Bellaire/Southside Place/West University Place Real Estate

sevfiv

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pay attention to technology. At the very least, understand what is needed to install all the current entertainment center gadgets (including phone lines).

I know that wireless is around, but I like having my whole house networked on Cat-5. Think about putting in conduit for future expansion of said network. We have a closet dedicated to servers, but it needs extra cooling.

And, don't forget the unsexy is important: mind you mechanicals. Make sure the HVAC system is serviceable. Seriously, when this is not done properly it is a future headache. Don't make your homeowner think about this stuff that is supposed to just be right....lull them into the idea that stuff just works by itself and anyone they call can fix it...they want this.

That would be a safe room. They can be built any number of ways, but it sure is cheaper to build a 10x10 room out of concrete block than a 5000 sf house.

As for what a Bellaire resident would want in a house, I couldn't tell you. I'm very happy in a 1300 sf bungalow. I cannot imagine that cleaning a house 4 times the size of mine is worth it....especially considering I would also have to pay for it....that would mean I actually have to work. :o

:D

i would say bellaire would do better in the long term with one-story or partial second floor non-lot-fillers.

of course, it seems that the clientele at this moment are young couples (+/- kids) with low self esteem and way too much credit :P

If your development is three stories or more, city law states that you have to put in sprinklers. I would put in sprinklers in any new house.

I think that we've got a theme going here with the safety factor. It seems like a lot of people perceive these as "troubled times", and when that happens, they tend to buy real estate, precious metals, comfort foods, and guns.

It seems that homes with a lot of safety features would be very welcomed. Whether its a safe room, cabinets with built-in organizers that are stocked with first aid supplies, alarm systems, or panic buttons, I think that that is something that would go over well. I'd stop just shy of the concertina wire, though...that might send the wrong signal.

Sprnklers are already required in Bellaire and we are putting them in in our current construction project there.

We also do full home automation and AV packages (allowing for expansion for AV and Cortexa home automation).

Good advice so far guys.

One things that my clients complain about at times, is the inability to hook up appliances or power consuming equipment (Tanning beds, Jacuzzi, etc) without adding another fusebox, and then didn't have the room to add another box.

make room for another box if needed, or at least add a box that can be easily hooked up or modified.

And since Rita, a way to be able to easily hook up a generator to the home that will run the basics without needing to hire an electrician (or at least, make it so HE won't work so long).

One things that my clients complain about at times, is the inability to hook up appliances or power consuming equipment (Tanning beds, Jacuzzi, etc) without adding another fusebox, and then didn't have the room to add another box.

make room for another box if needed, or at least add a box that can be easily hooked up or modified.

And since Rita, a way to be able to easily hook up a generator to the home that will run the basics without needing to hire an electrician (or at least, make it so HE won't work so long).

I was thinking about including a natural gas fueled generator in the house. Most decently built houses would have a spare J-Box or 220 circuit available. Usually this is reserved for garage equipment but is meant for expansion for the whole house.

Ideally, the house will sell at/before frame stage and then all the little things that someone wants can be added to their specs.

I was thinking about including a natural gas fueled generator in the house. Most decently built houses would have a spare J-Box or 220 circuit available. Usually this is reserved for garage equipment but is meant for expansion for the whole house.

Ideally, the house will sell at/before frame stage and then all the little things that someone wants can be added to their specs.

Make it standard. They won't know they need it until the time comes. Spending a hundred or so bucks during construction can save a good $600 and a few hours (on the low end) when it's needed.

Some things need to be built in, it's usually a D'oh! moment when they realized they could have had it during construction.

Outside 610.

What is the property's address?

There are two possibilities of zoning at this point: Either Condit ES or Lovett ES

All areas in the city of Bellaire are zoned to Pershing MS (with Pin Oak MS as an option) and Bellaire HS.

If your friend has a website about the property, he should link to the websites of the schools.

Don't count on it. Most homes in that market end up delivering to market before they go pending.

They won't know they need it until the time comes.

I know that if I were building for myself, I'd do exactly that, but with regards for resale it sounds like an expense that could be avoided without impacting the final sales price at all.

Hello. I am moving from Boston to Houston and I am interested in the city of Bellaire. I checked out the neighborhood at the beginning of June and people were telling me that the area is expensive for Houston standards. To be specific I am interested in ranch houses under 320K. I currently live in the North End of Boston and although I love the atmosphere, my partner and I are looking for a neighborhood that is not as restless and I like the cozy feel of the neighborhoods in Bellaire. I figure I could get my dose of entertainment in my spare time in other Houston neighborhoods. Thanks for any information you might have on ranch houses in Bellaire.

Hi North End, welcome to Houston! The ranch house has quickly become a rare sighting in Bellaire (which has gone the way of West University in terms of new construction). The ranch houses that ARE still around tend to be on the smallish side, usually all wood (versus brick) with single car garages. If you aren't married to having a Bellaire address, I suggest expanding to nearby Braes Heights, Meyerland, Ayrshire, and Willow Meadows. Each have ranchers in your price range and have just as much charm as Bellaire.

Check out http://www.har.com and choose areas 17 and 20, then drop in your max of 320k (I wouldn't refine your search any more than that). You will find a lot of homes on the market--from new to old. I have included a few examples here:

http://search.har.com/engine/indexdetail.c...mp;backButton=Y

(BTW, I have a fantastic realtor who specializes in the area if you need someone)

you *may* be able to find a ranch-style home in bellaire (1950s-ish) that are on the larger lots, which tend to be outside of loop 610 (and even west of chimney rock rd.).

i know of some one story homes that are around 2500-3500 sq ft on 20,000 sq ft lots, but most have broken 400k (and are probably surrounded by gaudy new homes that are pushing the one million mark).

closer to loop 610, the home and lot sizes generally decrease (less than 9,000 sq ft lots are standard just inside the loop, going down to around 5,000 sq ft getting near the railroad tracks, east of newcastle rd. even then, the original houses are smaller, and generally not built as well as the ones outside of the loop. and you're still paying a LOT!

i would look toward willow meadows/old braeswood area, perhaps.

or a completely different side of town

Howdy North End-

I did the opposite move. Born and raised in Houston but now live in the South End.

I agree with the other posters. If you want a ranch, look at old Braeswood, Meyerland, Southgate (south side of Rice U campus) and other hoods before Bellaire. Bellaire is becoming McMansion Central.

I agree that you can find ranch style houses in other neighborhoods around that price range. I didn't even know Bellaire had a large collection of ranch houses. Definitely look around Rice University, but they might go over 320 in that area. Plus the other ranch houses may stay their with you. Bellaire is losing its charm quick.

Thanks everyone for the info. Kinkaid, thanks for the message. I will try to hold on to that information if I need it.

Also, believe me I have looked around Rice University and the price is something that I admit intimidates me, but I am not through with that area for specific reasons. I have custody of my late friend's daughter that may be attending Rice or St Thomas in the future. The cost of school out here is rediculous. Also, I found a job in the city also. I had Bellaire in mind partly because of Bellaire High School but I know that does not mean I have to be confined to that specific area or ranch style houses for that matter. Just a preference. In all honesty, I may be renting for awhile before I settle anywhere so I still have a lot of time. I do not know if I need to ask this question, but how is the crime in the area? I may be assuming but it looks like something I do not have to worry about. Whatever the answer is, it may not bother me anyway, but just to make sure.

Some areas that I have not heard of such as Meyerland and Braeswood have showed their faces in here and how would you all describe these areas?

Thanks again.

I'm more familiar with Meyerland than Braeswood, having lived there for a number of years in the 90's. The original homes there are generally from the 50's and 60's, and consist of ranchers and mid-century modern. The "look" is similar to Bellaire (large oak trees, nice-sized lots, well-maintained homes, strong deed restrictions) and I am pretty sure the whole area is zoned to Bellaire High (good for resale). If you look on a map, Meyerland is the area directly to the south of Bellaire on Loop 610 (outside the loop) and Braeswood is inside the loop (both neighborhoods are along N and S Braeswood). Ayrshire, Braes Heights, etc., are inside the loop between Braeswood and Bellaire/Bissonnet Sts.

Renting in a new city is always a good idea. You shouldn't have a problem finding something in any of these areas.

ETA: I don't think crime is a concern in any of these areas. Some neighborhoods (like Willow Meadows and Meyerland) have supplemental security paid for with HOA fees.

Gotta love Wikipedia!!

Southampton: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton,_Houston,_Texas

Braeswood Place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braeswood_Place

Meyerland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meyerland

Willow Meadows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_Meadows

Bellaire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellaire%2C_Texas

If you are thinking about high schools, you might want to make sure you are zoned to Bellaire or Lamar. Both are excellent public schools.

Also, if you are not set on just looking at ranches, you can check out bungalows in the 77006 and 77019 zip codes. There are a few in your price range in some great neighborhoods. Close to restaurants, night life, culture, and Lamar H.S.

I just did a quick search, and it seems as if Old Braeswood (77030 zip code) is out of your range. The lowest ranch I found was in the mid 400,000s.

Crime isn't a huge issue in any of these areas, but Houston has a lot more violent crime than Boston. Watching the nightly news down there will shock you with the amount of gun violence but rarely is that violence random and outside of a few neighborhoods that seem to be clustered together.

Yeah - By subdivision:

* Southampton: Lamar

* Bellaire: Bellaire

* Braeswood Place (west of Stella Link OR south of South Braeswood): Bellaire

* Braeswood Place (east of Stella Link AND south of South Braeswood): Lamar

* Meyerland: Bellaire (some nearby associated subdivisions are zoned to Westbury, though)

* Willow Meadows (north of West Bellfort): Bellaire

* Willow Meadows (south of West Bellfort): Westbury

By the way - AVOID WESTBURY AT ALL COSTS! All of my friends at school say it is getting worse!

Yeah - By subdivision:

* Southampton: Lamar

* Bellaire: Bellaire

* Braeswood Place (west of Stella Link OR south of South Braeswood): Bellaire

* Braeswood Place (east of Stella Link AND south of South Braeswood): Lamar

* Meyerland: Bellaire (some nearby associated subdivisions are zoned to Westbury, though)

* Willow Meadows (north of West Bellfort): Bellaire

* Willow Meadows (south of West Bellfort): Westbury

By the way - AVOID WESTBURY AT ALL COSTS! All of my friends at school say it is getting worse!

I would agree about Westbury (assuming he meant the high school, not the neighborhood), which is a shame because there are some nice areas zoned to it (like the 'nicer' half of Willow Meadows, plus Maplewood/Parkwest). The high school is on the fringe of a nice-to-rough section of SW Houston.

I would agree about Westbury (assuming he meant the high school, not the neighborhood), which is a shame because there are some nice areas zoned to it (like the 'nicer' half of Willow Meadows, plus Maplewood/Parkwest). The high school is on the fringe of a nice-to-rough section of SW Houston.

Yeah - I meant the Westbury school. The neighborhood itself is nice.

Maplewood is zoned to Bellaire, but Maplewood South (a section of Maplewood South/North) is zoned to Westbury. Marilyn Estates, Willowbend, and almost all of the Westbury neighborhood are zoned to Westbury High School.

• 10 months later...

Is there a West U forum or similar forum on this board?

What is the general opinion of this area? How is it as a place to raise a young family? How are the people living there? Schools?

I know it is central in Houston which is a big plus, but how snooty is it compared to other Houston 'hoods?

I value a diverse neighborhood with many different types of people with a sense of community. Is West U fairly diverse?

I assume a lot of doctors/medical types would live there due to proximity to the TMC.

West University Place is an upper middle class family haven. The center of the city includes a library operated by Harris County, a community center, the municipal headquarters, the fire station, and the zoned Houston ISD elementary school.

The local elementary school, West University Elementary School, is among the highest ranked schools in Houston ISD. The zoned middle school, Pershing Middle School, just received a brand new building. People in West U also have the option to attend Pin Oak Middle School. Lamar High School is West University Place's zoned high school.

So, here are the profiles:

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/WestUniversity_ES.pdf - West University Elementary School

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Pershing_MS.pdf - Pershing Middle School

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/PinOak_MS.pdf - Pin Oak Middle School (option)

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Lamar_HS.pdf - Lamar High School

Websites are here:

* http://es.houstonisd.org/westuniversity - West University Elementary School

* http://www.pershingms.org/ - Pershing Middle School

* http://www.pinoak.us/ - Pin Oak Middle School (option)

* http://hs.houstonisd.org/lamarhs - Lamar High School

You'd better have tons of $$$ to shell out for a small lot of land in West U. Most all of the first homes built there predate WW2 so they were tiny homes with tiny lots usually with a 1 car garage. Since the mid 80s people have been doing demolitions and building large homes on these lots. This has further driven prices through the roof. The homes on the major roads that run through the city have had larger homes on them from the start.

If you have money to burn this high price factor is a good thing because it keeps out people you would not rather see in your area (the famous snooty factor) but it is bad if you make average money and want a safe and clean place to live. It truely is a whole other world in West U as it is in River Oaks. You are completely isolated from the outside world yet live in the heart of the city.

West U is also home to the famous Darth Vader house that some plastic surgeon with tons of money built back in the late 80s.

If you are looking for a somewhat affordable place to live where it is clean and safe then Meyerland is your best bet. Kolter or Parker are your primary schools while Johnston is the middle school. You would have to use private school for High since one should go into Westbury High only with a concealed weapon, a tazer, and a ballistics vest on. Meyerland has excellent access to the city, mature tree lined streets, well kept large yards, and homes that are not cookie cutters (all look the same) like most post WW2 era tract housing or McMansions built in the past 20 years.

I am a long-time resident of West University. It is definitely a great place to live, as it is literally just 10-15 min away from any of the city's major destinations (downtown, galleria, museums, etc.), and you don't have to get on a freeway to get to any of those places. The neighborhood has the feel of an established neighborhod - it has mature trees, a few remaining old homes (more in the eastern portions), and it is very walkable. The city keeps the neighborhood clean and safe, and they offer a lot of amenities for families - parks, little league, churches, and neighborhood organizations.

However, I do feel that the prices in West U are way over-inflated for the amount of house and land that you get. Since West U is a separate municipality from the City of Houston, they levy taxes to support their own city services. Along with high property values, this causes taxes to be significantly higher in West U. The neighborhood is also not very diverse, as most of the residents are white upper-class professionals, some with huge egos and an "entitlement mentality".

From your description, I think that you would be better off looking in the Heights or parts of Montrose - both of these neighborhoods are more diverse, housing prices and taxes are lower, but parts of have a similar "feel" to West U.

West U is also home to the famous Darth Vader house that some plastic surgeon with tons of money built back in the late 80s.

Funny you mention that house. My best friend lives across from it. Looks like some sort of Illuminati clubhouse.

Archived