworld site is a good location for a car dealership or Wal-Mart.

I think Houston is definetley ready for its own version of this. I can think of a few places that would be perfect:

They've already got one at the Astroworld site. It's right on Kirby and 610.

As for those who think that a city is trying to be like another city by envisioning/actually going forward with an idea like this, I would submit to you that you should look at who's behind these types of projects. In the City of Dallas' case, the City doesn't own the property comprised in the Victory development. The property is owned by private individuals/corporations that have little to no objective other than making money (as I'm sure would be the casse in Houston). If they decide that a moving electronic bilboard will help them sell more advertising space, as opposed to a static print bilboard, then you can't fault them for that. Additionally, you can't attribute that individual/corporation's decision to increase profits, to the city that their development project is located in. Cities like Dallas and Houston should be happy that they have people/corporations willing to invest in their boundaries. . .after all, a city is no better than it's citizens (corporate or individual). This is just some food for thought. I know that a lot of forumers here think that I like to give Houstonians a hard time. However, what you all fail to realize is that I consider myself a Houstonian, too. I truly only want the best for Houston. But, Houston will never reach its full potential as long as Houstonians downgrade everything good in another city, that Houston could actually reinvent and do better. We have to be willing to embrace new ideas, even if they have already been thought of. Why? beacause the firey spirit that lies within Houstonians can be the catalyst that will improve on those ideas and make them better. Houston is home of NASA, the Astrodome, 2 retractable roof stadiums. . .need I say more. Let's smbrace that spirit, and open our minds to all possibilities. Only then will Houston be all that she can be.

Don't forget, though, that it all starts with you exercising your right to vote. Come this November, I challenge all forumers that read this post to vote in November. . . no matter how trivial you think the candidates or the issues are. That's where we begin to take control over this city. Otherwise, we're just anonymous posters on an internet message board that will make little to no difference at all!

GO HOUSTON!!!

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I think Houston is already doing/trying to do this downtown. Since this is a Victory thread, I'll start another one in the appropriate place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The following was DMN article was taken from DallasMetropolis.com. It does a nice job of exposing as "misinformation" many of the statements that have been made by our Dallas friends regarding the Victory Tower/Mandarin Oriental project.

"Questions surround Mandarin Oriental Hotel tower

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...n1.39b07c9.html

07:50 AM CDT on Friday, March 14, 2008

If you think something's missing at the Victory Park development, you're right.

Two big construction cranes that have been across the street from American Airlines Center for months were recently taken down.

The cranes were for the construction of the parking garage to accompany the planned Victory Tower

The following was DMN article was taken from DallasMetropolis.com. It does a nice job of exposing as "misinformation" many of the statements that have been made by our Dallas friends regarding the Victory Tower/Mandarin Oriental project.

Following is a list of just a few of the statements that have been posted here by some of our Dallas friends about this project, which have now been decisively proven false:

-- The tower is under construction

-- piers were being installed in the tower portion of the site (saw it with his own eyes, he did)

-- Tower cranes were absolute proof that the tower was under construction because tower cranes would never be used for just a low-rise parking structure

-- The structure actually under construction (the parking garage) was primarily for various (unexplained) support functions for the tower

Axioms for the healthy use of HAIF:

1. Believe nothing at face value

2. Validate for yourself before repeating a statement as fact

3. This forum is for entertainment purposes only.

As for Dallas posters - I can't blame them for believing Hillwood's plan for the tower. Hillwood has a decent history of following through with their plans in the DFW area. There was a hole in the ground, piers were dug, there was construction and there were multiple cranes. Sure looked like more than a garage was under construction to me, not that I was one of the people making grandiose claims. I'm sorry that not everyone here is an engineer, real estate maven or architect, but to most novices, the tower appeared to be under construction.

The DMN story does not contain any confirmation from Hillwood or anything new to those who frequent DM.

And BTW, I don

As for Dallas posters - I can't blame them for believing Hillwood's plan for the tower. Hillwood has a decent history of following through with their plans in the DFW area. There was a hole in the ground, piers were dug, there was construction and there were multiple cranes. Sure looked like more than a garage was under construction to me, not that I was one of the people making grandiose claims. I'm sorry that not everyone here is an engineer, real estate maven or architect, but to most novices, the tower appeared to be under construction.

The DMN story does not contain any confirmation from Hillwood or anything new to those who frequent DM.

And BTW, I don

• 2 weeks later...

This tower appears to be 'officially' on hold - but given the actual (& soon to be) completions in Victory Park (W Hotel & Condos, The Vista, The Terrace, The House, The Cirque, & One Victory Tower), the delay of this building is by no means a negative indication of the whole project.

In my opinion, the Victory project is trying to be too upscale (especially retail) next to an Arena whose strength is the draw of a larger mainstream audience. Time will tell, but the upscale retail clientele can be very fickle- it will move on to the next trendy hot spot as soon as it become popular. Victory Park should instead focus on its true asset - the mainstream traffic to the AAC. Unfortunately that probably does not sell as many high end condos...

• 1 month later...

This tower appears to be 'officially' on hold - but given the actual (& soon to be) completions in Victory Park (W Hotel & Condos, The Vista, The Terrace, The House, The Cirque, & One Victory Tower), the delay of this building is by no means a negative indication of the whole project.

If the Victory Project saga has accomplished nothing else, in my opinion it has provided some great entertainment on this board. I remember reading the whole thread from start to finish just couple of months ago or so. I remember people SWEARING that there was a tower being built there, and people SWEARING there wasn't. It was quite hilarious. I doubt there'll ever be another thread quite like it. Thanks for the memories.

• 2 months later...

And BTW, I don't think the story for the Victory Tower site is finished. Stay tuned.

I think the growth of the area north of downtown Dallas is going to focus north of Victory on the area around the Art's District in the future. If that area there gets really hot, which is expected when the new Art's venues open, Victory could be left out in the cold. So, I think Victory might be done. Same could be true of the Harwood development next to it.

Also take this into account. Growth in Irving has been slowed while developers wait for the Cowboys to move and that land to open up. There is also 4 billion in private TOD investment in Las Colinas waiting for the light rail to arrive. All these factors when put together will certainly spell doom to some of the planned development in the Uptown area.

Archived