Best Mexican Restaurant

I believe it is Guatemalan food. I've just never acquired the taste of that place. I seem to remember my big complaint was the price vs. the quality of the food. Rice and beans are cheap.

Love that place. The menu says is "Guatamala-Mexico fusion". I'm not sure what exactly that means, but they have darn good plantains! :D

• 1 month later...
Love that place. The menu says is "Guatamala-Mexico fusion". I'm not sure what exactly that means, but they have darn good plantains! :D

Subdude, I have to ask what is up with the crazy robot on your posts. I know this is way off topic, but it is killing me. Is it from a movie or something. It looks familar, but that might be because you post often so I keep seeing it.

Subdude, I have to ask what is up with the crazy robot on your posts. I know this is way off topic, but it is killing me. Is it from a movie or something. It looks familar, but that might be because you post often so I keep seeing it.

Why, it's Johnny Sokko's Giant Flying Robot!

Johnny Sokko:

js02.jpg

Giant Robot (another shot):

js01.jpg

I can't upload avatars for some reason, so I decided to go with a linked picture, and I love robots. Giant robots especially. :D

Domo arigato for the link. Is pretty funny when it fights off the little kids in the sandbox. :lol:

yeah! what a violent robot! :D

15egyvc.jpg

15egz1t.jpg

15egz7a.jpg

is that a cigarette?!

so yeah, mexican food...i went to chapultapec the other day, and was more impressed with the drinks than the food...

• 9 months later...

Are their any mex restaraunts with salsa-bar? The ones with 10+ different salsas customers can go and help themselves. I knew couple of places like that in NorCal and really enjoyed these. I also remember very positive experience with some small taquerias where spanish was the first language on the menu. Not too pretty - but the food was so goooood. I am arond Med Center so if you know of any - let me know.

Are their any mex restaraunts with salsa-bar? The ones with 10+ different salsas customers can go and help themselves. I knew couple of places like that in NorCal and really enjoyed these. I also remember very positive experience with some small taquerias where spanish was the first language on the menu. Not too pretty - but the food was so goooood. I am arond Med Center so if you know of any - let me know.

Taco Milagro at Kirby & Westheimer has a salsa bar like you're describing. They offer about six (maybe eight?) plus a selection of cilantro, jalapenos, and pickled carrots & onions which are addictive. The other Taco Milagros around suburban Houston are seated, table service places with a completely different menu so I don't know if they would have the salsa bar, but the original does.

There are way toooo many threads to see if these have been mentioned but if you want REAL Mexican food, you need to go in to the OLDER mostly Hispanic areas. I dont mean SW Houston but places like Near North Side (Irvington row) or Denver Harbor all minutes from downtown. There is one on Lyons Ave called El Pentejamo or something like that. It has the basics and the servings are big and the prices cheap, really. Small place but who cares its the quality. There is another Mexican place a few blocks away (forgot name) but there is a Fiesta store just caddy corner from it. They are pretty good and authentic as it gets.

People focus too much on the mainstream joints like Ninfa's (give me a break) we used to call that Astroworld food because it was as real as well....a TV dinner. What is even more bizarre is the public has no idea that most cliche' mainstream Mexican restaurants are not even owned & operated by Hispanic people. Like Don Carlos' is owned by a middle east dude. Surprise! :lol:

So again for reality Mexican food head for the real thing. :P and avoid the generic/cliche'.

There are way toooo many threads to see if these have been mentioned but if you want REAL Mexican food, you need to go in to the OLDER mostly Hispanic areas. I dont mean SW Houston but places like Near North Side (Irvington row) or Denver Harbor all minutes from downtown. There is one on Lyons Ave called El Pentejamo or something like that. It has the basics and the servings are big and the prices cheap, really. Small place but who cares its the quality. There is another Mexican place a few blocks away (forgot name) but there is a Fiesta store just caddy corner from it. They are pretty good and authentic as it gets.

People focus too much on the mainstream joints like Ninfa's (give me a break) we used to call that Astroworld food because it was as real as well....a TV dinner. What is even more bizarre is the public has no idea that most cliche' mainstream Mexican restaurants are not even owned & operated by Hispanic people. Like Don Carlos' is owned by a middle east dude. Surprise! :lol:

So again for reality Mexican food head for the real thing. :P and avoid the generic/cliche'.

Are you referring to "real" Mexican food? Or "real" Tex-Mex? I'm interested in real, cheap Tex-Mex.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been to Bravo's on Hwy 6, b4 you get to 59? I went there and enjoyed my nachos. I was stunned that they used queso, instead of real cheese, but I was impressed. The fajita meet was fantastically seasoned, our service was great, and our bill reasonable. While I was there, my partner's cousin's daughter was silly. She kept getting up to "get some baloons and gum." Well, when we were about to leave, some of the waiters came out, and put a sombrero on my head, then immeidately took it off my head, and put it on lil Meagan's head, then came behind her and smushed some whipped cream in her face! The joke was really on her, wasn't it? That was too cute!

My partner makes a great frito pie. Freshly grated cheese on top of an old family chilli recipe, on top of those big frito's scoops. Funny thing is that the chilli tastes like nacho's, but messier. Pour some Pace's on it and dig in!

When it comes to Tex-Mex, I'm spoiled. I grew up eating fresh hard and soft tacos, enchiladas, breakfast tacos, and nachos. So, when it comes to tex-mex I'm picky. El Fenix in Dallas is my fav. Funny thing is, my mom is this lil itty bitty thing from Chillicothe, TX, but she can make a MEAN taco!

Best Mexican restaurants are the little taquerias.

except taqueria arandas :unsure: those places are awful!!!!!

roochies or ruchies (sp?) that place is bad too

gorditas aguascalientes goes on the bad list also

but those wont discourage me, lol. i'll still keep hoppin those places till i find a good one :)

Edited by TexasArchitect

except taqueria arandas :unsure: those places are awful!!!!!

roochies or ruchies (sp?) that place is bad too

gorditas aguascalientes goes on the bad list also

but those wont discourage me, lol. i'll still keep hoppin those places till i find a good one :)

I've been to Arandas twice. They're not bad. I always go to the ones where they hardly speak english. So I don't know the names, only the locations.

Plus, I always get tortas, so.

If you're ever in the Deer Park/Pasadena area, try Don'key. It's on Spencer Highway, between the Beltway and Preston.

Great food, great prices, and low maintenance atmosphere.

The Don'Key was our family's official meeting place for many years...for one reason or another (probably space limitations), we've migrated down Spencer Highway to Mamacita's. I always liked Don'Key...especially the "border" atmosphere as you pull into the parking lot. Haven't been there for probably 10 years now.

However, I do like Mamacita's a lot. I like the fact that you can get cochinita pibil instead of cheese enchiladas if you're in the mood. If you're ever at Mamacita's and see a table of 30, that would be us! :)

For Father's Day we ended up across the street at the Border Grill, and while it was OK, it didn't match Mamacita's for quality in my opinion.

However, I do like Mamacita's a lot. I like the fact that you can get cochinita pibil instead of cheese enchiladas if you're in the mood. If you're ever at Mamacita's and see a table of 30, that would be us! :)

...for those that don't want to drive to pasadena, the owners of mamacitas are the owners of el jardin on harrisburg too.

I've been to Arandas twice. They're not bad. I always go to the ones where they hardly speak english. So I don't know the names, only the locations.

Plus, I always get tortas, so.

at arandas the tortas would probably be the only good thing they have. and i think it's most arandas where they hardly speak english, lol.

my torta order always is "torta al pastor sin crema con un orchata grande" B)