Bellaire/Southside Place/West University Place Real Estate

sevfiv

Funny how this thread went from one on housing to a dicussion on class and race.

Here is my blatantly straight to the point 2 cents:

The wealthy parents in West U all do not have the mentality of "poor and non-white = criminal/threat to me and my kid". I am sure some do but not all of them. The mainstream ones bought into West U not only because of who lives there but who does not live there. They wanted a low crime area where a crackhead would not break into their car to steal the radio for the next fix. That said, I am sure West U has people who use illicit drugs. In this case they can afford their $200 a day cocaine habbit and do not have to do crime to get the money hence your car stereo stays in your car there.

Anyway, that is getting off on a tanget. From the perspective of the parents you have a kid that you raised in a safe environment and built up in their mind that the world is a safe and friendly place. You send that kid into a middle school for the first time with kids from the have nots and you can see how the parents would worry there could be some type aggression directed towards their kid for having the better clothes or just getting dropped off at school in a nicer car or whatever. If I was a parent there I would entirely base my decision on what type of kid I had. If he/she is strong and can stand up for themselves in most all situations I would encourage expose to kids that do not have such privilage so they learn to be appreciative of what they have and not judgemental towards other people. There really should not be a rich kid vs poor kid paradigm since you can not help what family you are born into. But, if the kid was kind of a whimp (and honestly a parent can tell this about their own kid) I would pick a private school just for safety reasons cause stuff like "you have a better iPod than me" or "your mom drives a new Mercedes and my mom has a 10 year old Chevy" would not come up and you would feel better about it.

College changes completely because you are on your own and you pick what groups of people to seek in your social circle. In other words, you can be a whimp and make it to college to but I would suggest becoming strong before college cause you will need it when you get out of college and have to work with people that get on your nerves.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who'd a thunk it...something Houston can't stand:

"The one way that neighborhood character is maintained is if areas have been designated landmarks or if the type of architecture in a particular neighborhood is protected in some way," says Deborah Fischer, a broker at Koenig & Strey in Chicago. Here, strict zoning laws in the outlying suburbs force citywide expansion, which can make it difficult for Chicago's urban neighborhoods to maintain their character. "That way, new construction builds on the neighborhood character, rather than trying to change it."

don't get depressed lockmat, look at some of the traits in this URBAN enclave.

low population density, high-income residents, and high-priced homes.

West U and Southside Place have density figures about 2.5 times more dense than the overall city of Houston. Those two enclaves average about 7,000 folks per square mile which is fairly dense for this part of the country.

West U and Southside Place have density figures about 2.5 times more dense than the overall city of Houston. Those two enclaves average about 7,000 folks per square mile which is fairly dense for this part of the country.

Ya think that might be because they're entirely built out, have few parks, and have very little in the way of commercial properties? Maybe it has something to do with Houston having an airport that enclave residents use with disproportionate frequency but in which no citizens of Houston live; perhaps it has to do with the massive distribution centers in Houston that stock the grocery stores in Houston in which residents of the enclaves shop. Or a huge lake, a system of bayous, and a couple of reservoirs that between them all provide drinking water and open recreational areas to the enclaves while keeping them from being flooded out.

Perhaps, more to the point, it has to do with Houston's ability to annex outward (an act that decreases average density without actually changing anyone's circumstances) and the enclaves' inability to do so, a fact which renders any comparison of densities between such small residential enclaves and a big city utterly meaningless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Why does the listing say unfinished/built 2007 and HCAD 2005?

Tax records must be incorrect because the original home that was torn down wasn't even sold until June 2005.

This new construction was first listed in August 2006 with an estimated completion date of 4/30/2007. The listing was terminated on 5/4/2007 after 260 days. It was off the market from 5/4/2007 to 10/26/2007.

It was relisted in October 2007 with an estimated completion date of 11/15/2007. The listing was terminated after 21 days. It was off the market from 11/16/2007 to 1/9/2007.

It was relisted again two days ago with an estimated completion date of 2/28/2008. This time with the same agent that had the listing the first time.

Sounds to me like the builder is both wishy-washy and slow. This project is way behind schedule and the price has been all over the place. Here are the prices, in order:

1. 729,900 (8/2/2006)
  2. 825,000 (12/7/2006)
  3. 790,000 (3/27/2007)
  4. 835,000 (4/17/2007)
  5. 1,150,000 (10/26/2007)
  6. 500,000 (1/9/2007)

I haven't seen the house, but my gut instinct says to pass on it. And heed sevfiv's warning. Being one block (2 streets) from the big toilet, I'd have to say that there are more desireable locations in Bellaire. Click on the link below and zoom out once...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=18&om=1

Sounds to me like the builder is both wishy-washy and slow. This project is way behind schedule and the price has been all over the place

I think slow is an understatement considering that the description says it is not done yet. What did it sell for way back when?

My bet is if someone really wants to risk the chance and buy it, it will probably go for like $330,000. The developer would probably be smart to take it too.

The prices are crazy, but $500k is about on par for that area of Bellaire for newer construction i think.

There are 50s era houses across Newcastle with the slightly larger lot sizes selling for more than $330k to tear down (and those new ones seem to go for ~ $800k+)

I will follow your advice. Thanks so much!

Tax records must be incorrect because the original home that was torn down wasn't even sold until June 2005.

This new construction was first listed in August 2006 with an estimated completion date of 4/30/2007. The listing was terminated on 5/4/2007 after 260 days. It was off the market from 5/4/2007 to 10/26/2007.

It was relisted in October 2007 with an estimated completion date of 11/15/2007. The listing was terminated after 21 days. It was off the market from 11/16/2007 to 1/9/2007.

It was relisted again two days ago with an estimated completion date of 2/28/2008. This time with the same agent that had the listing the first time.

Sounds to me like the builder is both wishy-washy and slow. This project is way behind schedule and the price has been all over the place. Here are the prices, in order:

1. 729,900 (8/2/2006)
  2. 825,000 (12/7/2006)
  3. 790,000 (3/27/2007)
  4. 835,000 (4/17/2007)
  5. 1,150,000 (10/26/2007)
  6. 500,000 (1/9/2007)

I haven't seen the house, but my gut instinct says to pass on it. And heed sevfiv's warning. Being one block (2 streets) from the big toilet, I'd have to say that there are more desireable locations in Bellaire. Click on the link below and zoom out once...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=18&om=1

I would also find out if the realtor that represents the auction has a minimum they are going to start with or they would accept. Having an auction does not actually mean the house will sell that day. If nobody offers on the home, then the house will continue to stay on the market.

I would also find out if the realtor that represents the auction has a minimum they are going to start with or they would accept. Having an auction does not actually mean the house will sell that day. If nobody offers on the home, then the house will continue to stay on the market.

They have a weasel clause in the listing linked to above saying they can reject a bid for any reason, etc etc. Likely they'll reject all bids if they can't get what they want.

I did not go to see the house, but someone I knew went there on Saturday. This person told me that the highest bid for the house was $200K.

There is a new house which is being auctioned off in Bellaire. One can see it on Saturday or Sunday and bid on it on Sunday.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

This seems strange. Do people think that this is something worth checking or just a marketing gimmick?

Thanks.

Richard

I did not go to see the house, but someone I knew went there on Saturday. This person told me that the highest bid for the house was $200K.

Wow.

About a block away 4300 and 4301 Lafayette are for sale ("small old" houses) - one as a teardown - for $250 and $269k respectively.

And those are right next to the railroad tracks.

The lot sizes for the RR homes are about 3,000 square feet larger than the standard lot size for that block, though.

Archived