Bellaire/Southside Place/West University Place Real Estate

sevfiv

Back to post my feelings on the subject.

West University Place & South Side Place are both very nice areas right next to each other with a nice convenience to the Med Center, Galleria area and Downtown but there are definitely good and bad. I wish I had time to list everything!

Negatives: -One of the worst things that comes to mind is the potential for heavy flooding in the area. I have seen pictures of what happened during Allison and seeing things like that almost deterred my wife and I from moving into the immediate area.

-Traffic congestion in the area can be pretty awful at times, especially with all of the construction that is going on.

-Lack of room going down streets...I know it's petty but it can be frustrating when people park off of the curb.

Those are some of the negatives I can think of right now...anyone else have any?

Positives:-As stated earlier, the convenience to the Med Center & Rice University, Galleria area and Downtown are really nice. Easy to avoid the highways and get to where you need to be in the major areas.

-Beautiful tree-lined streets, especially when you get closer to Rice.

-Good mixture of older homes and newer homes in the neighborhoods.

-Seem to be somewhat more affordable than their Dallas counterparts.

-Great proximity to the major Universities in Houston IE Rice, U of H, HBU and the Med Schools.

-Patrolled very well. Gee, I wonder why? ^_^

As for the University Park & Highland Park areas. I can't find too many negatives here plus, I have only seen the area a couple of times with my wife. Houston is different because we live here.

Negatives:-If I had to say one it would probably be the prices. Houston seems to have the beat in the pricing of the homes but I could be wrong.

-I remember some of their roads being a little narrow as well.

Positives: -Great proximity to Uptown & Downtown Dallas

-Right down the street from SMU.

-Great little shops and eateries, especially Stromboli Cafe!

-Great schools!

-Very well established older homes.

The University Park & Highland Park area wins hands down in my book because of a better feel to me. Don't get me wrong, I love both areas but if I had to choose one to live in that's what I would pick.

For an affluent area as West. U, the roads are messed up. My car alignment got messed up driving around there over a few months.

I definitely agree with you on this one. To add to it they are doing a lot of construction in the area, which makes things very inconvenient at times...short term complaint??? Yes, but hopefully they capitalize on the road improvements.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back to post my feelings on the subject.

West University Place & South Side Place are both very nice areas right next to each other with a nice convenience to the Med Center, Galleria area and Downtown but there are definitely good and bad. I wish I had time to list everything!

Negatives: -One of the worst things that comes to mind is the potential for heavy flooding in the area. I have seen pictures of what happened during Allison and seeing things like that almost deterred my wife and I from moving into the immediate area.

-Traffic congestion in the area can be pretty awful at times, especially with all of the construction that is going on.

-Lack of room going down streets...I know it's petty but it can be frustrating when people park off of the curb.

Those are some of the negatives I can think of right now...anyone else have any?

Positives:-As stated earlier, the convenience to the Med Center & Rice University, Galleria area and Downtown are really nice. Easy to avoid the highways and get to where you need to be in the major areas.

-Beautiful tree-lined streets, especially when you get closer to Rice.

-Good mixture of older homes and newer homes in the neighborhoods.

-Seem to be somewhat more affordable than their Dallas counterparts.

-Great proximity to the major Universities in Houston IE Rice, U of H, HBU and the Med Schools.

-Patrolled very well. Gee, I wonder why? ^_^

As for the University Park & Highland Park areas. I can't find too many negatives here plus, I have only seen the area a couple of times with my wife. Houston is different because we live here.

Negatives:-If I had to say one it would probably be the prices. Houston seems to have the beat in the pricing of the homes but I could be wrong.

-I remember some of their roads being a little narrow as well.

Positives: -Great proximity to Uptown & Downtown Dallas

-Right down the street from SMU.

-Great little shops and eateries, especially Stromboli Cafe!

-Great schools!

-Very well established older homes.

The University Park & Highland Park area wins hands down in my book because of a better feel to me. Don't get me wrong, I love both areas but if I had to choose one to live in that's what I would pick.

I definitely agree with you on this one. To add to it they are doing a lot of construction in the area, which makes things very inconvenient at times...short term complaint??? Yes, but hopefully they capitalize on the road improvements.

I agree on the street width issue for West U. Luckily they don't allow people to rent out their garage apartments and thus fill the streets with even more parked cars. Can't exactly expand the street widths without cutting into the already small lots sizes either!

• 2 weeks later...

Heee, my parents rented a garage apartment in West U. when I was born in 1952. Even then, renting the garage apartment was against the deed restrictions. I'm sure everyone living in those garage apartments are either hired help or nieces and nephews.

• 7 months later...

The notoriously smelly West University sewage plant doesn't have the trees around it anymore (because of "Homeland Security" reasons) and apparently the smell is wafting farther out now.

Honestly, I drive by here often and it has smelled as bad as it always had. Maybe I just caught it at a good time...

Some Houston homeowners who live along Braes Bayou are upset with some West University officials. That's because they chopped down several trees that lined the back side of a wastewater treatment plant along the bayou. They say the trees were blocking the bad smell coming from the plant.

"It was a very nice view from here," said homeowner Hector Caram.

Caram built his home on Braes Bayou for a reason.

"It was pleasant," he said. "As pleasant as you can find within the city limits of Houston, to have all this green space."

Story continues below

Advertisement

That's why he's furious his view has suddenly changed. Frankly, he thinks his whole neighborhood now smells.

"It smells like raw sewage," said Caram. "That's what it smells like."

Last month, the city of West University Place cut down the thick crop of trees surrounding its sewage treatment plant on Kirby and North Braeswood within Houston city limits. And for neighbors who live, work or jog around there, the difference is jarring.

"You noticed it right away," said jogger Lauren Cozad. "You said, 'Oh, why'd they take those trees down,' because we didn't even know there was anything back there."

But West University Public Works Director Chris Peifer says his city didn't have a choice.

"It is a secure facility," said Peifer.

Peiffer told us the state ordered the city to clear the fence line here and increase visibility, so security guards can more easily spot anyone trying to break in there. He says it's a matter of homeland security.

So we had to ask. Does the city really consider this little plant a terrorist target?

"You never know, but terrorism is to disrupt one's life," said Peifer.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...article-6842622

It's amazing the thinks people think could be terrorist targets. Self-importance and fear-mongering will get you pretty far.

I drove by here 2-3 days ago, remember thinking it was more rank than usual, though I was driving east up N Braeswood by the entrance.

lol i agree, who in their right mind would look at that sewage plant and think

::ooh, thats a good place to start our terror plot! theyd never see it coming::

lol rediculous, all fear mongers

Funny thing is that what the airlines said about whining about the proposed security upgrade checks back in the early 90's.

Oh yeah, that they would cost too much AND inconvenience people too much.

I have been driving by it twice a day for the past week (before, only once and a while) and my goodness - if driving by is that bad, I'd hate to think what it's like for the school kids and folks at the apartments on the corner.

That being said, choosing to live near a sewage plant would have its drawbacks, trees or not.

lol i agree, who in their right mind would look at that sewage plant and think

::ooh, thats a good place to start our terror plot! theyd never see it coming::

lol rediculous, all fear mongers

Maybe the DHS realized that terrorists could make not a Dirty Bomb, but a "Dirty & Stinky Bomb" if they used sewage from the plant. :blink:

• 1 month later...

I am considering buying a house where the builder of record was a non-builder (a do it your selfer) who hired a builder in Bellaire to supervise all of the work and be the general contractor. However, I am having a hard time finding out who this mystery Bellaire builder is who supervised work on the house. The only clue I have is that he is a "well known" builder in Bellaire, whose son is also a builder. Any ideas on which Bellaire builder also has a son in the industry? Is there any way to obtain this information?

Cashiola, maybe? That family has been building in Bellaire for a while..

Not sure what they have built in the past, but today I mostly see the 4,000+ sq ft quotidian Mediterraneo-tuscan-villa style stuff crammed on a small lot.

Kinda like this (one of Cashiola's projects, but not sure of the architect):

k31305.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering buying a house where the builder of record was a non-builder (a do it your selfer) who hired a builder in Bellaire to supervise all of the work and be the general contractor. However, I am having a hard time finding out who this mystery Bellaire builder is who supervised work on the house. The only clue I have is that he is a "well known" builder in Bellaire, whose son is also a builder. Any ideas on which Bellaire builder also has a son in the industry? Is there any way to obtain this information?

What street is the house on? Can you give a few more clues?

• 1 year later...

How did your search go? I'm starting the process of selecting and Architect and would applicate any coaching during your build. I don't think I'll get away from 7k for the design - but I can say there are tons of options. ODesk has architects from Houston to Manila that are experienced with tons of credentials. As i read forums from experienced architects about having to learn CAD - i don't understand why they would not team up with offshore and get more competitive on price. They have the design experience - and offshore is the task labor ...

I'll pay top $$ for great design - but can't take $150 an hour to do drawings when i know i can get that for 3 USD offshore. I don't mean to offend - every industry is going through this - just curious if there are any first movings taking this approach. I'm a client willing to pay for someone that wants to make a run.

• 1 year later...

What's the positives and negatives of Bellaire? Seems like they took the early lead in zoning but it seems to have hampered their growth? Bellaire Triangle could be so much nicer but lack of vision and bureaucratic red tape seems to be keeping it from a nice destination for the Bellaire citizens. Also, what's up with the lack of trees? At least compared to West U.

There used to be a lot more trees when I lived there in the 70's and 80's. But that's what happens when you shoehorn a 5000 sq ft. house on a 6000 sq. ft lot. Something's got to give.

And about being too close to Gulfton - wouldn't that be a bonus - I mean the help has to live somewhere and you don't want them living too near you - but they still need to be able to walk or ride a bike to come serve your needs.

There used to be a lot more trees when I lived there in the 70's and 80's. But that's what happens when you shoehorn a 5000 sq ft. house on a 6000 sq. ft lot. Something's got to give.

And about being too close to Gulfton - wouldn't that be a bonus - I mean the help has to live somewhere and you don't want them living too near you - but they still need to be able to walk or ride a bike to come serve your needs.

True about the lack of trees. I have seen some really big oaks removed in the name of progress. Crime is bad though in Bellaire, especially on the west side closer to the barrio. Drive that area and you will see much more burglar bars and gates.

But of course, how could I forget!

Pro - super quick police (and fire) response

Con - most of the new builds I've walked through on the smaller lots (inside 610) aren't so great design wise and quality - just seems like there wasn't much thought going in to anything and the builds were quick (there were ~3 or 4 builders that dominated in the last decade).

That being written, new builds and originals on the larger lots (outside 610) seem to be in a different league (and the price reflects that).

As far as crime, my folks lived in Bellaire for over 20 years and there was one serial theft (potted plants) and one armed burglary/assault on the block. Also, a neighbor's son was murdered but it was because he was selling drugs and it went badly (and it didn't happen at home) so that's just an isolated incident of a rich kid getting in a bad situation..

What's the positives and negatives of Bellaire? Seems like they took the early lead in zoning but it seems to have hampered their growth? Bellaire Triangle could be so much nicer but lack of vision and bureaucratic red tape seems to be keeping it from a nice destination for the Bellaire citizens. Also, what's up with the lack of trees? At least compared to West U.

The intersection of Bissonnet and Bellaire is extraordinarily inefficient and creates a pedestrian desert. There has been some fumbling around with the idea of changing the flow of traffic around, but I don't think that that would be ideal. I also kind of the treelessness of the older commercial properties. It's strangely attractive, like visiting Kansas City for a few minutes; which is just long enough.

The old downtown part of Bellaire's big problem is demographics. They're great on one side, but the rest is all a gigantic void where developers and trendy retailers are concerned. OTOH, retail deeper in Gulfton does very well for the same reason. It's just that downtown Bellaire is a transition zone and it's in an awkward phase.

They re-aligned Bellaire and Bissonnet about 20-25 years ago when they put in the transit center at South Rice. That's why to the south side of Bellaire St. there is some awkward parking infront of the what used to be a Bank of America buiding at Bellaire and Rice (not sure if it's still there or not) I think it's cafe's and what-not now. I believe the road went on the outside of the large oaks at the time and the island was larger before the realignment. It also affected the land around the old Weingarten store there which became a Randalls.

I see the Starbucks on Rice and Bissonet which is always packed and think that it would do gangbusters if it was just physically bigger. There is a pent up demand for all the well to do Bellaire-ians(?). Unlike West U, there is a sizable commercial presence in the city proper and there is opportunity. Just need some vision. I read the West U Examiner and there is crossover news from Bellaire and there looks to be some civic projects that they are trying to get done that would really spruce up Bellaire. But seems disjointed. They have a new town center initiative but they also have the Tea's nursery park project way on the other side of town. At least they're not as land deprived as West U.

I grew up there and moved away in the early 90s, before the Bellaire boom really got booming. As far as I can tell from driving around and chatting with a few old neighbors, it's now chock full of mega-mansions, and retains precious little of the small town charm that made it such an awesome place to grow up. Of course, I'm a little jaded... My old house was demolished just a few weeks ago, along with the enormous live oak tree in the back yard. Some people have no soul... I think a lot of them live in Bellaire.

I think that's Houston area in general. Witness the entertainment that is any thread on the Heights.

But the flip side of that is I also lived quite a bit off and on in Bellaire and had to do my share of maintenance on poorly built houses. That housing stock was tired and worn-out. While I'm not enamoured with the new, what is being replaced is nothing special. It is/was obsolete.

Yup, we had this conversation in the McMansion thread. Even these so called McMansion are light year ahead of old stock houses in terms of efficiency that they use less energy than a house half it's square footage.

• The title was changed to The New Bellaire
  • The title was changed to Bellaire/Southside Place/West University Place Real Estate
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived