Bellaire/Southside Place/West University Place Real Estate

sevfiv

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've seen some other old advertisements for West U back when it was a distant suburb and think they're really cool. Any idea where I could get a hold of one? I asked over at the antiquarium if they had ever come across any and they had not.

Any part of inner Houston that gets good and possitive national press work for me.

This is the place to be. :D Forbes was right on!

Take a drive around West U nabes on a nice sunny day or evening and see why. The business areas are alive and thriving at night with plenty to do. University crowd abound.

Dear all,

I plan to build a house in West U. Am lookink for an architect to design a modern style 3000 s.f. home on a 50 by 100 lot. I have two questions:

1. I would really appreciate recommendation of a capable and affordable architect who can do the design work for me. I have a budget around 7 grand. I am not looking for some fancy stuff, just a modern style home with open floor plan and some of my own "wants and desires."

2. I learned from this forum that the design cost is around $2/s.f.; however, when I called a couple of architect company, they are asking for 4-7% of the building cost, which they estimated will be around $150 per s.f. This translates the design cost to $6-10/s.f. Are they trying to take advantage or the $2/s.f. average is no longer a standard today?

Thanks a lot!

Hunter

• 3 weeks later...

We went and checked out the 6 houses on Sunday.

Just curious what everyone thought if they went.

Insert typical Mcmansion/conspicuous consumption comment here.

But seriously, if you just want to flame the concept of big, pseudo mediteranean houses designed by draftsmen, start your own thread.

flipper

We went and checked out the 6 houses on Sunday.

Just curious what everyone thought if they went.

Insert typical Mcmansion/conspicuous consumption comment here.

But seriously, if you just want to flame the concept of big, pseudo mediteranean houses designed by draftsmen, start your own thread.

flipper

Hi Flippper.... Can you start and tell us what you thought? My wife asked me twice over the weekend if I wanted to go. We didn't make it, but will go next weekend if you have a favorable review. Thanks!

We didn't make it, but will go next weekend if you have a favorable review. Thanks!

While none of the houses (save for a few details) were really "my" taste, I really enjoy looking at new construction to get ideas for our remodels.

Even if you think it's all "over the top" for the most part, finding cool examples of good craftsmanship is enjoyable. Atleast for me.

Bottom line, if you are looking for ideas or if you enjoy looking at model homes it's worth the $10.

flipper

I went to this 2 or 3 years ago. These houses are not my taste at all, but I was still curious. We were amazed at how much sloppy stuff was visible on these very expensive homes. I'm talking small stuff, for sure, but things like ridiculously cheap hinges, patchy finishes, baseboards that didn't even line up correctly & had gaps, and so on. Made me wonder about the stuff we couldn't see. I'm not a builder by any stretch, but you'd think they'd polish it up when they're showing off homes that sell near or over a million dollars. Was it better this time around?

They sure do love their turrets.

I'm talking small stuff, for sure, but things like ridiculously cheap hinges, patchy finishes, baseboards that didn't even line up correctly & had gaps, and so on.

This is exactly the reason we try to be so picky in our houses. People really do find and focus on the tiniest of imperfections. Not only that, but it can become the only thing they remember about the house.

As far as the showcase houses... Any time there is an absolute deadline on a project (like an open house you can't stop) there are going to be things rushed at the end that don't end up perfect. I think the builders end up doing several rounds of punch stuff after the show to correct the things that were done in a hurry.

flipper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It does not seem right that it could account for 1/10th of Harris County's residential property value as the article states (and actually if you do the numbers, it's more like 1/11th), but impressive nonetheless.

Article

Property values in the 2-square miles that make up the city of West University Place now account for about one-tenth of the total residential property values in Harris County.

The most recent property appraisals show that residential property in the city is valued at almost $3.95 billion, City Manager Michael Ross said Thursday.

With total residential property values in Harris County appraised at almost $44.48 billion, Ross said,

It does not seem right that it could account for 1/10th of Harris County's residential property value as the article states (and actually if you do the numbers, it's more like 1/11th), but impressive nonetheless.

Article

Property values in the 2-square miles that make up the city of West University Place now account for about one-tenth of the total residential property values in Harris County.

The most recent property appraisals show that residential property in the city is valued at almost $3.95 billion, City Manager Michael Ross said Thursday.

With total residential property values in Harris County appraised at almost $44.48 billion, Ross said,

I don't believe these figures to be plausible.

If you add up all the numbers from all of these small cities that were cited, you get 40% of the total residential value in Harris County cited in the article. But that does not include several large cities, including most notably Houston. Nor does it include the vast territory of unincorporated Harris County.

I thought it seemed unlikely too. I did a little digging and came up with these #'s for Harris county as a whole from HCAD Link

946k properties at an average market value of $168k yields a total residential value for Harris county of approx $159B. $4B for West U then implies about 2.5% of the total county value.....still impressive for a 2 square mile city, but not outlandishly so.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Some of the more pricey areas in Highland Park tend to remind me more of River Oaks than West U or Southside Place..........

One such example is the larger lot size--Many Estate sized homes in Highland Park have very large lots--even "acreage"--just like some of the high end estate homes in River Oaks area............

You really don't find that too often in West U or Southside Place anymore--I live in West U, but I have only been there since early summer ( We moved down from The Woodlands---too far to drive anymore!!!) so I am not a seasoned expert--although I have spent more time in the Houston area(s) than I did in The "Woods" for the 7+ years that I have spent here in Texas

Not knowing about the general "make-up/mindset" of the population of either Highland Park, or University Park--I will let other, more informed posters handle that.......issue :lol:

Also the schools that serve most of Highland Park and all of University Park are very homogeneous in makeup: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...357/school.aspx

Meanwhile Lamar High School, which serves West U, has many different socioeconomic and racial groups: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...512/school.aspx

Pershing Middle: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...553/school.aspx

Pin Oak Middle: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...274/school.aspx

West U Elementary: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/...608/school.aspx