Bellaire/Southside Place/West University Place Real Estate

sevfiv

You just described three different area, recognizing the differences between each with their own character and architectural style and history.  Within a given neighborhood their is going to be similiarity between houses of course.  The point is, is it an improvement, for example,  to make Timbergrove, the Heights and Montrose all have one look?  To build the same new houses or townhouses so no neighborhoods have their own style and history anymore?

Meyerland, for example, has some great mid-century architecture.  I don't think it is an improvement to make it look just like Bellaire that looks just like West U and so forth.  Of course there are plenty who see it otherwise I am sure.  I just think it is boring to make different communities of different ages and history all look the same.

Do you honestly think that all the different areas of Houston will wind up looking the same?? Development would have to happen super fast for that to occur, and that is not even close to likely....

The Heights has a lot of restricitions on what you can build there.... Timbergrove and Meyerland both are similar neighborhoods and the majority of homes are in good enough condition to be rehabed and/or updated without having to tear the house down and rebuild.... Montrose was and is a very eclectic mix and I don't see that changing....

further, at least for me, I can certainly tell the difference between being in West U or Bellaire or Southampton.... each neighborhood has it's own unique characteristics even though they've all been infiltrated with McMansions... so I don't think it is as uniform and bland as you seem to allude to...

it takes time to develop things... even if all the homes in Timbergrove are levelled one day to make room for mansions, how long with that take??? what style of architecture will be popular at that time?? point is, the neighborhoods will always be different from each other and unique in their own ways...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well from the sound of all the sirens, you'd think WestU was in somewhere in Detroit. This irks me, because the cause of it is that WestU main streets are clear of traffic, so all the emergency vehicles cut through my relatively peaceful neighborhood, with sirens blaring, trying to get to the med center. I mean, I know they are trying to save lives, but at least they can turn off the sirens when coming through. I guess its the by product of the WestU neo-nazi police traffic control. Don't speed through WestU unless you want to contribute to our city coffers!

I know why they try to avoid Kirby and Greenbriar.

As far as I know, West University Place is certainly not a "high violent crime" area. All that means is that the police are anal about speeding over there. The same goes with Southside Place!

" so all the emergency vehicles cut through my relatively peaceful neighborhood,"

That has no bearing on the crime rate; the sirens could be ambulances trying to save people from a house fire or to save an elderly man from a heart attack.

Thanks for the unusual perspective. I had never considered the ambulance traffic and how it has to funnel into the Med Center and the resulting disturbances that are created in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Kind of like the trains are to the East End, or the planes to the Hobby area, or the bums in Midtown, or the growing traffic congestion/noise in River Oaks, etc. Not to discount your complaint, but living in the big city is a full sensory experience no matter where you are. At least the ambulances aren't picking up many in your neighborhood, just passing through.

As gentrification slowly increases, violent crime will go down, as it has in places like NY, and the ambulances will sit parked more and more. That is one major reason us city people want development, to drive the criminals elsewhere. Taxes will go up and affordability down but economic cleansing seems to be the only, sure-fired way to permanently reduce crime.

Actually, danax, gentrification, if it brings in more empty nesters, will increase the number of ambulances, since there are far more heart attacks than shootings. And, is it just me, or do others find it odd that a poster with 911 in his handle would complain about ambulances carrying someone's mother, brother or daughter to the caring professionals at the Med Center. Seems a bit selfish that your peace and serenity is more important than someone's life, including the other motorists who are approaching the intersection that the ambulance driver is warning of.

As to economic cleansing, there was a time when economists, politicians and CEOs believed that rising incomes in the poor and middle class would increase income for everyone, ie, a rising tide lifts all boats. Sadly, that no longer applies, as we are in a much stronger "trickle down" economy than ever before. This will only have the effect of creating more poor neighborhoods, whether they be inner city or older suburbs, as fewer people will have the means to keep up.

^ True, more old people means less crime but more sirens. Same with the trains, a thriving economy means more train traffic. Just can't escape life's endless array of opposites.

Pondering the future of mega-metros like Houston can create comic book-like pictures in one's mind, such as massive inner cities gleaming with skyscrapers, towering luxury condos and mansions where living is a members-only game for the upper 5% income-wise and the rest are spread out in ever more distant layers with each further layer housing more people than the previous one and with less wealth. Outer ring residents living lifes of mere subsistance which in turn creates massive gang warfare for precious turf. The poor outnumber the wealthy by 20-1 so the inner city must protect themselves with draconian measures.

Example message on public transport; "All level 17s will work extended shifts inside The City then will return to their podzones via Sky-Tram within 15 minutes of shift ending. There will be zero-tolerance and violators will face mandatory chip re-programming resulting in loss of shopping time. Repeat violators will be re-zoned to levels 75-100 (formerly Jasper Colony)." This message then repeats in each of the 15 official languages.

All right, it probably won't get that bad for awhile yet. It would be a cool comic book though.

• 2 weeks later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_University_Place%2C_Texas

Here I added a ton of pictures to Wikipedia's West U article.

I did the same to Bellaire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellaire%2C_Texas, Southside Place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southside_Place%2C_Texas, Braeswood Place http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braeswood_Place, and Meyerland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meyerland

I also added street signs to the Houston article.

How do you like the photography?

• 2 months later...

My old post about how total inept builders who have had no architectural education really gets me going. Here are some "renderings" of million dollar homes these guys are selling. If they can't even draw a proper eleveation, what kinds of designs are these guys doing? I feel for the unknowing buyer for these.

hr1579475-1.jpg

This one looks like he used crayons!

hr1357157-1.jpg

This guy at least used a ruler!

hr1493762-12.jpg

Wow this guy graduated to colored pencils!

hr1454318-3.jpg

This architect should have his license revoked...

hr1514950-1.jpg

Wow, pretty!

hr1442726-1.jpg

This "artist" even signed his great work!

hr1557929-7.jpg

Would you seriously buy a house if they can't even render what your house will look like? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Well, I gotta agree. Since they have no intention of being original, they could at least be good copyists.

All they need is a few books from the library, a pencil and some tracing paper.

I don't feel for the unknowing buyers, however.

B)

Heh, IMHO, some of those are not TOO horrendous...

Kinda reminds me of this neighborhood, in Sugar Land:

generic8cr.jpg

these homes remind me of fake stucco tract houses...

Note the placement of the chimney for 2619 Nottingham - right where two angles of the roof intersect.

hr1514950-1.jpg

Now that's going to be an engineering puzzler.

Unless, of course, it's not a chimney. Perhaps it's a rooftop outhouse.

Everyone seems pretty critical of these renderings. But aren't they just that - a rendering? Besides, I doubt any complainers here could draw as well, or at their volume.

Oh, and I only feel sorry for those who walk away from a builder actually thinking that he/she uses these sketches to build with.

hr1514950-1.jpg

I love the way the shadows are all over the place, under the eaves and above the entrance! UMM, what school did he go to?

Apparently he went to U.H. according to the resume just posted, I could have sworn he went to U.G.L.Y.

Everyone seems pretty critical of these renderings. But aren't they just that - a rendering? Besides, I doubt any complainers here could draw as well, or at their volume.

Oh, and I only feel sorry for those who walk away from a builder actually thinking that he/she uses these sketches to build with.

It would seem to me that any high school graduate who took art and drafting classes would distinguish between an elevation and a perspective drawing, and not attempt to combine the two. Unhappily, this doesn't seem to be the case in some of the above renderings.

So far as the presumed (in)abilities of HAIF critics, I'm inclined to think that it's entirely possible that some of us can draw as well. Check out any amateur art group - there's a lot of talent out here. And when work is being presented at a professional level, isn't it fair that it should be judged at that level as well?

And volume? How many of these damn houses are they pumping out, anyway? Would it kill 'em to spend another hour to get it right?

yes and bellaire

from the handbook of texas online:

"The town incorporated in 1925 as an autonomous enclave within Houston and adopted a home-rule charter in 1940 with a council-manager form of city government.qv Zoning codes and other restrictions assured ethnic and economic homogeneity."

yes and bellaire

from the handbook of texas online:

"The town incorporated in 1925 as an autonomous enclave within Houston and adopted a home-rule charter in 1940 with a council-manager form of city government.qv Zoning codes and other restrictions assured ethnic and economic homogeneity."

I didn't know Bellaire had zoning. Anyway, well all I can say is are we really missing much? I admit I do not frequent West U but it does not seem too different from similar areas inside or near the inner loop.

One interesting thing I find about West Uiversity Place is that the houses are not packed in and they are definitely not small, but the city still manages to have a density over 7,000 people/sq mi.

Yeah I'd need to see blueprints. I dont know know about the rest of you all but I'd rather have a bland uninteresting house than one that has 6 inch cracks in the foundation.

Archived