Margaret M. Alkek-Williams Center For Dance At 601 Preston St.

KinkaidAlum

Very good news for downtown!! I wonder which district it will be placed in when completed,cuz it sure looks close to Historic District,Market Square,Skyline,and the Theater district within downtowns 1 mile radius...

201158-400-0-1.jpg

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why was that old rendering posted?

Narrowing down the districts a bit, and took Main Street Corridor off...remaining possibilities appear to still be Historic District,Market Square,Skyline,and the Theater district within downtowns 1 mile radius...

I was just trying to understand what district this building will be associated with since there are so many districts within downtowns 1 mile radius. Once banners get posted on every corner to advertise the convention center area will our CBD get renamed GBD ?...Perhaps a year round banner for GB will be hung at the corner where this building is being built.I thought there was 1 downtown...

http://houstondowntown.com/Home/GeneralInfo/About/Districts/

http://houstondowntown.com/Home/GeneralInfo/About/Districts/

I was just trying to understand what district this building will be associated with since there are so many districts within downtowns 1 mile radius. Once banners get posted on every corner to advertise the convention center area will our CBD get renamed GBD ?...Perhaps a year round banner for GB will be hung at the corner where this building is being built.I thought there was 1 downtown...

http://houstondownto...bout/Districts/

http://houstondownto...bout/Districts/

http://www.houstonar...wn/page__st__50

It's in the Theater District. And yes theres just 1 downtown, its just there are numerous districts within Downtown. It isn't too confusing, just don't pay attention to them, there just there so you distinguish certain parts of DT from other parts.

For example even though, in actuality DT isnt large in area, different parts of it serve different purposes, and you can be in the convention center district surrounded by parking lots, or on the other end of it, you can be in the skyline district surrounded by skyscrapers.

The districts are just markers for a person to distinguish what part of DT they're in.

Edited by citizen4rmptown

One example:Main Street Square and Market Square.Couple the similarity in the names along with the placement of a statue about Market Square displayed in Main Street Square and if someone didn't know any better they might think that they were in market square.Also factor in that I don't believe that Market Square has even been designated as a district.Instead I believe it's called the Historic District.I know where Market Square is and appreciate the historical and cultural significance of the area along with the rest of downtown.It seems like a lot of effort is centered around placing attention on the Main St.Square,HP,GRB,Hltn hotel area.I bet that entire area is all in the same district,imagine that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just noticed yesterday that they've put up the first glass. Look at the floor up one from the sky walk on the south side (web cam shot).

It's really cool, it's like the glass has decals in/on it. I don't have time to look and compare to the rendering, but what appears to be wall might actually be glass.

Gotta hit the HAIF happy hour now...

I see it too, on the side of the building that actually faces Wortham Center, but I'll post an update as it progresses more.

This might actually end up looking like the rendering, one reason I say this is because the skywalk in the rendering looks so weird, but they've already constructed that wave design on it, so it wasn't just for show.

Also noticed from the webcam is that they've fenced off that green area next to the site, don't know what it is, a park? part of the bayou? In any case, its fenced off, and am wondering if anybody knows why?

...the glass on the rendering and here dont match up to me. looks like something different as well as the pattern is completely different. humph

I don't think that it is much different. The walls are clad with small pieces of granite which are overlain by glass. The entire outside wall is glass with the granite behind. That is difficult to render in a drawing. Depending on the light you may not even see the underlying granite between the windows.

Edited by gto250us

...Also noticed from the webcam is that they've fenced off that green area next to the site, don't know what it is, a park? part of the bayou? In any case, its fenced off, and am wondering if anybody knows why?

I don't know what is going on behind the Wortham. The amphitheater like park area north of the theater is all scratched up. Don't know if it is connected with the Ballet building construction or what. Anyone know what might be going on?

• 3 weeks later...