Victory Park In Dallas

elecpharm

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The original article contained quotes such as:

"We will have the ability to create really dynamic messages and impressions...and to dominate the message to the consumer."

"Not even Tokyo's building advertisements can match what will become Victory Plaza's beacon."

I really think that's incredibly cheesy. I'm glad we don't have such a thing in Houston. MTCoog said it well... it's the futuristic next generation of blight. Only bigger and even more in-your-face.

However, I did think it was really cool when Houston broadcasted the recent Astros games downtown for the public to gather and watch. I wouldn't be opposed to large public screens displaying that kind of programming, but why would people be drawn to a place just to watch a bunch of ads?

Since this thread is about the ENTIRE Victory development as opposed to just a thread bashing the idea of electronic billboards, I thought that I'd post the following for consumption:

DART pulls into arena's Victory Station

11:06 PM CST on Friday, November 12, 2004

By TONY HARTZEL / The Dallas Morning News

Dallas Area Rapid Transit was the star of the show Friday morning at American Airlines Center.

Plan Your Trip

Traffic: Check current conditions on area roadways

DART official site

Victory Station details

The transit agency, with help from a train full of local dignitaries, put the wraps on a $79 million production to bring direct light-rail service to the arena. The 1.25-mile extension also marks the first step in future rail line construction to northwest Dallas, Irving, Carrollton and Farmers Branch.

"DART has really shown the world that you can have a modern transportation system that can be run efficiently, on time and under budget," said U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, a staunch DART supporter who helped welcome the trains to Victory Station.

An estimated 2,000 light-rail and 1,000 commuter-rail passengers are expected to use Victory Station, the 35th stop in DART's 44-mile light-rail network. Longer station platforms will help accommodate the crush of passengers expected after events.

"Today is about results. Delivering those results is exactly what DART is about," said U.S. Rep. Pete Sessions, R-Dallas.

North Texans will have to wait awhile for the next DART station openings. Stops from downtown to Fair Park could open in late 2009, and stations along the northwest line will open in mid-2010 and mid-2011.

The five-year wait for the next station will be the longest between openings since DART debuted its starter system in 1996. The White Rock station opened in 2001, four years after the transit agency unveiled the final piece of its starter system.

E-mail thartzel@dallasnews.com

Speaking of electronic billboards, the hotly contested ones are starting to show up in Houston's Theatre District.

It had been so long, I almost forgot they were going to do this. This could be its own thread.

Theater District lights up the night

Electronic signs that sparked fight have been set up

By RON NISSIMOV

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

City officials recently put up three electronic billboards in the downtown Theater District, four years after City Council approved the installations.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/2899793

once again, a topic has strayed from it's original post. this thread pertains to the victory plaza in dallas and not the ethnic diversity of certain cities. please continue your discussion in another thread.

It's bound to happen on any thread in which developments in Dallas are presented to the Houston crowd. Nothing good coming out of Dallas has ever been discussed on this forum without an unrelated rebuttal citing an aspect of Houston perceived to be better. It's all together unfortunate, entertaining, educational and an inherent quality of most forums like this.

Personally, I think it's a little disappointing for spectacle presented by these big screens at the Victory Development will be so entrenched in brand extentions, but it's still a sight. Most of Phase I & II is scheduled to 'open' at the same time in 2006, so that should be a pretty big party!

once again, a topic has strayed from it's original post. this thread pertains to the victory plaza in dallas and not the ethnic diversity of certain cities. please continue your discussion in another thread.

It's an interesting topic, though. The diversity discussion is continued in "International Houston"

Listen to really don't care what Dallas gets, cause this victory plaza will be great for dallas, and i'm glad for dallas. But when houston gets something like this, beleive me people its going to blow away dallas so call victory plaza. We might call ours ENGERY PLAZA, since we're the engery capitol of the world. So, its good for dallas, besides they need it downtown.

Listen to really don't care what Dallas gets, cause this victory plaza will be great for dallas, and i'm glad for dallas. But when houston gets something like this, beleive me people its going to blow away dallas so call victory plaza. We might call ours ENGERY PLAZA, since we're the engery capitol of the world. So, its good for dallas, besides they need it downtown.

Oh goodness. You really think Houston will get something like this? I think the cities are trying to close the gap of similarities between each other. This is not the 80's.

let dallas be the "times square" of the southwest, who cares. :P houston's charm is that it's NOT over the top, it's the fact that houston's qualities are understated that make it so warm and friendly, unlike NYC and L. A.

boo -hisssss on big signs on the side of buildings and nightly light shows (except for superbowls and holidays of course). houston doesn't need to beg for attention, it's unbecoming. we are what we are and we like it.

let dallas be the "times square" of the southwest, who cares.  :P   houston's charm is that it's NOT over the top, it's the fact that houston's qualities are understated that make it so warm and friendly, unlike NYC and L. A.

boo -hisssss on big signs on the side of buildings and nightly light shows (except for superbowls and holidays of course).  houston doesn't need to beg for attention, it's unbecoming.  we are what we are and we like it.

Because were special, were different, and, dogonnit, people LIKE us.

But when houston gets something like this, beleive me people its going to blow away dallas so call victory plaza. We might call ours ENGERY PLAZA, since we're the engery capitol of the world.

So, if when Dallas gets something like this, they're imitating NYC, does that mean that when Houston gets something like this they'll be imitating Dallas?

• 1 month later...

This Victory project is quite an ambitious one. And we're struggling to get one measly tower up. I also recently read that little-ol' Memphis has 25,000 downtown residents. Any speculation as to why we are so behind in this area?

1:31 PM CST Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Second condo tower going to Victory development

With most of the 61 residential units sold, the W Dallas Victory Hotel & Residences, currently under construction across from American Airlines Center, will be expanded with a second residential tower, W Hotels Worldwide said Tuesday.

The decision to add the additional tower was driven by demand from homebuyers.

The 15-story residential tower, encompassing 83 one- and two-bedroom residences, including some two-story residences, also has a dedicated lap pool and fitness center. It will be built on the south side of the hotel.

W Dallas is scheduled for completion in 2006 and will be a centerpiece of the city's new urban development, known as Victory.

The first W Hotel opened in New York December 1998. There are now five hotels in New York City and 20 hotels brand-wide and abroad.

Victory is being developed by Hillwood Capital, a real estate investment and development company.

www.victorydallas.com

This will be all worth it once all of the rail is up, and those investors/developers (the GOODones) start buying land...

OH,a nd I recently went to DT, and I saw SEVERAL parking lots along the rail line for sale...

Victory's going to be great, but give Houston some time. It's not a race. We're building cities here, not suburbs. These buildings will (hopefully) be permenant structures lasting until long after we're gone. I'd rather wait a little longer and do it right. That said, Houston's starting to get it right. Check out Sunday's Chronicle. It's starting to happen and in a very good way. Victory will be very jealous.

It is true that downtown has been a little slow out of the gate when it comes to residential growth, but one thing that is often overlooked in Houston is the explosion of high rise residential in other parts of town, especially in the Galleria area. Granted, none of these have the master-planned feel of a lot of the efforts happening in Dallas, but in my mind the high-rise resi growth here is more explosive. It may also be creating too much competition for the downtown proposals.

That's always been the speculation, that the highrise explosion here has been massive and sudden, creating a potential glut in the market. I think you'll see midrise structures become the rule in Midtown/4th Ward/3rd Ward moreso than highrise, because all the highrises are now concentrated in specific areas:

Upper Montrose/Allen Parkway; Museum District; Uptown/Post Oak; TMC

Shamrock obviously holds the future of downtown residential highrises in its hands, and it it does kick off and has success, then that market offers a challenge to Midtown and neartown urban areas as well.

Archived